AA Maglite & Niteize

QMT2

Newly Enlightened
I just bought a new AA Maglite and a Niteize Led thing. I put in the LED upgrade and that thing was worst than the regular bulb that Maglites come with. Did I get a bad one or something?

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
QMT2 said:
Did I get a bad one or something?

Nope. The Nite Ize is basically a low light with a floody beam. Uses are best reserved for indoor navigation during a blackout.
I did have a Dorcy 1xAA with the 3/5mm LED configuration that was more useful as far as light ouput.

I now have a Streamlight 1xAA tasklight that kills them both.

Last edited:

Empath

Flashaholic
No, you didn't get a bad one, unless you want to call the whole Niteize C/D drop-in concept bad. I use one in a 1 cell battery burner night light set up. Since it doesn't reach cutoff until about .8 volts, it's useful for that, and provides a little night light too.

In the Mag C and D lights, I can see it as an emergency backup to keep in the tail cap, but it's usefullness in use would be limited to low light requirement.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
The NiteIze AA module is a commonly available reasonable facsimale of the Opalec, itself more of a close up use flood than throw.

But to get decent Minim*g throw you'd have to spend a LOT more!!!!

I have one of the NiteIze C/D bulbs in a 4D M*g as a power outage light. It should run a week or more EASY at a few hours a night!!!

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new Mag 3w mini mag will be out soon. It should have the brightness you need. If not try the Fenix L2T or the Ultrafire 3w 2AA.

Bror Jace

Enlightened
I like my MMAA-Nite-Ize combo. I think it provides a good deal of useable light ... for walking trails at night (ones you are already familiar with) or bumbling through the house late at night. A little light goes a long way in these situations. :)

I bought a drop-in for one of the black Mini-Mags I used to wear on my helmet as a firefighter 15 years ago. I liked the light and have been using it and the same batteries at least once each night for the past 7-8 months now. :D

Then I bought a new Mini-Mag in a purty copper color at Tarjay for about $7 last winter and got another Nite-Ize drop-in for that one.

However, now that I discovered this place, I agree that dropping $12-$15 on this low performance light is not really a lot of bang for the buck. There are better alternatives available.

Illum

Flashaholic
theres a reason why its up for grabs @ $5 in walmart

if you want a brighter alternative...check with the sandwich shoppe

I use mine for taking lecture in a dark room...otherwise I have no purpose for it...

CLHC

Flashaholic
Well, I did purchase the Nite-Ize drop-in a while back and after turning it on, I got rid of it straight away. I have not seen the MJLED, but have heard about them. The Bad Boy NexGen 750mA TW0J Lux.III (The Sandwich Shoppe) is what I went with on my setup and I must say WOW! ! ! :huh:

Enjoy!

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also well worth considering is the TerraLUX TLE-5 - about 5X brighter than the Nite-Ize (~52 lumens) and with about 6X the runtime of the stock bulb. It's impressively brighter than stock. 1W sorted T bin Luxeon I with regulation.

We have a CPF Special for them at $22.95 with a free TerraLUX tailcap switch (usually another $4) LINK

Illum

Flashaholic
CHC said:
Well, I did purchase the Nite-Ize drop-in a while back and after turning it on, I got rid of it straight away. I have not seen the MJLED, but have heard about them. The Bad Boy NexGen 750mA TW0J Lux.III (The Sandwich Shoppe) is what I went with on my setup and I must say WOW! ! ! :huh:

Enjoy!

heres some reviews for you QMT2 :huh:
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/bb_mm.htm

I use My nite-ize around the house at night....bright enough to see my way w/o turning on the lights yet night bright enough [especially at around 3AM] to wake my dad and have him running around the house with a baseball bat or the neighbors calling the cops...

mac66

Newly Enlightened
I personally don't see any sense in putting a $45 LED bulb in a $9.00 Mini Mag. Seems to me the Nite IZE is a good cheap way of converting the most popular (I didn't say best) flashlight of all time into a more durable longer lasting light.

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a review of the Niteize, look here: edited out, I need to pay more attention to what I'm doing :D

Last edited:

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brighteyez said:
I got the impression that the discussion here was about the Niteize LED module. Seems that your reference is to a discussion about the the Niteize IQ Switch.

Oops :stupid: my mistake.

Illum

Flashaholic
mac66 said:
I personally don't see any sense in putting a $45 LED bulb in a $9.00 Mini Mag. Seems to me the Nite IZE is a good cheap way of converting the most popular (I didn't say best) flashlight of all time into a more durable longer lasting light.

well...putting it in a minim@g will not tempt people from touching your lights...since with all the LED industry...few people think about minim@gs nowadays...except in here:laughing:

Bror Jace

Enlightened
I think it has a lot to do with your expectations going into the purchase.

I have use of a low-output light. Theyt are very effective in pitch-dark conditions. And the run time of these things is pretty amazing. Last winter, I put a couple used, heavy-duty AAs from a light I bought in 2004 into this my Nite-Ized 2AA Mini-Mag. I use the light everyday, sometime for a half hour or more and it's still going, although dimly.

I never cared for the pattern of the stock Mini-Mags I've owned for decades. For me, the Nite-Ize was a definitie improvement in usable light. But in the daytime, it's hard to tell if these things are even on.

I must be clear, however: These lights are NOT a good deal if
you buy the Minimag and then the Nite Eyez as an add-on ( I did this a couple months before I found this place. For ~$13 you can do better.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Lit Up said:
Much better.

Sure. You'll get no arguement from me.

My Lambda LUXIII pilled Minim*g is LIGHT YEARS better than my NiteIze mini.

But what the NiteIze does well is emulate the Opalec Newbeam for about 1/4 - 1/3 of the price. It's also commonly available.

Opalec might be that much better.... but maybe not.

For what it is NiteIze is GOOD stuff!