I can't believe I bought an $80 flashlight!

Billmanweh

Newly Enlightened
I can\'t believe I bought an $80 flashlight!

Up until last week, I had owned nothing but the $5 cheapo plastic flashlights that you pick up at Walgreen's, etc. I had tried out a Maglite, and was pretty impressed. But I thought Maglites were pretty much the pinnacle of flashlight achievement. Little did I know...

Last week the subject of flashlights came up over at GlockTalk.com and I posted something along the lines of the above paragraph and someone nudged me over here. So I read a little and assumed that anyone "addicted" to *flashlights* must have a screw loose. I mean, it's a FLASHLIGHT. You unscrew the head, drop a couple of batteries in and off you go. Right?

Well, I was going to the gun show today anyhow so I could join the NRA in person and look at guns. While I was there I noticed a table with a guy selling Surefires along with knives, etc. I kinda glanced over them, but after looking at the prices I went about my business. Anyhow, as I was leaving I walked by again and he recognized me and offered to show me a Surefire.
shocked.gif

It took a few minutes for me to rationalize buying a $50+ flashlight. I wished that I had done more homework so I would have known what I wanted. But I checked out everything and decided on a Black E2 for $55. Then I looked for a few more minutes and decided that I also needed a Black Z3 for $80. Now I'm sitting at my computer checking out the Surefire website to see which one I need next.

What happened to me??

Do they sprinkle these things with fairy dust??

rolleyes.gif

-Bill

Darell

Flashaholic
Re: I can\'t believe I bought an $80 flashlight!

Welcome to the light side, my friend.

The good news is that at least you weren't taken on the prices at the show.

bigcozy

Enlightened

I used to think the same, we all probably did, now I don't blink an eye at some stuff I would have thought obscene not too long ago.

$900 for a Wilson Custom Colt Defender
$400 for a Microtech Ultratech knife
$130 for Gargoyles sunglasses
$300 for a North Face sleeping bag

you get the idea........I am not even going to mention rifles or what I drive. The internet is a horrible thing, I used to think my Ruger P89, my maglight and my zytel spyderco knife were state of the art. I had never heard of surefire before. Now I am obsessed with getting the newest best stuff before my friends to. It's a disease.

Yeah, I am not married anymore before you ask.

GeorgeB

Newly Enlightened

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bigcozy:
I used to think the same, we all probably did, now I don't blink an eye at some stuff I would have thought obscene not too long ago.

$900 for a Wilson Custom Colt Defender
$400 for a Microtech Ultratech knife
$130 for Gargoyles sunglasses
$300 for a North Face sleeping bag

you get the idea........I am not even going to mention rifles or what I drive. The internet is a horrible thing, I used to think my Ruger P89, my maglight and my zytel spyderco knife were state of the art. I had never heard of surefire before. Now I am obsessed with getting the newest best stuff before my friends to. It's a disease.

Yeah, I am not married anymore before you ask.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just heard of surefire today, I think I,m in trouble
grin.gif

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Billmanweh:
But I checked out everything and decided on a Black E2 for $55. Then I looked for a few more minutes and decided that I also needed a Black Z3 for $80. Now I'm sitting at my computer checking out the Surefire website to see which one I need next.
What happened to me??
rolleyes.gif

-Bill
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Bill,
As long as you can afford what you spend your money on, you don't have a problem. If your wife (assumeimg you are married) desides that you spend to much money on flashlights, she has a problem. It's up to you to decide where the problem is. Whatever you decide, there's a lot said for being a bachelor.
grin.gif
wink.gif
grin.gif
TX (if you're not married...problem solved.) If you think you simply have an addiction to flashlights, then "no problem again". You're in the right place.
rolleyes.gif
TX

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Billmanweh:
... I noticed ... a guy selling Surefires ... after looking at the prices I went about my business.
It took a few minutes for me to rationalize buying a $50+ flashlight. I wished that I had done more homework so I would have known what I wanted...
Now I'm sitting at my computer checking out the Surefire website to see which one I need next.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ain't it the truth.
I promised myself that I would never become a torch *collector*. I thought I'd just get a few "for study and comparison".
After my first SureFire, I knew I would feel lost without more.
Enjoy the choosing decisions, then, gulp, pay the price, and - Enjoy !

I think the choices you made are pretty good too. Remember you have the choice of the conversion kits for the Z2, even if you do lose the convenience of the combatgrip.

lightlover
smile.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

The best thing is when you mix Surefires with Glocks
blush.gif
. I frequent Glock Talk too. It gets worse for some. Like when you start taking $20 Mag lights and converting them to LED flashlights
tongue.gif

Eric

brightnorm

Flashaholic

What happened to me??

Do they sprinkle these things with fairy dust??
-Bill
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Bill,

Welcome to our group of cheerful obsessives. I predict that you will soon get to the point where you won't be able to believe that you once couldn't believe you bought an $80.00 flashlight.

Best regards,
Brightnorm

supertrucker

Newly Enlightened

Billmanweh, Yes they do sprinkle the lights with fairy dust, and no there is no antidote.
Sorry...your stuck!

Billmanweh

Newly Enlightened

One of the benefits of being single, MORE TOYS!

grin.gif

-Bill

Just curious, is there a big crossover between gun and flashlight enthusiasts?

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast

One of the benefits of being single, MORE TOYS!
grin.gif

-Bill
Just curious, is there a big crossover between gun and flashlight enthusiasts?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Bill,
No, there's not a cross over, just a blending. There are a lot of "flashaholics" that have no interest guns. Then there are the gun supporters (help me with the word here), of which I am one. It's a small klick, but a very important one to us. You can probably find a wider base on the SF BB. I, like you, have the advanatge of having no one to answer to. Be careful. This can be a very dangerous sistuation.
rolleyes.gif
shocked.gif
rolleyes.gif
TX

Flashlightboy

Enlightened

Bill,

There are no 12 step programs and it doesn't help when you order from SF directly.

You browse the web and decide what you want, what you'd like to have and what you'd buy if no one in the world found out because you'd probably be committed.

You call SF and a very nice lady takes your order and then asks the killer question, "Is there anything else you'd like today?" BAM!! It's all over because the synapses are firing like you've had a dozen venti sized Starbucks. You try and hold back. This is, after all, a supposedly civilized society but your efforts at noun-verb agreement fail badly just like Rosie O showing restraint near doughnuts.

I got it bad. I ordered an E2e last week. Just the light, I say to myself and then comes "The Question." I was ordering stuff that didn't exist. And the lady is taking it all down. SC3, LOLA, zippered case. I'm not making this stuff up because you can call Sandy and ask her. She went along with it all. She is an enabler. She is evil.

"The Question" sticks in my mind. Here is someone saying what I want can be had and this isn't costing me $2.99/minute. I call back and order a box of batteries. And then she tells me that none of the other stuff is available. See what I mean about being evil?

The light came the next day and the speed of SF and the UPS man are downright dangerous. Just think, if I have another moment I can have any SF light in a day. Order by 10 AM, have it the next day. Scary.

Welcome to the club but watch out for Sandy. She'll get to you every time.

wink.gif

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lightspeed:
The best thing is when you mix Surefires with Glocks
blush.gif
. I frequent Glock Talk too. It gets worse for some. Like when you start taking $20 Mag lights and converting them to LED flashlights
tongue.gif

Eric
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wait until you start getting into real guns. HK's, instead of those toys.
grin.gif
tongue.gif
Unfortunately I don't have the money to get into any of it too deeply
frown.gif
Guns, cars, knive, flashlights, and maybe watches at some point.

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast

Jeff,
LOL, but you gotta send the link for that post to Sandy - what if she hears about it from someone else, maybe jumbled up,
shocked.gif

lightlover
smile.gif

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast

Billmanweh. Do a search on
"What do you carry" ect. started by our fine member kotgatana #581. You will see that many CPF'ers are a well armed group.
grin.gif
wink.gif

Flashlightboy

Enlightened

Jahn,

I'd send the link to her but I don't know if she has e-mail.

Billmanweh

Newly Enlightened

It's funny, everyone I've shown my E2 to is just blown away. My mom and girlfriend have both asked me to get them one, and several other people have asked me about it and once I show it to them they want to know where they can get one.

For myself, I just need to decide which Surefire would make a good "car flashlight"

Decisions, decisions...

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's funny, everyone I've shown my E2 to is just blown away. My mom and girlfriend have both asked me to get them one, and several other people have asked me about it and once I show it to them they want to know where they can get one.

For myself, I just need to decide which Surefire would make a good "car flashlight"

Decisions, decisions...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Billmanweh....

Two "must have" Surefire`s that you can also use for your car/truck/SUV: The M6 and the M3. Two truly great flashlights.

Just do it and get it over with... buy them now while there are still some pre-2/1/02 prices available.

Welcome aboard... and may God have mercy on your soul.

Darell

Flashaholic

[QB]
[QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really think the G2 is the best car light. It's the cheapest they sell, and you don't care if it rattles around in the glove box all day. I suggest this without having actually purchased a G2, but I still think it is the best plan.