Best option for powered collimated beam?

Ericsc

Newly Enlightened
OK - this isn't directly on point with these forums, but I think it's close enough and definitely in the spirit.

For a big art project I'm working on I'm trying to put together a small scale version of a traditional searchlight - you know, those things used at movie openings to draw attention from miles away.

factors:
  • Needs to be able to support being continuously on for periods of around 8 hours.
  • I can supply 120vAC (up to around 17 amps) or 12vdc (up to 12amps). 12vAC preferred. The generator's actually a 2800 watt inverter based gennie capable of more than the above amperage, but I want to use the excess for other things. Batteries don't really make sense in this case.
  • < 5 degree beam spread - less is better.
  • I'd like to get the light output equivalent of 500-1000W of xenon
  • I can spend around $600
  • Needs to be (somewhat) weatherproof
  • It will be fixed in place, pointing straight up.
  • I'm fine with used items
I've looked into actual commercial searchlights and they run in the many thousands of dollars, even used. I've looked at outdoor theater lights, and they are also very expensive. I've mostly looked at things with individual bulbs in the 500-1500 watt range.

Questions:
  • Anyone have any ideas of lights that meet the above criteria?
  • Would it make more sense to look at using a bunch of lower wattage lights positioned closely together and pointed in the same direction instead of one bigger light?
  • Anyone know of where I could get appropriate reflectors if I tried to create my own?
  • Know of any existing car headlamps that might work?
I really appreciate any help.

Thanks!
-Eric

Orbit

Enlightened
$600 is a very tight budget to do what you want.
something like sways lightforce 50watt conversion would probably be all you could get i reckon...maybe streach it to 2 or 3, but that will be a LONG way short of 1000W of xenon short arc lumens. VSS serieres are going "cheap" on ebay if yu could find one (havea read of the thread) but in the long run will cost you more then 600.
What you must realise is that to produce the amount of light takes alot of energy and alot of cost in engineering to produce. cheapest i've seen something like that on ebay is about $2000.

You might want to rethink how much light you need?
or how you want to use the light.

ORB.

dragoman

Enlightened
Ummmmm.....maybe my math is wrong, but there's no way to get 1000W out of a 12V source outputting 12 amps. 144W by my calcs.......

Unless you've got one hell of a boost circuit.

I mean, a Mag100 draws what, like 8-9 amps, and thats a handheld light.

dragoman

Ericsc

Newly Enlightened
Orbit said:
$600 is a very tight budget to do what you want.
something like sways lightforce 50watt conversion would probably be all you could get i reckon...maybe streach it to 2 or 3, but that will be a LONG way short of 1000W of xenon short arc lumens. VSS serieres are going "cheap" on ebay if yu could find one (havea read of the thread) but in the long run will cost you more then 600.

Thanks for the response!

What's the full product name for the "VSS Series"?
I did find an old marine salvaged 12 inch reflector 750 watt incandescent searchlight locally (runs off 120v AC) for around $250. How would that compare in light output to a modern xenon setup?
I've seen a lot of the 1, 2, 3, 6, 10, or 15 "million candlepower" flashlights around for relatively little money. Might it make sense to gang a bunch of these together and convert them to run off line power so I can get long run times? Most don't seem to have very tight beams though...
I assume that the candlepower ratings of real searchlights are more accurate than those of popular flashlights, right? So for example, a 12" searchlight that says 1.2 million candlepower is likely brighter than a 15million candlepower flashlight? Or does that not make sense?
Are there any other lights discussed on this group that tend to have good tight beams? That lightforce conversion looks nice and tight - are there others that are cheaper (and maybe lower power)?
Ideally I'd have one big bulb and reflector, but I am just not thinking it's going to happen unless I go for that incandescent searchlight - and I'm just not clear about how bright that would be.
The lightforce 50watt conversion does look kind of cool - hm...

I really appreciate your help and knowledge. Thanks again!

-Eric

Orbit

Enlightened
The multi-light approach won't achieve what you want.
Candle power ratings are at best dodgey.
The halogen should get you the "light sabre" your after. (remembering at 750 watts it will draw about 7 amps on 120V)
For your money i'd be recomending the halogen, as it's available and well under your budget.

As for the AN/VSS-3,
take a look at this thread.
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=118432