True White Luxeon SE Produces 5150 Lux !

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received a few 1W side emitters. These are the first true white Luxeon I've ever seen. No tint at all, can't see any blue/yellow/green/red tint, just pure white.

I built one into a new Blue Mag 2D to see how it performs with the reflector. Wow! Over 5000 Lux on a quickie measurement.
shocked.gif

selux3.jpg

The Mag reflector gives a lot of adjustment to the beam before seeing the "black hole" just at the end of the threads.

This particular Luxeon is direct driven at 1 amp from 3C cells in the 2D Mag.

selux1.jpg

This is really very bright for a 1W Luxeon, can't wait to see how the 5W perform!
grin.gif

Later after the epoxy has set more I'll take it outside for some real test, and get some better measurments of the brightness. But this thing has already taken first place as the brightest white LED flashlight I've ever made.
icon14.gif

selux4.jpg

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Amazing Kevin!!! Wooo Hoo! A new bench mark for Luxeon color!! Beautiful mod BTW.

- Don

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never ever seen Luxeons like these before. No different color tint anywhere, just a pure white light from the center to the edge.

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by BentHeadTX:
Will you be selling that mod? Looks like a good light with a piercing collimated beam. You think it would be good for cycling in the dark?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I won't be parting with this one unless the next one is brighter!
cool.gif

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
So are you saying that the side emitters are a definite go??? We heard initial reports that were less than encouraging.

If so, where'd you get these?!?!?!?

(can you tell I'm excited? My TurtleLight needs (wants
tongue.gif
) something special - and this might convince me to get a C or D-cell maglight (dammit! spending more money
tongue.gif
)

-Darin

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Now this is scary bright. The last remaining area of incandescent dominance is being burned away...and by a ONE watt.

Nice light!

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by lambda:
Never ever seen Luxeons like these before. No different color tint anywhere, just a pure white light from the center to the edge.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Looks like the side emitter is much more effective when used with a reflector-rather than any other optics?

p.s.-that beam looks really nasty.
shocked.gif

(in a good way)!
yellowlaugh.gif

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by lambda:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by BentHeadTX:
Will you be selling that mod? Looks like a good light with a piercing collimated beam. You think it would be good for cycling in the dark?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I won't be parting with this one unless the next one is brighter!
cool.gif
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I have to confirm what Lambda is saying here. I have one, and put it in a Ozark trail. Very very white, and very bright. Works well with this reflector, and I also tried a Mag reflector, and it works very well too. I gotta get some more side emitters.

Thanks Kevin for sending me one.

Wayne J.
www.elektrolumens.com

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Great work, What do you use to get the LS centered in the reflector?

Doug Meister

Newly Enlightened
Lambda, I definately want one. Can this be modded into a 3C cell Mag - by te likes of me? IOW, can this be made into a drop in module?

If not can you build one for me? My first choice is in a 3C cell - but I'll take it anyway I can get it.

5w = YIKES - that will be Frighteningly bright
<font color=blue>--Ðøug
rolleyes.gif
</font>

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably the way the side emitter optics causes the light to be emitted. The fringe light (usual source of greenish tint) may be scattered and mixed evenly with the blue-ish white light that was the center spot, but is now being emitted at the sides (and same place as the ugly green light).

That, or the side emitters (since they're so new) are using the same phosphor coating technique as on the 5W, giving a more even coating and better color.

Just a couple of theories...

-Darin

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Questions, questions. Let me see if I can answer them:

Q: Great work, What do you use to get the LS centered in the reflector?
A: Just my failing eyesight on this one. Centering the Luxeon is absolutely critical for proper beam shape. I did spin the heatsink slowly to check centering and adjusted from there before the thermal epoxy set up.

Q: Lambda, I definately want one. Can this be modded into a 3C cell Mag - by te likes of me? IOW, can this be made into a drop in module?
A: This could be built into just about any 3 cell flashlight, I prefer the 3Cin2D mod because it's not as long as a 3C Mag. Drop in module - looking at that as a possible mod kit.

Q: Well, I wanna know how the heck they can make the side emitters so darn white and not the others! Hmmm. Very exciting news indeed!
A: Don't get too excited, nothing says all white side emitters are like this. In fact they are not. They will vary in tint just like high domes do. While these do use the new HD chip, these were just the luck of the draw as to the color purity.

Q:What happends when you use a collimator instead of a reflector? Is it still white? Is it still bright?
A: Not much; the side emitter does not work well at all with the Luxeon optics.

These newer Luxeons do not have differernt colored coronas from the center spot. The LED wafer is evenly coated with phosphor then cut up into seperate LED chips. So all light emitted is the same color. How well that coating is applied to the wafer determines the tint of all the Luxeons cut from it.

I have a side emitter sample here that has a slight pasty green tint to it. So just ordering side emitters does not mean you will get perfectly white Luxeons. It's still a roll of the dice each time. I also have seen blue and green tints to high dome Luxeons. The Luxeons are not perfect yet, but certainly getting better.

Outside, this flashlight is quite remarkable. It certainly makes you forget your holding an LED flashlight. It really reaches out there and touches anything quite well at 100 meters and even more. Lights up reflective street signs a quarter mile away.

Drop in mod for this is something I've been working on. I think I have found a possible solution for an adjustable heatsink that could make this work. Let's just say that right now it works on paper, but I need to build and test a few to make sure things stay centered properly and heat is still poperly sinked.

Will I be building these for sale? Not likely in the near future. My fingers need to heal from the last batch of mods I just made, and I simply need some time to kick back also. Also, I've got leaves to rake, oil to change in vehicles, etc. etc. just like everyone else.

But one thing is for sure, the side emitters do work well with reflectors!

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Hay Sean, I bet the answers are yes and yes...but you will lose the focusing ability to create that magnificent canyon-crossing beam. Kevin was kind enough to send me one too, and I should have my own version of this Frighteningly bright focusing side emitter done this weekend...

Thanks, Lambda!

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
After about 15 min run time on the batteries I still measure 4800 to 5050 Lux. New batteries will get readings as high as 5250 Lux. Will be interesting to compare the next one I build with DC/DC to this one. But in all fairness, differences between Luxeons can account for more variation than anything else.