Trying to revert to unelightened mind

Illum

Flashaholic
Its fruitless to try and alter my own thinking from flashlights to girls

I feel its time [at the age of 20] to start dating...

Girls would want to hear more about love and lust and desire and passion and not lumens or spectrograph or LEDs or lithium batteries

is there a rehab for this?

Ive told otheres that theres no "antidote" for this, but I never truly bellieved that theres no cure...

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you feel that it's really really bad, and you really can't refocus your thoughts, a psychologist or other mental health professional would probably be in order. However before going that route, other alternatives that might also work are church groups, peer social/fraternal organizations or clubs, and various school functions/groups if you're currently in college. I'd avoid the various websites regardless of whether they are "meet markets" or for-pay sites; is sounds like you need to separate part of your focus from technology as a whole.

Illum_the_nation said:

Girls would want to hear more about love and lust and desire and passion and not lumens or spectrograph or LEDs or lithium batteries

Ive told otheres that theres no "antidote" for this, but I never truly bellieved that theres no cure...

Warp

Enlightened
If you pick up other hobbies it won't be as repetitive. I have two serious hobbies (cars and guns) and a few lesser hobbies (flashlights, preparedness, etc) so nothing gets too repetitive.

fasuto

Enlightened
Illum_the_nation said:

You can wait a few years more. You are to young ;-)

lightrod

Enlightened
Do your own thing dude - not what you think you're "supposed to". And be OK with it! One "vice" is usually replaced by a worse one anyway. What's wrong with bringing a little more brightness to the world?

OK that will be 2 cents (paypal accepted).

AlexSchira

Enlightened
I've been dating since I was twelve, been into flashlights to some extent since I was fifteen. I remember stashing a stock Mini Mag in my little suit when I went to my first high school dance as a freshman, good times, and it was great to have when we snuck out to the parking lot through a storage room attached to the gym, it went that badly. They had a teacher playing DJ. Enough said.
The key to finding a mate while still enjoying flashlights, is to mix them in with other little gadgets. Have a pocketknife, a lighter, a fancy phone, things you enjoy that others may find interesting. Be a 'Gadget Guy', not a 'Flashlight guy'. Now, when it is time to mention lights if you do at all, keep it simple. Don't show off something with external regulators and tritium inserts all over it. Don't even try mentioning the technical aspects of the thing. Keep it simple. If you want to modify your EDC for dates or full time date-seeking, being able to conceal the light is absolutely necessary. Don't use a belt pouch. Keep it hidden in your pocket. Sometimes, lights can actually appeal to a girl in a curious or nostalgic manner. The first time my now live-in girlfriend saw one of my modified Mini Maglites, she went on about how her father has had a red one on his dashboard for twenty years, and that her grandfather purchased a then expensive and high-end full size Maglite shortly after coming over from Cuba, to this day the old guy can point to the shelf of his room and talk about the day he bought it. Maglites suck, in incan form at least, and the compnay has made some stupid moves. But it's familiar enough to not mark you off as a geek, it actually tends to give off a masculine, 'works with hands' appeal.
Hate Maglites? Get a Photon. Any kind. Any color beam, any color body. My girlfriend and all her female friends love those things to death. It's a nice gift if you really like the girl, and they're cheap enough at batteryjunction to give one to your entire harem. My girl just got herself a gemstone-blue Photon Freedom yesterday, and she wore it like jewelry on the necklace clip to work today. Women aren't a different species, or an inferior one. They just look deeper into some things, and not so deep in others. Men wear old jeans and drool over flashlights, women just like cars because they're easier than walking...and drool over shoes.

dragoman

Enlightened
Best thing to do is find a girl that you enjoy being with. That is the secret.

My and my wife had zero in common when we first met. We both learned each others' hobbies, etc... as we got to know each other. What we liked to do was unimportant. The fact that being with her, spending time with her is more important that what we are doing.

That is why she goes with me to play golf (drives the cart) even though she hates the heat and such in the summer, doesn't play golf, and doesn't even like it at all. But she's with me while I'm doing something I enjoy, and that is why she does it.

Similarly, I take her shopping once in a while, wander through every store she does, hold clothes that she wants to buy, carry the bags, etc....not because I enjoy it (I'd rather go to the dentist) but because it makes her happy.

Thats what it is all about. Trying to find the girl that has the exact same interests you do......won't happen. Learning to spend time with someone for the sake of spending time with them, regardless of what you do, is the key to making a relationship work.

That and great sex :D

Enjoy!

dragoman

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stick with flashlights. We're programmed to want to pursue the opposite sex but the reality is that the chase isn't nearly as wonderful as we'd like to believe! Work hard in school and focus on developeing yourself and your life over the next few years. If you are focused on your life (even if flashlights and technology attract alot of your attention) and build it up well then when you are 26-30 ish you will be amazed at how the chicas start after you like flies. At 20 many young women are so consumed with the power of there own sexuality that they are fickle and silly. In a few years, with a fresh crop of young ditzy hotties behind them to give them some perspective (and friends getting married and having babies) there priorities begin to shift dramatically.

Also, at this stage of the game, there isn't much that can derail you faster from high minded goals than a relationship. It's also very nice to be able to make longterm decisions based on what is best for you rather than the two of you.

Illum_the_nation said:

Illum

Flashaholic
Scythe_rr said:
You're buggered mate, give up now

"Failure is not an option, it is a reality..." logics

Brighteyez said:
If you feel that it's really really bad, and you really can't refocus your thoughts, a psychologist or other mental health professional would probably be in order.

Well, its not something I have do under a situation of life and death, Im only bwginning to think about "changing what I do" into something new, I can stick with flashlights for maybe half a decade without feeling annoyed, just... from friend's stories about their dates and fun, I feel like Im missing alot...

fasuto said:
You can wait a few years more. You are to young ;-)

you sound like Mom

TinderBox (UK) said:
if you have lots of money, the girls wont care what you talk about.

regards.

"Lots of money" doesnt fit well in this society, not only do you get to have girls, but you would suddenly find yourself among strangers that will try anything to convince you that "we were buddies/good friends in ____ school, whether its preK, 1-6, 7-8, or 9-12, besides, in debt since started this flashlight buying business, in debt not as cutting into my credit, but in debt as cutting into my life savings.

Still thanks for the reply
Wishful thinking is essential

AlexSchira said:
Hate Maglites? Get a Photon. Any kind. Any color beam, any color body. My girlfriend and all her female friends love those things to death. It's a nice gift if you really like the girl, and they're cheap enough at batteryjunction to give one to your entire harem. My girl just got herself a gemstone-blue Photon Freedom yesterday, and she wore it like jewelry on the necklace clip to work today. Women aren't a different species, or an inferior one. They just look deeper into some things, and not so deep in others. Men wear old jeans and drool over flashlights, women just like cars because they're easier than walking...and drool over shoes.

interesting, Ill keep that in mind

I feel so much better already

mahoney

Enlightened
First, relax a little. Relationships seem to find people who are open to one, but not desperately seeking one.

If you want to find a woman who will enjoy talking to you about flashlights and other gadgets, you'll have to go where they can be found. A couple suggestions to start you off; work backstage at a theatre, join a camping, caving, or climbing club.

carrot

Flashaholic
I am flashlight obsessed, but I can carry on long conversations without involving flashlights at all. I suspect you can as well? Otherwise, it's time for a pop culture infusion. ;)