The farthest "Throw"

thehappyman

Newly Enlightened
If you recall my first post I just joined this forum yesterday.
Let me start out my saying that I have never seen such an active forum and devoted enthusiasts as I find here.......
Really Great !!

Well I am in need of enlightenment. I looked at the chart of "Throw" and "Overall Output's" complied by Flashlight Reviews for a number of flashlight manufactures and it appears that the Taskforce 3Watt Luxeon has the greatest "Throw" of any 2/3 cell LED lights listed in the chart (but not the greatest "O.A. Output"). Could this be true ?, does this light really have the greatest throw of any LED light ??? And if so, WHY ????????

It seems that no one Light can be the best of all things.

Thehappyman

Last edited:

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well the Task Force Light has good throw its defintely not the best, the Night Ops Gladius has Great throw(The exact same as the TaskForce, but much smaller), The output is still pretty decent. The LED logic Striker-VG is the One of the best LED throwers out there, and still have more output than most LuxV outhere. The ledlogic surpasses the Surefire L5,U2,and l4.

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I agree with Skalo that the Striker is one of the best throwers. The best I've seen are as follows in order:

1. McGizmo HD-45 with Lux III
2. McGizmo Aleph 3 with Lux III
3. Ledlogic Striker VG Lux III
4. Ebay light LR-10W (unknown manufacturer, G&P?)
5. Mag-Led 3w 2-3D cell (does not hold full intensity long)
6. Streamlight Propolymer Lux 4AA

These are just my experiences.

Illum

Flashaholic
Numbers dont matter that much, what matters is the application the light is going to be used in...
ex: a good light to use when reading a map doesnt necessarily it will illuminate the side of a barn at 100 yarz, but its a good light because you can read maps w/o blinding yourself...

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO, if you can take the reflector out of a heliotek light and then use it on a U bin luxIII driven at 1000ma, it will have the BEST throw.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as Leds go the Streamlight 4aa lux has VERY good throw! The Ledbeam 3C does too, but it is quite a bit larger. In a small package the Ilumibeam XL1 has HUGE throw with a 3.7v rechargable battery in it.

Rando

Enlightened
If battery cost is a consideration, keep in mind that the Taskforce uses inexpensive C alkalines, as opposed to lithium cells. I have this light and it's one of my functional favorites. I recommend it a lot.

mdocod

Flashaholic
it would apear that you didn't look closely enough at the selection of 2-3 celled lights there....

the LEDBEAM http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/ledbeam_3c.htm is a 3xC sized flashlight, looks just like a mag, and has a reflector very similar to a mag- scores significantly higher overall output than the taskforce, and significantly higher throw as well...

I own both the taskforce and ledbeam..., and a LuxV light... and the LEDBEAM out-throws the taskforce and the LuxV by a good amount- and on fresh cells, the LEDBEAM with the luxIII keeps up with the LuxV light pretty well in overall output...

at $20.. it's probably going to be the most LED-THROW you can get for the money.

thehappyman

Newly Enlightened
The LEDBEAM does have a great throw - Its really bright. As bright as the ledlogic Stryker. Guess thats not one for the shirt pocket though.

But its Sooooo Biggggggg.......... But for $29, WOW.

Thehappyman

Last edited:

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
adirondackdestroyer said:
As far as Leds go the Streamlight 4aa lux has VERY good throw! The Ledbeam 3C does too, but it is quite a bit larger. In a small package the Ilumibeam XL1 has HUGE throw with a 3.7v rechargable battery in it.
i'll have to try one of my CR123 protected cells in my ilumabeam!:rock:

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
Lights with a large throw and a small overall out put is like a laser beam. It is very narrow and bright in the middle, but not bright anywhere else. The lights with a small throw and a large overall are like a floodlamp. They are great for doing close work and lighting up a room.

cy

Flashaholic
MR-X X3T is brightest single LED light and throws further than any LED light I'm aware of.