Light to cure an addiction.

x2x3x2

Banned
I would like to know which of the currently available lights would keep u happy without breaking the bank.
To be more flexible, u could have one for EDC and another for work.

For myself it would have to be;

EDC: Fenix P1
+ Good price.
+ Good size.
+ Bright for a majority of tasks.
+ 2+ hours regulated on Energizer CR123A lithiums.
- Too bright for close up work.

Work: Bushnell 3 Watt
+ Good price.
+ Good size.
+ 3 level output, SOS and lockout.
+ Tailcap indicator for low battery level more accurate/perceptible than judging from output.
- Reverse push button switch.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The P1 looks like a good EDC choice. I carry a Jil, but it costs a little more.

For work, it's got to be a 5w light. I use a Nuwai ALX-053L, and this would be my budget worklight (is, actually). The ALX-153L or 253L would be just as good. If I were trying to cure an addiction, though, it'd be an L4, or U2. It's probably best to get the expensive one you dream about first. It'll end up saving you a lot of money. On the other hand, it may desensitize you to the "irrationality" of dropping large sums of cash on a light.

Last edited:

Warp

Enlightened
I am hoping to get a Fenix P1 to round out my EDC. The bright fully regulated approx 2 hour (at max) output and diminutive size should be great. It will fit right between my relatively low output but long running Inova X 1 and BRIGHT but short runtime (20 minutes to 50%) Surefire with P61 lamp.

Being in the middle of the three if I could only take one between the X1, G2 and as yet unaquired P1 I am guessing I would take the P1 and be happy. :)

x2x3x2

Banned
Personally I tend to stay away from the Lux V's.
They are a bunch of Lux I on a small footprint, which accelerates degration of the LED and results to the reduced 1000 hours runtime. On heavy use as a work light, the tint would probably start to shift within 6 months as well.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say the Bushnell 3w for both since it is a 3 level flashlight which is more useful all around.

I personally prefer a 5w because it has a larger spot and sidespill. I first started with the Streamlight 2L 3W 3w luxeon, but ended up buying a Surefire U2 for the brightness and adjustable levels....especially the adjustable levels because I use it for various tasks.

OldGreyGuy

Enlightened
Absolutely happy with my McLuxIII PD. Yep, no way would I ever need another light, can't see how I could, yes sir perfectly happy.

Maybe if Don made some of those HAIII Al PD-27Ls that folks have been asking for, or maybe if some more Ti PDs are available and last more than 13 minutes before they are all sold, or perhaps......

clipse

Enlightened
EDC:

HDS EDC U60XRGT (my U60 should show up tomorrow)

Work:

Surefire U2.

clipse

JohnJ80

Enlightened
A new light doesn't "cure" the addiction. A new light "feeds" the addiction.

the only way to get away from being a flashaholic is some not yet developed 12 step program .... or bankruptcy.

For example, you don't give a crack addict more crack to "cure" them.

Hate to break the bad news to you, but there it is.

J.