• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Run Begins: Exolion in Stainless Steel - More Available

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update 25 October

Shipping completed. You can track the package at Hong Kong Post with the tracking number listed. For those in the US, you can also track it at the USPS Website after the package has arrived in the US.

Update 23 October

First batch shipped. I intend to complete shipping in another two batches, so everything should be sent out by Wednesday. I will update the list with tracking numbers once everything has been shipped.

Update 20 October

I've received the bodies and have started assemblying the Exolion SS. I should have them completed by this weekend and will begin sending them out on Monday.

Update 13 Oct

The Exolion SS bodies have been delayed a few days and will only be sent to engraving early next week. As such, I will only be able to start sending these out late next week or possibly the following Monday.

Update 4 Oct

Exolion SS bodies still being machined. These should be completed sometime next week, after which they will be sent for engraving. All other components have arrived. From the look of this schedule, I'm expecting to start sending these out around 17 October..

Update 21 Sept

I've just checked with AW and he doesn't have any protected RCR2 batteries available until late October. Since that is the case, I have no choice but to supply unprotected RCR2s for this batch of Exolion SS.

Update 11 Sept

The machine shop has started machining the Exolion SS bodies. All components, except for the sandwich have arrived. I'm expecting to receive the sandwich sometime this coming week.

Please note that this is NOT a limited run, so there are additional Exolion SS available. If you are interested in one, please pay according to the instructions in the first post to get on the list.

Update 5 September

There is finally enough interest for the run to begin. Payment is now due, with delivery of the Exolion SS about 4-5 weeks after payment. The price is $185 + $10 for registered airmail. Due to the time and hassle of filling in additional forms, I will not send these out by EMS.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

This is an interest list for an Exolion in Stainless Steel (SS). These will be laser engraved with "Exolion SS" and will NOT have a serial number. Aside from the difference in material, the design and functions of the Exolion SS will be the same as the first run limited edition.

A summary of specifications as follows:
Full Stainless Steel body
Brass "Can" for better heat transference
UCL™ lens from Flashlightlens.com for 99% light transmission
McGizmo's McR-16 reflector for that perfect beam
Premium TXOH emitter
Three stage light (Low, High, Burst), with user adjustable High level
Full O-Ring protection
Green Tritium Vial in the tail
RCR2 battery
Dimensions: 50mm x 18.9mm
Weight with battery: 46 grams (compare: Exolion Ti = 34 Grams, Raw NS = 49 grams)

See the pictures of the first Exolion SS prototype below:

exolionss.jpg

Price will be $185 + $10 for registered airmail.

Please register your interest by posting on this thread. I will keep an updated list of interested buyers in this first post. When a sufficient number of people have registered interest, I will collect payment, and deliver the Exolion SS around four weeks after that.

bst24.jpg

Last edited:

XFlash

Enlightened
Re: Interest List: Exolion in Stainless Steel

I'm in for one.
Love the Ti.
Thanks

SteveStephens

Newly Enlightened

I'll take #9 please (or 7 or no # or whatever). Of course there are no ser. #'s which is just fine. Paypal ready.

Steve

Last edited:

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Interest list updated. Again, please note that there are NO SERIAL NUMBERS for the Exolion SS CR2.

flex76italy

Enlightened

Hi gregw, why not exolion in bare AL? :whistle:

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast

flex76italy said:
Hi gregw, why not exolion in bare AL? :whistle:

Sorry, no interest in making a bare AL Exolion... It just isn't tough enough for keychain use, which is the purpose of the Exolion Ti/SS CR2...

Cobweb Hunter

Newly Enlightened

Hi Greg,

I'm still very happy with the Ti and wish you continued success with the SS version. You pulled off the Ti version so beautifully; with the tooling in place, the 4 week-ride for those who sign up for the SS version should be really sweet!

I don't mean to complicate things for you, but someone will ask this eventually anyway: Any thought to offering the option of the Flupic v. 2.1 or new 2.2 firmware with a U-bin at a premium?
It seems that so many Exolion Ti limited edition owners made this mod, that it would be a nice out-of-the-box option for SS buyers and more cost effective for them not to have to retire the original stock engine/emitter. JM2C :) ....

Thanks,

Cobweb Hunter

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Exolion will only come with the simplified interface, as I don't really want to add another variable into the mix by offering different interfaces. As is true with the Ti version, the sandwich in the SS version can easily be switched out by the end user to whatever version of FluPIC that they want.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast

how does this light handle the heat? SS Isn't too good at conductivity... Are we just relying on the long life of the LED? or is heat transfer taken in account with the design? Thanks!

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast

jar3ds said:
how does this light handle the heat? SS Isn't too good at conductivity... Are we just relying on the long life of the LED? or is heat transfer taken in account with the design? Thanks!

The heat is handled the same way it was in the Exolion Ti. There is a brass Can that holds the sandwich tight, allowing the heat to transfer from the emitter to the Can, and then to the body. Regardless of the specs on SS or Ti, the Exolion body WILL get hot quite quickly in burst mode due to the small size of the Exolion and the thin body shell. The body shell on the Exolion Ti only measures 0.4mm thickness, and I expect the SS version to be about the same.

Nedtheshred

Enlightened

Hi Greg,

I want one, especially if you don't run the SE 4th Exolion edition.

I love this light..Great work.

Ned

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nedtheshred said:
Hi Greg,

I want one, especially if you don't run the SE 4th Exolion edition.

I love this light..Great work.

Ned

The Exolion SE will still be made..

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast

can the exolion run a primary cr2? If not why don't we just use a U-bin LED?