Blackout on Fathers Day

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm bored at work, so I thought I'd share my first blackout with my lights on me.

I was out with my fiance's family Father's Day weekend at a restaurant. It was a typical chinese multicourse dinner. Around course 3, the lights in the building went out. The complete restaurant went dark (sad since there were 2 wedding receptions going on at the time in the restaurant also) and I quickly pulled out my Vital Stream Scorpion-FB1 and shined it on the ceiling. It lit up most of the dining area and lit up our two tables fine. I continued eating since now I could see everything on my table fine. No one else ate tho...guess I'm a pig. My fiance also pulled out her Fenix P1 and our 2 lights lit up everything great! My fiance put her P1 away tho since my Vital Stream was providing enough light. Afterwards, a lady pulled out what looked to be a 2x 123A xenon light. I couldn't tell what brand, but it didn't look like a SF, but didn't look crappy either. Our 2 lights provided all the light for the entire restaurant. A few minutes later, a restaurant employee brought out one of those x-million candlepower lights and shined it at the ceiling. It lasted about 10-15 minutes before it faded to uselessness. At about the 25 minute mark, the lady's xenon light started to fade quickly. My light was again the only one that lit up the restaurant. My fiance and some members of her family started noticing some restaurant patrons and employees started to gather around our table. Some other patrons pulled out some dim keychain lights, likely crappy promotional freebies. I pulled out my keymate also and it was much brighter than anything other people had. After about 30-some-odd minutes, we decided to leave and many of the other patrons left with us since we were the only light source. It turned out about 3 or 4 city blocks around us had power go out. Most the parking for the restaurant (and complex) was underground and there were no lighting. My fiance's brother parked down there and borrowed her Fenix P1 to get his car. I luckily parked outside.

Immediately upon arriving home, everyone started telling me how useful my light was and how it was the only one that lit up virtually the whole dining area (minus the wedding areas since those had walls separating them from the dining area) and lasted the entire time. I still had battery life to spare also. My fiance's two brothers and her sister then told me to order them lights, so I've since purchased 2 more Fenix P1s, a Huntlight FT01 (awaiting delivery), and a Ilumibeam Ulteon TF1 for them. One brother already has a Nuwai ALX-2611X, the other brother has a SL Scorpion, and the sister has a SL TL-2 I had purchased for them as x-mas previously, along with each having a SL KeyMate, but now they saw the usefulness of a bright light being on them and they wanted more. I was hoping for another blackout to really lock them all in to be semi-flashaholics, but that didn't happen. Oh well...it's a start I guess.

Last edited:

woodentsick

Enlightened
Nice story!

If that happened to me I'd be acting as though it was unstrange to suddenly whip out a super-bright light out of your pocket, turn it on and continue eating :D

Of course that's not strange for us CPFers but you know how other people can be :thumbsdow