Surefire 6P & A2 Aviator beam nuances

batman

Enlightened
Hi all,

I may be rehashing an old topic here but I have not been succesful with the search feature as of recently. I do recall earlier comparisons between the A2 Aviator and the Surefire 6p original that intrigue me and bring up a few questions.
The P60 lamp assembly for the 6P original is conservatively rated at 65 lumens by Surefire. It also shows a higher throw rating than the A2 on flA$lightreview$.com. But the A2 is rated as having higher lux output than the 6P and on the order of 79 lumens by independant testing, as opposed to the conservative 50 lumen Surefire rating - so is it actually brighter than the 6p?
If i remember correctly the 6P throws further with a tighter hotspot than the A2 while the A2 beam is brighter, whiter but floodier than the 6p, correct?
You guys are great, thanks again.
with light,
Batman

redcar

Enlightened
Just compared my A2 and 6P (w/P60 bulb):

Spots are roughly the same size.
A2 spot is more of an oval.
6P spot is almost round.
6P has brighter spill.
A2 has wider spill.
6P is slightly brighter with new batteries in both.
They are about the same brightness with slighty used batteries in both.
The A2 is brighter with used batteries in both.

Redd

batman

Enlightened
Thanks for the testing redcar, very informative. I wish I could test some of the surefires at a local retailer but this is *cough* Oklahoma of course.

Chris201W

Enlightened
Here's my take on the differences between the A2 beam and the P60 beam:

The A2 has a smaller hotspot, surrounded by dimmer spill. The P60's hotspot may not be quite as bright as the A2's, but it's a lot bigger, rounder, and it fades smoothly into a much brighter, more usable sidespill.

In my experience, the A2 is better for pinpointing specific objects at a distance, while the P60 is better for seeing the whole picture at medium range.

dragoman

Enlightened
Wait 30 min, and then compare them after they are both on....

A2 will win this test every time.....love regulation for incans.

dragoman