Would it be possible to convert 6C Mag Lite to LED?

Raven

Enlightened
I see some LED Mags on eBay, but they're d cell. Any specific reason why a 6c couldn't be converted to LED?

Raven

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
because 6 C is really too much power? because it's not very very very popular? because if people get something that size, they sure want something super bright (which *ag *ite is not anyway)

Raven

Enlightened
Well I'm an electronics boob ) I can manage to program my vcr, but that's about it.

That's why I was curious about the 6c, because I find d cell mag lites too bulky, and I was hoping that more batteries in a c cell mag would equal longer run time, if it was converted to led, but I'm almost certain I'm wrong. I just wanted to ask the pros, to be sure.

I'd really love to hear some more opinions on this. I'm one of those people that love everything about maglites, "except" the light itself. Ha, well not really. I love the brightness that my 6c gives me, but as any mag lite owner knows, the output is very uneven and irregular.

I'd really appreciate more opinions on converting a 6c, or even better, has Mag Lite Corp. ever commented on perhaps creating an LED bulb replacement?

Thanks

Raven

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
*ag *ite Corp has not commented on creating an LED bulb replacement. They are pretty much the design they are 25 years ago. 6 C... hmm..... you can try putting a 5 watt Luxeon Star inside.

Instructions here: http://home.mchsi.com/~lambda/cycont.htm

6 C cells will really be pusing the limited of the 5 watt LS though.

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
With proper heatsinking, no reason a 5W Luxeon wouldn't work in a 6C Mag. That's a lot of flashlight to carry, but should run for hours and hours.......

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah, I suddenly remembered that we don't have to doubt our modder's prowress with heat sink machining and over-driving anything possible in the flashlight world.
grin.gif