Well it had to be done, Luxeon Side Emitter Pill with 2AA Reflectors

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's the SE Pill:

sepill1.jpg

And some comparitive beam shots:

sepillil.jpg

First up is the Brinkmann 2AA. The threads actually run out just before the reflector moves in enough to focuse a real tight beam.

Note that light measurements are made at 1 meter and beam shots are at ten feet. The Luxeon lens projects about a five foot circle of light at ten feet, where the reflector keeps the beam focused to about 12" at ten feet.

sepillmag.jpg

Next up is the MiniMag and Pill combination. The MiniMag does a better job of focusing the beam, but alas, the switch mechanism doesn't function. So some more work would be required to alter the reflector to preserve the on/off switch function. I just wacked the reflector off to get these beam shots.

So, it appears a brighter yet narrower beam is possible using the SE Luxeon and AA reflectors. However, some additional work would be involved to correctly focus the Brinkmann and to make the switch work right in the MiniMag.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lambda,

Nice work! Have you made any comparisons of the SE to a HD? There's seems to be some controversy about which works better. Just hoping you'd chime on it as well.
smile.gif

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Lux Luthor:
Lambda,

Nice work! Have you made any comparisons of the SE to a HD? There's seems to be some controversy about which works better. Just hoping you'd chime on it as well.
smile.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Some time this week I'll try to get a HD in a Mag for direct comparison to the SE in Mag I made Saturday.

Seems to me the HD has more spill light beyond the corona than the SE. But we'll find out.

Stupid work tomorrow, don't they know there are flashlights to be made???
confused.gif

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice work, Lambda
icon14.gif

I guess it's time for me to start experimenting around with the huge pile of AA reflectors I've accumulated..
grin.gif