yet another newbie seeking advice

trumpetmarksman

Newly Enlightened
Hello all! I've been frequenting this forum for some time now, and I figured it was time for me to start posting. I'm in need of advice. I've taken to carrying two flashlights on me at night - a Proton X-Light Micro and a Surefire G2. The G2 was a revelation; I can't imagine going back to a minimag! The X-Light is good for general low-level illumination. I carry the G2 for more light, specifically as a possible self-defense tool. I realize that flashing someone's eyes is only liable to make them mad, but it could startle them enough for me to run away.

Anyway, the G2 is great until the batteries start giving out. I'd like a light of similar brightness and size but longer runtime. How would the 3 watt BOG module do? My price range is about $75.

carrot

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF!

I would try the Inova T3, which is around the same brightness for two and a half hours... or the T2 which is less bright but lasts twice as long on two 123 batteries. They should be around $50-60 online. http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/inova_t.htm

Pairs of "used" batteries from my incandescent lights like the Surefire G2 and A2 go into my Inova X5 which sucks all the juice out of "used" batteries and still puts out a decent and usable amount of light. For $35 at Target or online, it is a good value, especially considering you get more use out of 'dead' batteries. http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/inova_x5t.htm

trumpetmarksman

Newly Enlightened
According to flashlightreviews, the T3 has an overall output rating of 2800, while the G2 has an output of 5200. Is this inaccurate? Also, I just saw the Nuwai "3 Watt Tactical" ALX-332L, which has a higher output rating than the T3, for about half the price.

The Inova seems like a good light, I'm just wondering if the cost and drop in brightness is worth the increased run time. Good idea about the X-5 and used batteris, though! I'll definitely consider that one.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Greetings and Welcome to CPF!

Try checking out the Brinkmanns and Dorcys at Target and Wal*Mart.

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

trumpetmarksman

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the warm welcome! Sorry about the poor editing on the last post. There is indeed an "e" in "batteries."

What about the Pentagonlight L2? How does the brightness compare to, say, a G2?

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
I have not bought the T3 yet, but I have a Surefire E1L which has a similar beam characteristic and lower output than the T3 -- and the E1L performs nearly as well as my G2 and A2 in terms of sighting things at a distance. I would not replace the G2 with the T3 outright, but I'm betting for most of your uses the T3 would fit well.

Another consideration is if you don't always need all the light the G2 puts out is the Surefire A2, which is my favorite light and has two stages of light output -- low for general use and high for spotting things further away. I use the A2 quite a lot, but only have to replace the batteries about once a month because I use the incandescent so little. Again, it depends on your usage patterns.

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
Carrot,
Love the sig. Both lines. lol
Sorry for the hijack.

Back on topic,
Is the problem with dimming/low batteries that you can't find what to do with them? Or that the batteries will produce low output when you need it?

You could always go rechargeable. If the light is regulated and takes 2 CR123's you can always just get some 17650's and stick a single one into the light. The regulation will match the output and you will get almost the same amount of output. Since there's no memory loss you can keep them topped off and even carry a single spare with you.

trumpetmarksman

Newly Enlightened
Using rechargeables would be great. Are there any that would work in a G2?
Carrot, I would love to get an Aviator. I've read a lot about it and it sounds perfect for my needs. I may have to start saving up for one.

trumpetmarksman

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the advice! I'm leaning towards going with the G&P bulb with rechargables, and saving up for an Aviator. I love everything about that light except the price!

CLHC

Flashaholic
Well, if and when you decide to acquire the SureFire A2 Aviator, try OpticsHQ.Com