New to Luxeon LEDs Need help picking a handheld.

bpool21

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys, guess you dont have a Introduction section so I'll just get to it.

I've searched around for 2 weeks off and on and found an 11watt luxeon on ebay with the 123 rechargables for about $70. I was suspicious of the 11watt but have no knowledge of LEDs and Wattages. I found the forum while searching for 11watt LEDs on Google and have spent about 2 hours on here.

I need a small belt sized light for work as I do networking and pull cables and identify routers and switches in many different drop ceilings from day to day and its always dark and hot. I figured an LED light would be more practical for my situation but please feel free to comment.

I saw the beamshots database and liked the look of the surefire m6 and also the bushnell 3w 100 lumens ben meadows light. --> http://www.benmeadows.com/search/default.htm?noredirect=true&pf_id=16033&N=4294966921+4294966899+4294966898+4294937343&dept_id=21599

I really wanted something rechargable but I really dont have the knowledge of this hobby to know what would be most cost efficent for me in the long run.
I will spend between $50 and $100 US on a light or a bit more if it has a built in computer/PDA :D

here is the item numbers on the ebay lights I have looked at for the last couple weeks.
200005337133 11watt luxeon with 4 rechargable 3.7v 800mAh
120005377869 5watt luxeon with 2 rechargable 3.0v 650mAh CR123A (120Lumens)

I know walmart sells 1 or 3watt lights with the 123A batteries for under $20US so would it just be best for me to get one of those and a charger?

edit: I actually just found a post on google from a guy named "darthstrydre" Who stated the largest wattage production is 5watt everything else is just overpowered with a shortened lifespan. Cheap Chinese massed produced lights tend to go out in hours and rechargable luxeon lights tend to be more dim. I still want some opinions on a good decent light that wont have me changing batteries everyday after about 1 hour use daily if that.

Any help from you guys would be awesome as this just isnt my field.

carrot

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF!

There's always the Fenix series of lights which are bright and cost-effective. I've found them to be reliable. For around $45 you can get an L2T which has output levels, high and low -- lasting about 1500 minutes on low.

There's also the Streamlight Propolymer 4AA Luxeon, which has a really good runtime, but I can't remember off the top of my head. It's also reliable, bright, and sturdy. Around $40 at Fox-Intl.com

Most people aren't ready to get lights using lithium 123 cells, but if you are, consider a Surefire, such as the L1 for ~$110 from OpticsHQ.com or the more reasonably priced (but comparable) Inova lights, like the T2 with 6 hours of runtime and a respectable brightness, under $60 at BatteryJunction.com

Randy Shackleford

Enlightened
Most of those 6W, 7W, 8W, ...11W output/Lumen claims are bogus. They put a resistor in the light to reduce the output of the batteries (otherwise the LED would blow). The light winds up eating much of the "wattage" in the resistor.

5W golston you listed is probably just run in direct drive (no resistor). But is just a Golston host with an unknown binned LUX V hardly worth $54 shipped. Read about the Golston here. I really like the Golston as a mod light. But, beware... there is plenty of hype around these Chinese lights on feebay.

Check out these beamshots Golston/Downboy Vs. U2.

I am sure you will get lots of recommendations here. You should check out: http://www.flashlightreviews.com . Use the info from CPF and cross-reference recomendations with the info on flashlightreviews.

Last edited:

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello bpool21:)

Welcome at CPF:grin2:

Like carrot said, the Fenix L2T could be the right light. If you will work in a narrow area with your light, I would prefer two output levels.

The SL PP Lux4AA could be too bright at working close.

When you need a long runtime, the 5.....11W Ebay-lights will be too expensive at the end with their primaries and with rechargables the runtime will be too short.

Best regards

____
Tom

bpool21

Newly Enlightened
Wow, great info guys, thanks for the replies.

I am starting to understand that the LED is just an LED and you are paying for size, shape, lense and head angle and so on... 1, 3, and 5w are all that are available without "overclocking" the LED.

What does the Lumens mean in lamens terms? I see 40 and 100 and 150 but have no idea what kind of beam the lamp will have. I really like the Bushnell 3-Watt because of its safety flashing features and price +/- $60, I really like the invoa t4 because it is easily rechargable, it states its effective up to 300ft and is also 100 lumens - it is a little long but I like it for +/- $100.

Illum

Flashaholic
Inovas....

preferrably the XO3

but depends on what you need, if you want amazing throw, and moderate intensity...SL PP 4AA Lux for starters, this thing throws like a Lux III

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/streamlight_propolyluxeon.htm

Regulated, waterproof, and specialized parabolic reflector, all for under $35...batteries are easy to find AAs, 4 included, lanyard included, yellow or black

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sounds like you want a small, tough flashlight for illuminating pretty short distances. I usually recommend the SL PP Lux, as many others on this thread have, but it's a little uncomfortable for convenient EDC (although it's possible, of course - mine was my EDC for months). I would recommend a smaller light for your situation. Something like a Fenix L0P, L1P, L1T, or P1 could fit the bill nicely. I have an L2T, but you probably don't need quite as much light, so the dual-output L1T might work well for you. Also, the L_T lights work great on NiMHs. Fenix has a great reputation for building solid, durable lights at about $40-50 each. They're also a lot cheaper than PeakLED's (similar to Fenix's, but ~$100 each) offerings.

Dawg

Enlightened
I am a big proponent of the Bushnell and the Streamlight Polypro 4 AA luxeon. Forget about fenix.

For a newbie and a work light, go to Target and get a 2 AAA River Rock. Plenty bright for what you need. They have a pocket clip that is actually pretty good. Then get a Bushnell for the fun light. You cannot get a brighter light for anywhere near $52.50.

bpool21

Newly Enlightened
I'm not too sure about anything that I want anymore after reviewing 10+ lights. I really like how easy it is to charge that inova but it would really be a hassle to carry and stick in the mouth if needed.

I do really need just a small light so I dont drop it on customers or have it fall through drop ceiling tiles... But from time to time, I need to identify areas up in the ceiling next to i-beams where there is a small whole in the sheetrock allowing me access for cables... this is difficult as I would need a light either big enough to project 150 ~ 250 feet or heavy enough with all the batteries to throw the beam that far.

I really want the equivalence of a 6 or 8 cell Mag light. I know some of these small lights are extremely powerfull but since I've not seen any in action, I have nothing to compair to. True, I dont want a light that is too bright to use close up but I really would like to see through a ceiling to a wall or identify different color cables where I cannot readily access with my ladder without moving customers just to check a cable color.

I think you guys get my drift with this, I like the "wow" factor of these small lights but it boils down to my happiness with working with it daily or whenever I need it.

I checked out google quickly but didnt see a riverrock, I looked at the streamlights some lately and might actually end up with one. I would probably prefer a dual mode light with low/high intensity settings. I use some 2300mah batteries for all of my AA accessories would 2300ma be too much for typical luxeon lights? I mean do I need to worry about my amps or are the retail lights mostly regulated to avoid amperage failures?

Thanks again for all your help guys.

carrot

Flashaholic
The obvious answer is to get a smaller light first, and if you still feel that it doesn't cover all your needs, to get a bigger one... So I recommend starting with a Fenix L1P or L1T, and if it's not enough, get another one as your "wow" light.

Warp

Enlightened
bpool21 said:
I do really need just a small light so I dont drop it on customers or have it fall through drop ceiling tiles... But from time to time, I need to identify areas up in the ceiling next to i-beams where there is a small whole in the sheetrock allowing me access for cables... this is difficult as I would need a light either big enough to project 150 ~ 250 feet or heavy enough with all the batteries to throw the beam that far.

How small does the light that needs to illimunate at distances of 150-250 feet have to be?

The River Rock 2xAAA they mentioned is $10 at Target. You can find a review here, it is the same thing as the Nuwai TM-311H.
http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_tm-311h_2aaa.htm

Great light for the money.

bpool21 said:
I checked out google quickly but didnt see a riverrock, I looked at the streamlights some lately and might actually end up with one. I would probably prefer a dual mode light with low/high intensity settings. I use some 2300mah batteries for all of my AA accessories would 2300ma be too much for typical luxeon lights? I mean do I need to worry about my amps or are the retail lights mostly regulated to avoid amperage failures?
Could something the size of the Streamlight 4AA Propolymer Luxeon be used for the times you have to see far? It has great throw for it's size and runs for 3.5-4 hours at ~100%, great regulation. You can run it with alkaline, lithium or NiMH batteries.

Last edited:

JLavino

Newly Enlightened
I had the HDS EDC 42XRGT for a while, I only paid 99$ for it here on the forums. These sounds like a light to fit your requirements, and it has 4 stages. Im sure you can find one on the BS thread here.

Cheers!

Rando

Enlightened
One thing that you should be aware of (and I'm surprised that it hasn't been mentioned yet) is that LED lights can make it hard to see colors. An incandescent light is usually a lot better for picking colors out. Also, not all lights can take rechargable batteries, especially lights that use the 3.0 volt CR123 lithium cells. Rechargables of this type are usually 3.7 volts. NIMH rechargable cells such as AA or C are usually 1.2 volts compared to 1.5 volt alkalines. Check compatibility first.

Having said that, I like the River Rock LED lights at Target for their price. They have a .5 watt 2xAAA light that runs around $10, is available in black or silver finish and does a great job for its size and price. Be careful though. Target also has 1.5 watt versions in a green finish that take either 2xAA or 2xC. These last two lights have a lens that projects a TIGHT circle of light significantly farther, but at the expense of peripheral light, or "Spill". I think these were running around $30 each, and I wouldn't really recommend them for your purposes.

Good luck!

Illum

Flashaholic
TigerhawkT3 said:
It sounds like you want a small, tough flashlight for illuminating pretty short distances. I usually recommend the SL PP Lux, as many others on this thread have, but it's a little uncomfortable for convenient EDC (although it's possible, of course - mine was my EDC for months).

Its not impossible to edc in pocket...providing your wearing the "grandpa pants" with pockets to your ankles. I EDC it by backpack

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
bpool21 said:
I'm not too sure about anything that I want anymore after reviewing 10+ lights. I really like how easy it is to charge that inova but it would really be a hassle to carry and stick in the mouth if needed.

I really want the equivalence of a 6 or 8 cell Mag light. I know some of these small lights are extremely powerfull but since I've not seen any in action, I have nothing to compair to. True, I dont want a light that is too bright to use close up but I really would like to see through a ceiling to a wall or identify different color cables where I cannot readily access with my ladder without moving customers just to check a cable color.

I think you guys get my drift with this, I like the "wow" factor of these small lights but it boils down to my happiness with working with it daily or whenever I need it.

Thanks again for all your help guys.
What you want is a decent rechargeable light with lots of throw (range) + good runtime, yet compact enough for every day use. So forget the Fenix, you need a serious tool, not something cool to carry on your keychain.

Your answer is: The Streamlight Strion

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/streamlight_strion.htm

Last edited:

bpool21

Newly Enlightened
I've been doing research on here trying to find a light like the streamlight 4AA but smaller package... and I ran into a photo I had a question about.

compare1.jpg

Is this the typical power of a luxeon I 3 or 5w light? Or is the batteries just dead on the other light?
If that is a u2 or m6 I could understand as they are a bit more expensive but what light would you guys compair the luxeon beam to as I really like it (maybe for "wow" only)?

Photo from lamda lights

SCblur

Enlightened
In my mind, you are describing a HDS EDC light almost to a T. Here is a review of the Ultimate 60 model.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/hds_edcu60xr.htm

There are several versions, I have the Basic 42 XRGT. High mode when you need it, lower levels for more common uses to save the batteries. Also, it's designed to work with rechargeables or primaries, with no loss of brightness. Quite compact, and very very well build. To the highest standards, in fact. Not cheap, but worth every penny.

Also keep in mind that HDS DOES NOT inflate their lumen ratings as many companies do. So a 42 lumen light from HDS may in fact be brighter than an advertised 60 lumens from someone else.

Welcome to CPF, good luck in your search.

Newuser01

Enlightened
Lots and lots of good advice here.....

But let me tell you what I have and how I use them for. (hvac, installation and servicing.)

1. Streamlight PP LED 4AA(not Lux) works great looking and working in the ceiling. (carried in the tool bag.) Broad beam, very good to work with. I just put this down and work. Gives me lots of lights for a long time.

2. trouble shooting (1 cell LED with my DMM.) on my key chain with quick release for closeup. This one is chinese AAA clone. Much much brighter than Minimag nite-ize upgraded 2aa,Hold it in the mouth or I just tape it up to something close by. Its so light that it wont fall down...

3. Streamlight PP Lux 4AA for spotting wiring termination and where all the ducks are coming and going. This one tied to the strap of my tool bag. Long throw, long run time, what else can i say. The best bang for the buck. This on gets less use but lots of fun at night.

All lights are using commond AA/AAA. Last a long long time on a set and never left me in the dark. All of them glows in the dark too when power is shut off for some reason. But I use 150watt work light if I'll be up there for hours on ends... (hot hot hot!! drinks lots of water....when it get hot every1 wants their AC!!!! Dang...)

All Streamlights can be had for about 20 bucks and chinese AAA clone is about 5 bucks. Hey!! CR123 alone can cost more than the chinese clone! what a bargain for the light you get.....

hehe...Sorry about the rambling......

Enjoy!
Newbie...

I dont think (IMHO!) no one needs more light than PP Lux 4AA with the expection of Tactical and EMS folks and such. Plz dont flame me on this. Just an opinion. And with lifetime no questions warranty.:dedhorse: