Keymate Turbo Light Revived

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a Streamlight Keymate today and modded it with a Smjled,its much brighter than stock! Very WIDE floody beam with a decent hot spot. Pretty cool and surprisingly bright for its size. I cannot take credit for this idea . I read it here , actually from Lambda. I was looking for a good use for smjled and to learn a bit more about modding. I learned its not as easy as you think. But I did it.

Stock keymate

Turbo Keymate Smjled

beam pattern

The little light itself with flash.

Last edited:

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Keymate and spare SMJLED waiting here, but I haven't gotten brave enough to bust into it yet.

I bought a Keymate about a year ago to mod, but my daughter grabbed it. I bought another one, but my wife grabbed it. I bought about 10 of them to give as Christmas gifts to the women in our families, then my wife wanted to give some to her co-workers so I had to buy another 10. Finally I ended up with one for myself.

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Give it a try,its a bit of a pain to get the led out of the head,but its doable.I broke one of the 3 plastic pins holding it. Putting it togeather and getting it to turn on reliable was a pain,in the end I took out the 3 pins and added a little more solder now it works ,but once in a while I needto give it a full turn or 2, then tighten it to make good solid contact with the positve plate, Ill probably fiddle with it some more,ant ideas to get it to work perfect every time? Anyone else done this mod????Still well worth the effort!:)I thik I just need to epoxy the plate in place.

Last edited:

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
bjn,
Did you try it yet? I put some epoxy where the 3 plactic pins were and now its working every time! Well worth the effort ,give it a try its really cool little light now!
Take off the head and break the 3 plastic pins,remove led ,cut the smjled wires the same length,bend it around the black plastic piece,be carful and note pos and neg wires on the led. Epxoy the metal plate(pos)in place ,I added a bit of solder to the very small solder. screw it togeather and your done. Now go play with it ,you will be surprised. I also took a conical grinding disc to enlarge the opening in the metal pos plate and reflector.The led just sits there ,so be careful when you change the batteries,it will fall out.