Which Inova light compares to the Surefire L4???

AC_Doctor

Newly Enlightened
Which one of the Inova lights compares more to the Surefire L4 in flood/throw?
TIA...

AC

Chris201W

Enlightened
I don't think any of them really do. I think the closest you'll come to that beam profile is an X5, but that's not nearly as bright. The closest in beam profile and brightness is probably the reflectored XO, but even that's not very close.

AC_Doctor

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the quick reply. I was really looking for the brightest Inova with the best flood/throw available for work. Is the XO3 the closest thing in comparison?

AC

Drew

Newly Enlightened
All of the Inova lights with the TIROS optic are throw only. There is no flood at all and very little spill-beam. The only Luxeon model I can think of that would have flood is the new XO. It has a reflector instead of an optic. From what I gather it has more flood than throw.

I have an Inova T3 and I love the light. I picked it up on ebay for about $45 over a year ago. It is built like a tank and has tons of throw for its size and battery life. I don't have much trouble using it up-close either, but I rarely need an area light.

Drew

steve_vance

Enlightened
AC_Doctor said:
Which one of the Inova lights compares more to the Surefire L4 in flood/throw?
TIA...

AC

Good question. There's really no Inova that directly compares to the L4, because Inova doesn't use the Luxeon V in any of their lights. A good idea might be to look at the review for the L4 on www.flashlightreviews.com, paying special attention to the throw/overall outout numbers. Then look at the comparison chart. You can click on the headings of the chart to sort by any category. Here's what you'll find:
There are several Inovas that have a lot more "throw" than the L4, but not near as much overall output. I'm not sure why this , but it could have to do with the fact that, all other things being equal, a 5-watt Lux puts out more light than a 3-watt. Here's an example:
*prices quoted are current prices from Brightguy

light throw overall output runtime to 50% price
SF L4 22.64 58 1 hr 21 min $165
Inova T3 45.83 28 2 hr 23 min $ 65

the big question is, what's of most value to you? Runtime? Price? Throw? Light output? Beam pattern? One big difference is that the L4 has a "softer" beam pattern....more spillbeam, less of a central hotspot, which is probably the reason for the lower throw numbers.

They're both great lights. Read the reviews, then decide. Good luck!
BY THE WAY: XO3 and T3 are the same light, with exception of the clickie switch (on T3)

Last edited:

berto

Newly Enlightened
The L4 is crazy bright and throws pretty good but it has a 5watt led.
inovas use a less powerfull 3watt. Also the L4 costs twice as much.

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want a flood, don't overlook the venerable old X5. This was one of the first quality built LED flashlights on the market that was worth a damn, and they've recently updated it. Other than that, maybe there's a beamshaper/diffuser that fits the T3 or X03.

Illum

Flashaholic
I own the old XO and the XO3...but not the L4

from the numbers from Dougs flashlightreviews.com the inovas seem far superior than the L4 regarding throw, but the intensity...no dice

however, from the beamshot comparisons of past forums with the inova vs Surefire

no dice, theres no comparison between them...Id say the XO3 would be a "poor mans" L4..

I mean jeez...$70 for the XO3, $165 for the L4

READ BEFORE YOU ASK "INOVA VS SUREFIRE"

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
The closest match I have found for the L4 is the Nuwai tm-301x-5. It is a 5w lux with similar beam to the SF. Its build quality is nowhere near the SF, but it is also around 65$. Not bad.

Illum

Flashaholic
fieldops said:
The closest match I have found for the L4 is the Nuwai tm-301x-5. It is a 5w lux with similar beam to the SF. Its build quality is nowhere near the SF, but it is also around 65$. Not bad.

W00t!

heres a review Doc
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_tm301x5.htm

an extra 30 minute runtime to 50%
output more bluish than L4..
$100 cheaper

L4: 512/5800
301_V: 523/4000