Sad day for Lumens....

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I lived every flashaholic's worst nightmare tonight (other than losing a torch)

I'm known as the flashlight guy to most. The people I was hanging out with tonight always joke " are you packing?" referring to my flashlight. All fun…they always love how bright they are etc… tonight was different…

One kid showed up with a Chinese 5mm led job. Probably 20 LEDs at the most. The freaking thing was bright. So of course the group says "compare it to yours". I pulled out the Q-3 I EDC and….BLAH BLAH BLAH…he's BLEW IT AWAY!!!! Such a blow to the ego LOL

Now I think I need a U60 XR GT or even the U85 (if it ever comes out) just to regain respect. :)

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, you got sandbagged...

Carrying something only to win contests (as perhaps this kid was?) is a different thing than carrying something practical and useful. If you choose to carry something just for contests, I'm sure you can think of something for that. I doubt that that multi-led light can outshine a $12 Dorcy Spyder (although the 41 LED AdvancedMart light will just about match it for 10 minutes)

Or if it does, then maybe we all ought to be looking at that "Chinese 5mm job"...

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
If that was the case... I'd strap the M4 to my leg like Robocop and cruise the city for evil doers!! I challenge you to a duel!!! hahahaha LOL

In a nut shell...I think I just need to jazz up the Q-3...love the run time and the almost flood it produces.

Other than the RCR123a (which I hear will almost double the brightness but shorten the life of it), does anyone have first time mod advice?

:O)

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Replace the Q-III star with a U-bin and drive it with an R123. He wont beat you with his light unless it's much larger. If his light is larger, break out a Mag85 or USL. :)

Jeff

InfidelCastro

Banned
Trashman said:
The rechargeable will definitely put you on top. Those 20-ish LED lights are pretty bright!

Usually only for a very short time though, then they drop off quickly.

And they have no throw. Even for an LED light..

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Manzerick said:
If that was the case... I'd strap the M4 to my leg like Robocop and cruise the city for evil doers!! I challenge you to a duel!!! hahahaha LOL

In a nut shell...I think I just need to jazz up the Q-3...love the run time and the almost flood it produces.

Other than the RCR123a (which I hear will almost double the brightness but shorten the life of it), does anyone have first time mod advice?

:O)

Swap out the star with a UxxJ (replace xx with the tint bin of your choice)

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's what I was thinking. It was roughly the same size but thicker. I had him open it up and it has 3 AAA"s in a battery carrier. It was new as of today I believe. It was fairly light in the house and I was wondering if his ugly blue tint(5 mm's) just made his show up better...anyway, I still lost LOL

I just emailed a kind soul on here who offers free moding service to see if he could help an unenlightened moder

Randy Shackleford

Enlightened
Should have compared throw of 20 LED to the QIII. A reflectored luxeon will usually out throw a non-reflectored light.

Upgrades to the qIII:
Replace the poly window with a 22mm mineral crystal glass, beef up the heatsink and put a T or a U-bin on RCR123. That will be bright.

Then, change the switch to a two-way . Just to show people you don't need all that . :grin2:

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would love to but....i'm not in the know :(

Randy Shackleford said:
Should have compared throw of 20 LED to the QIII. A reflectored luxeon will usually out throw a non-reflectored light.

Upgrades to the qIII:
Replace the poly window with a 22mm mineral crystal glass, beef up the heatsink and put a T or a U-bin on RCR123. That will be bright.

Then, change the switch to a two-way . Just to show people you don't need all that . :grin2:

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are gonna spend all that dough to beef up a QIII spend a little more and get s real light, like a L4 that would kick the living buzz of any "showerhead" LED lights night and day. There are constantly good deals on L4 on the BST.

the price break down if you want to pimp your Q3:

light: 30+4 dollar shipping minimum.

new Lux III Star: 20

glass: figure 3-4 dollars.

R123: you want a good one, so 4 bucks plus 10 for a charger.

heatsink: 10 dollars if you can find one.

two stage tail cap: say another 15 bucks.

what is that? 34+20+3+14+10+15=96 dollar for a pimped out Q3.

There was a L4 in good shappe sold for 110 bucks. What you get is a superior regulation circuit, real heat-sinking, HA3, real non-reverse clickie, usable clip, and water-proofness.

Dn't get me wrong, the QIIIs are fun to mod. I did the eact same thing I described(UX1J, Viren's sink, R123, mineral glass lens) and the output is good but the LED was fried very quickly. But put it next to a Surefire L4 the L4 blows it out the water. I would say at least twice the output. And the QIII circuit plain sucks for the output you get.

keep your eyes open for a L4/KL4 and you won't look back.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
great advice! I didn't even think of the math and logistics behind just getting an L4..

Funny thing is..i've been seriously looking at L4's lately anyway

Thank you sir!

lightningbug

Newly Enlightened
ya know......

the LEDbeam is only about $20, and will impress the Crap out of anybody.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why are you worrying? There will always be somebody out there pack'n more heat. So what? You will likely suffer more ridicule for carrying more than one light and spare batteries. This has happened to me!