• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired (Sold ) Custom cmacclel made 1150/550 lumen Hotwire bulb mod sub 2D

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
1150/550 lumen Hotwire mod sub 2D 1 high/ 1 low bulb 6AA to 2Dbattery carrier/ Pewter in color. $110 shipped PP non credit card only. First I'll take it gets it. To small for my use I prefer a 2D/3D size.

Last edited:

beefy6969

Newly Enlightened
Re: Custom cmacclel made 1150/550 lumen Hotwire bulb mod sub 2D

Aftermarket reflector?
Glass lens?
Bored host?
Finned head?

vortechs

Enlightened

If I read the first post correctly, it doesn't come with the 6AA to 2D battery holder. Is that correct?

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast

vortechs said:
If I read the first post correctly, it doesn't come with the 6AA to 2D battery holder. Is that correct?

Decided to include the battery holder as well.

Last edited:

vortechs

Enlightened

depusm12 said:
Sold pending funds to vortechs.

Please send me your PayPal address and I'll send you a cash PayPal.

frisco

Enlightened

Darn.... I went to the bathroom before I posted..... that will never happen again!!!!

Back-up to vortechs

frisco

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: (Sold pending funds) Custom cmacclel made 1150/550 lumen Hotwire bulb mod sub 2D

PM sent with PP info, vortechs

Congrats vortechs its a great light. Great wow factor.

Last edited:

vortechs

Enlightened
Re: (Sold pending funds) Custom cmacclel made 1150/550 lumen Hotwire bulb mod sub 2D

:paypal:

Thanks James.

This will be my first ROP. I'm looking forward to the wow factor with the Hi bulb and a bit more practical runtime with the Low bulb.

For really long runtime, maybe I could put a couple of D cells in there and drop in a SMJLED PR bulb. :)

vortechs

Enlightened

beefy6969 said:
Aftermarket reflector?
Glass lens?
Bored host?
Finned head?

I had the same questions about what was in it when I first read this thread. I eventually found the answers in cmaccelel's original sales thread but I had to go through a couple of links to get there.

For my own reference, I figured I would include a link to the original sales thread (here) and a copy of the specifications and some of the most useful notes from the original thread:

Specs:

-Approximately 1150 Lumens using ROP High output lamp (1150 Lumens before optical loss)
-Approximately 550 Lumens using ROP Low output lamp (550 Lumens before optical loss)
-Custom 6AA to D holder
-UCL Lens
-Custom PR Base lamp holder
-Camless Medium Stripple Reflector (Zero artifacts in beam Surefire Style)
-10amp Rated Tailswitch
-Sub 2D size

Notes:

-Sorry.....it will not work with "D" size cells as the battery holder is smaller than the standard 2d. [vortechs comments: actually, the body will fit 2 D-cells, although it does compress the tailcap spring quite a bit; it works great with a SMJLED PR bulb]
-With the low lamp you should get around 1:15 runtime with 2500Mah Nimh cells.
-People have used 1.5V Lithium AAs with no issues.

*Why use that ROP lamp instead of a WA bi-pin?
-ROP Lamps are easier to obtain.
-There's a High / Low Lamp in each package for under $10.
-No fussing with the Bi-Pin adjusting hassle.
-Brightest lamp found for 7.2v application.
-Comparable Bi-Pin Lamp WA1111 is the same price for 2 of the ROP lamps
and around 200 lumens dimmer.

Last edited:

vortechs

Enlightened
Hi depusm12,

I picked up the light from the local post office outlet today (it arrived there yesterday morning, but I didn't have time to get it yesterday). It was very well packaged, nice job. Thanks!

I'm currently charging my NiMH AA cells... :whistle:

In the meantime, I thought I'd see if it works with 2 alkaline D-cells and a SMJLED PR bulb. It works fine. A pair of D-cells fit in the sub-2D body (since there no side switch there is enough room for them) although they do compress the tailcap spring quite a bit, and the SMJLED PR bulb drops in easily. The reflector works great with the SMJLED bulb. Wow, the SMJLED bulb really is pretty nice, now I understand why some people have been raving about them. While not as bright as the ROP is going to be, it is good to have a long running backup option for the light. Hummm, I wonder if this is the most expensive host anyone has used with a SMJLED PR bulb, most people seem to be finding good cheap hosts for them.

According to Lambda, the SMJLED bulb will run for over a week continuous on 2 D-cells, "...measured the output of a 2D Mag that has been running non stop for a week (168 hours) and it measures at 560 Lux at one meter. Still quite useable, but definetly not as bright as a week ago." (quote copied from here)

Last edited:

vortechs

Enlightened
I charged some NiMH AA cells enough to try the sub-2D ROP (my first ROP).

I tried the low bulb first - it reminded me of the Wolf Eyes M90-13V. I'll have to compare them side by side sometime.

I let it cool and changed to the hi bulb. I noticed that changing the bulb is something of a hassle.

First impression is WOW this thing is bright. :huh:

It doesn't have the throw of a HID 24W AE Powerlight, but it does a better job of lighting up my whole back yard at once.

Nice light. Thanks depusm12.