New member, questions about surefire...

evilninja

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone,
I recently bought a surefire E2D and some streamlight batonlites, they are my first proper flashlights, they are certainly alot better than the old AA maglight I used to carry. Reading through all these threads on exploding 123As I have to worry though as I think the ones in my E2D (surefire brand) are slightly damaged.
As both of the torches I bought are designed to be used for self defence, one of the first things I did with them was test them out on a big cardboard box, now I smacked the box fairly hard, hard enough to punch holes through it with the E2D (it really is a nasty peice of work) and I'd imagine that in the process the batteries were bashed around inside. The one on the bulb end has a small dent right on the top (of the + end) where it's hit the bulb assembly, right in the middle on the bit that sticks out. [The batonlite showed no damage whatsoever to the torch or batteries]
The torch itself still works fine, a little paint chipped off but no damage to the internals, it doesn't flicker even if I shake it as hard as I can, should I discard the barreries just to be on the safe side?
**Random questions**
It says on the surefire website the bulbs lifespan is affected by how it's used (prolonged used vs repeated flashes) but it doesn't say which is better for the bulb, does flashing it briefly decrease it's lifespan?
Does anyone know where I can get a Z-61 tailcap for it in the UK (i.e. a site that sells them that will ship to the UK)? The bezeled one that came with it hurts my thumb...

Thanks for taking the time to read this, I hope the questions aren't too dumb :)

Topper

Flashaholic*
Hi and welcome, as for a tail cap check www.lighthound.com if you don't see one then contact John (at lighthound) about it he may can help you. I will refrain on the bent cell issue as I would not want to give bad advice..I know what I would do but I might live closer to the edge than yourself.
Topper :)

evilninja

Newly Enlightened
That was quick, thanks for the replies, I've been using it for about 3 days with the bent cell (the back one is fine, only the top one is bent) and it hasn't blown my hand off yet, it would be a shame to bin them as I haven't got any more batteries for it and they are pretty much full of charge.
I see heinnie haynes (the welsh company I usually buy knives from) stocks the green tail cap, I'll phone them and ask about a black one, failing that it looks like lighthound is the way to go...

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the whole "exploding CR123s'" thing is getting way out of proportion. But you SHOULD throw the damaged cell out.

carrot

Flashaholic
Flashing the light as opposed to running it for lengths at a time will shorten the life of the filament. If a lamp is going to fail it is more likely to do so at the moment it is turned on than any other time, or so I'm told. Surefire's lamp assemblies should last 25+ hours.

dyyys1

Enlightened
carrot said:
Flashing the light as opposed to running it for lengths at a time will shorten the life of the filament. If a lamp is going to fail it is more likely to do so at the moment it is turned on than any other time, or so I'm told. Surefire's lamp assemblies should last 25+ hours.

Just an FYI, the SF A2 shouldn't have this problem as its circuitry slows down the rush of power into the bulb by a few milliseconds. This gradual turn-on greatly reduces the risk of instaflash. Yet another reason to love the A2. :twothumbs

carrot

Flashaholic
dyyys1 said:
Just an FYI, the SF A2 shouldn't have this problem as its circuitry slows down the rush of power into the bulb by a few milliseconds. This gradual turn-on greatly reduces the risk of instaflash. Yet another reason to love the A2. :twothumbs
That's right. It's called soft-start by most people here. I love my A2. :)