Looking for VERY bright alternatives

JasonC

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

I've recently bought and XO and SF L4 because of this forum so I hope you can help me spend a bit more!

I'm quite pleased with both of the above for carrying around but now I'm after something REALLY bright! I'm not so bothered about the size although I have limits! I've been looking at the Elektrolumens ELX-6 and ELX-12 of which both look pretty bright and wondered if anyone here has either? I did a search but did'nt seem to get much info on these 2.
I obviously prefer the ELX-12 because its brighter but it is rather big and wondered if anyone knew of any other alternatives which are as bright if not brighter? I'm not too bothered about the cost but obviously I want good value for money!

I hope someone can help and maybe give me or point me in the right direction of some beams shots of some bright lights to help me decide?

Many thanks!
Jason

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep an eye out of the Buy/Sell/Trade forum for an HD45 5w, those things are BRIGHT. As for a light that is easy to get, the L4 is pretty bright but you allready have that, and maybe another member can chime in about a different light.

Illum

Flashaholic
JasonC said:
Hi All,

I've recently bought and XO and SF L4 because of this forum so I hope you can help me spend a bit more!

I'm quite pleased with both of the above for carrying around but now I'm after something REALLY bright! I'm not so bothered about the size although I have limits! I've been looking at the Elektrolumens ELX-6 and ELX-12 of which both look pretty bright and wondered if anyone here has either? I did a search but did'nt seem to get much info on these 2.
I obviously prefer the ELX-12 because its brighter but it is rather big and wondered if anyone knew of any other alternatives which are as bright if not brighter? I'm not too bothered about the cost but obviously I want good value for money!

I hope someone can help and maybe give me or point me in the right direction of some beams shots of some bright lights to help me decide?

Many thanks!
Jason

Good opening, the XO may seem weak to you if you use the L4 too much, Im thinking of getting an L4 and selling the XOMT

Some suggestions/questions on your "limits"
What type of battery are you familiar using?
Whats a rough estimate of the dimensions for what your looking for?
Do you prefer multi-bulb lights or single light assemblies?
What type of emitter do you prefer? [Xenon, Luxeon, LED, etc]
Are you looking for Spot or flood option? [optics]
What are your price ranges?

Im not really a person on insanely bright lights, I go mostly for the $25-$70 lights that best suits my needs.

these questions asked are some frequent questions that drift around the forum every time someone states a vague question about wanting a new light, its for others to better answer your question

Unfortunately I do not have the knowledgeable expertise on quality lights and or the diverse sum of lights that is covered in your variable ranges.

I apologize for the gaps in my education, have a nice day.

Regards

JasonC

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your repsonses, sorry I should have given more info so here goes...

Size wise I'm looking at around a MAG 4D sort of size, so much bigger than my L4, the reason want it bigger is that I presume it will be more powerful.

Batteries, I'm used to using CR123s for my XO and L4 but I don't really mind what batteries they are but I would prefer rechargable as they will no doubt be bigger and more expensive for a larger light to keep buying alkalines.

I prefer Luxeon LEDs or whichever is the most powerful LED, I don't really want incadesent. I don't mind whether its a multi emitter or single, as long as its bright!

I'm looking for a good throwing beam but with some side spill, perhaps inbetween my XO (tight) and my L4 (wide)

As I said above the price is not that much of an issue but obviously I want the best I can get for the money! as a ball park figure I'm lookng at spending around £200-£300.

I hope that will help you help me!

Illum_the_nation, I highly recomend the L4, it is much better than the XO (for my uses anyway) the XO is very good for the price and I will be keeping it!

Many thanks

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jason,

I also say the K2 Stunner would be the brightest in a 4D size.

John

JasonC

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the help everyone, I think I'm going to go with the K2-Stunner, it looks quite good. I've emailed Wayne at Elektrolumens a couple of questions first, if all seems ok then my order is placed!

FrogsInWinter, thanks for that link, however I don't like the look of that for some reason, although it does look like it would be nice and bright.

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jason,
Can you give a quick review of your impressions of an L4?
I'm already getting an E2e, just kind of on the edge of whether or not to get an L4 since i'm also considering a Fenix P1. hehehe