tactical LED

trumpetmarksman

Newly Enlightened
I'm trying to find a good LED flashlight for tactical use with a price threshold of $75. I've been looking at the Pentagonlight L2, the BOG 3W module to drop in my Surefire G2, and the Inova T3. How do these lights compare to the G2 and to each other?

I just saw the Microfire FL-6 LED at pacifictacticalsolutions. Looks really good! Does anyone have any experience with it?

Last edited:

idleprocess

Flashaholic
By most accounts, using the BOG module in the G2 isn't a good idea for any stretch of time. The polymer body of the G2 traps the heat, and heat is thep rimary killer for solid-state electronics.

spoonrobot

Enlightened
Tactical how?

Is it going to be weapon mounted or handheld?

Pentagonlight L2 is a good handheld or medium range (<50yds) weapon-mounted light. It outputs slightly more than a third less than the G2 but throws about the same.

The Inova T3 is a good handheld light but makes a poor weapon-mounted light because of the tighter beam created by the TIROS optics.

The BOG 3W drop-in is old news. The new Wolf-Eyes 6V 3W drop-in assembly is much much better but suffers in plastic body lights since it has thermal regulation that drops the output when the temperature gets to high.

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
try Pelican M6 (2330 / 2390). d switches r v silent, beam has a wide spillbeam w/ bright centre spot.

Illum

Flashaholic
sORe-EyEz said:
try Pelican M6 (2330 / 2390). d switches r v silent, beam has a wide spillbeam w/ bright centre spot.

did you read the posts on the Roar of the Pelican and the lithium accidents?

trumpetmarksman

Newly Enlightened
It'll be a handheld light. I have about another year and a half before I can get a carry permit, so this would be more of a "flash the baddies and hope they're startled enough so I can run away" type of light. Where's a good placed for used Surefires?

Blazer

Enlightened
Illum_the_nation said:

While it also made me think twice, after careful reflection, I've had a Pelican M6 LED on my duty belt for 3 years (as my backup) with the same batteries, and I also have a PM6 3W LED. I did stop using them for a while when the thread came out but in the end I don't think the probability of an incident is high enough to rule the PM6 LED out as a good all round tactical flashlight (one for general duty LE use). I would at least consider it in my quest for a flashlight like the original poster.

Hermanator

Newly Enlightened
spoonrobot said:
Tactical how?

Is it going to be weapon mounted or handheld?

Pentagonlight L2 is a good handheld or medium range (<50yds) weapon-mounted light. It outputs slightly more than a third less than the G2 but throws about the same.

The Inova T3 is a good handheld light but makes a poor weapon-mounted light because of the tighter beam created by the TIROS optics.

The BOG 3W drop-in is old news. The new Wolf-Eyes 6V 3W drop-in assembly is much much better but suffers in plastic body lights since it has thermal regulation that drops the output when the temperature gets to high.

Spoonrobot: How does the Inova T3 compare in brightness to the Pentagonlight L2 and Inova T3? Why is the TIROS optic a poor choice for a weapon mount light system? Just trying to learn as much as I can before I make my purchase.

I've been looking for a fairly bright emergency light, partially to use if I hear something on my property or if I plan to return from a hike after darkness falls. I would like something quality, reliable (can get a replacement part or two if needed) and in a way cool. This will be strictly handheld. Even considered the Fenix L2T and Huntlight FT01. It appears the manufacturers advertised lux ratings cannot be used for a quantitative comparison and even measurements from independents will be based on equipment, technique, etc.

If something else comes to mind, let me know. Thanks.

carrot

Flashaholic
TIROS is sometimes considered bad for a tactical light even though the Inova T3 is part of Inova's Tactical line of lights... partially because the beam has a few rings on the outside (beautiful round spot and a few rings around it, like Saturn) which Surefire informs customers can make an itchy trigger finger. Also most people like more traditional beams with a hotspot and a soft flood for "tactical" use for who knows what reason. I like TIR optics a lot.

The T3 is also designed to be especially good for outdoor use. Don't know how it compares to the Pentagonlight, but the T3 is brighter than the E2L by a fair margin.

Illum

Flashaholic
carrot said:
TIROS is sometimes considered bad for a tactical light even though the Inova T3 is part of Inova's Tactical line of lights... partially because the beam has a few rings on the outside (beautiful round spot and a few rings around it, like Saturn) which Surefire informs customers can make an itchy trigger finger. Also most people like more traditional beams with a hotspot and a soft flood for "tactical" use for who knows what reason. I like TIR optics a lot.

The T3 is also designed to be especially good for outdoor use. Don't know how it compares to the Pentagonlight, but the T3 is brighter than the E2L by a fair margin.

lol....this trigger finger thing...

the TIROS beam is so beautiful, I actually reserve using it unless Im with a crowd..., mostly its between the G2 and the SL PP that I uses thats probably Low tactical

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
You don't mention you need a tactical/momentary function which opens up your options.

I'm not sure about the above statement that the Pentagon L2 is only a third the brightness of a G2. According to FLR, the G2 makes ~74lms while individual reviews of the Pent L2 indicates it makes about 50-60lms. Fairly close. The Inova T3 makes ~40lms, but most of that is concentrated in the spot.

Personally, for weapon sighting, I prefer spill light. If fairly up close and I spot on the target's face, I may not be able to see the rest of his body to know if he has another weapon, or see around him to check if there are others around. I overall prefer to see more surrounding area around the spot/target.

I don't own a Pentagon L2 or a Pelican M6 2390, but from reviews, I think both would be a good choice for you and they are similarly priced. The Pelican 2390 is a bit more and is typically over your $75 price limit while the Pentagon L2 is right there.
I have the Huntlight FT01 and will say it is very bright and has good throw. By comparison with my other lights that have been tested by FLR, I estimate the output of my FT01 to be ~60lms.
I also have a Nextorch Z1, a single cell LED light. It is quite bright and the manufacturing quality is very good. Their 2x 123A LED lights are rated at 60lms, and since my Z1 is rated at 35lms and from my estimates, it outputs at least 35lms (I think it actually makes more...closer to 40lms), I think the 60lms rating of the Nextorch 2x 123A lights is pretty accurate. Another option to look into.

The Huntlight FT01 is the lowest priced tho.

spoonrobot

Enlightened
I'm not sure about the above statement that the Pentagon L2 is only a third the brightness of a G2. According to FLR, the G2 makes ~74lms while individual reviews of the Pent L2 indicates it makes about 50-60lms. Fairly close. The Inova T3 makes ~40lms, but most of that is concentrated in the spot.

Please re-read my post, that is not what I said.

trumpetmarksman

Newly Enlightened
Tactical/momentary option is preferred. The Huntlight looks pretty good, jsr! How does its size compare to a G2 or minimag, that is, would you consider it pocketable?

Last edited:

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
Illum_the_nation said:

i did read tt thread, but i hav my M6 2330 as EDC for over 2 yrs w/ regular useage (short duration) & not encountered any problem - bulb, batts, click switch, etc. add tis to d fact tt it continues 2 work till tis day aft several falls off tables (abt 3ft) in d past.

if pelican can roar, so can others. :touche:

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
spoonrobot - sorry, I misread...I read you say it outputed slightly less than a third of the G2, but you meant output slightly more than 2/3 the G2. Sorry, but the way it was said was a bit confusing for me.

trumpetmarksman - For my casual, normal, weekend pants, I find the Huntlight pocketable. It's shorter than a Minimag, slightly longer (maybe 1/4 inch) than a G2 and similar thickness to a G2. It's comfortable in my hand as my hand fits perfectly in between the head and the raised portion just in front of the tailcap. Clicky is easy to push and it gives audible and tactile feedback. However, it is a reverse clicky, so you won't have momentary capability and you can't flash/morse code unless you first turn the light on then flash it off with a slight push. Amongst currently available 2x 123A lights, I think the Huntlight is the best value. The Nextorch Z3 offers momentary capability, but it's harder to get and costs a bit more. If you want momentary and don't mind not having HA3, the Pentagon L2 black version (TypeII anodizing) is about $65 + sh. Tho, if you're going to spend $65, might as well throw in another $10 for the TypeIII Pent L2. I do like momentary myself (and appreciate it when I use my Vital Stream with VG FB1 body or my SL TL-series lights), but I can live without it, especially for $33 for a great light.

sias

Newly Enlightened
Check out the Model LS 162 3 Watt LED Blitzer Strobing - Self defense light at www.lightsaver.co.za its also sold by Brigade Quartermaster and Lou Chiodo from Gunfighters in the USA

Sias

Last edited:

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting light, never heard of it before. Gladius-style strobing on press-and-hold, latch on and off with a quick press. Looking forward to some reviews.