So, SL 4AA Luxeon is my favorite in the field.

I use my lights quite often and I have two favorites. Eveready 4AA headlamp fitted with Mag Xenon and the SL 4AA Luxeon. I use my lights mainly for urban exploration and the setting can contain a mixture of environments similar to outdoors, rescue and industrial.

The SL 4AA Luxeon is already one of the CPF favorites, so I'll talk about the deficiencies first.

Inside buildings, this light is often too bright and easy to blind my partners with. The ideal setup is two brightness settings. Full output and mini-mag like output.

I would prefer if it was a bit shorter, but no big complaint and I say its about the right size.

Now for the good stuff.

I took my 2D Maglite(LED) and SL 4AA Luxeon to my sites. They cost about the same and I much prefer the 4AA Luxeon. The Maglite actually sat in the rear seat cupholder the wholetime.

Lanyard -
it is VERY handy. I think this is something many people take for granted. On the field, you just got to use both hands sometimes or hang it on something nearby.

Weight -
weighing in at ~8 oz, its not too light, not too heavy

oval shape-
It won't roll down and fall off

runtime -
I have yet to encounter a situation while exploring that needs more than 3 hours of runtime at once. If its likely I'll need tens of hours, I'll carry a dimmer, backup light, so this light has the ideal runtime. With my typical usage of 1-2 hours per site, 3 hours on alkaline and 4.5 hours on NiMH gives me an adequate overhead, but not so much that I carry unnecessary amount of battery bulk.

2D Mag LED would probably run for much longer time and less battery change frequency, but I have to carry along the extra weight/size of the batteries.

water resistance -
I don't usually get it wet on the field, but it gets dirty with graphite dust, grease etc. Ability to spray it down with Simple Green and wash down with water is definitely good.

polymer construction-
non sparking if dropped and less likely to damage the surface on which it is dropped on.

Electrically non conductive. If I accidentally contact across two phases with it, it will not create a shock hazard or short the circuit.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find the SL4AA is ideal for walking through woodland at night (not that I do much of that) where a light is essential. It has the perfect balance of throw and sidespill, its small enough to fit in a jacket pocket and provides 5 hours of useful light. Lets compare that to 2 torches on opposite ends of the scale

The arc AAA-p: bright enough to allow you to see what you're walking on but does not have enough throw to illumimate stuff 10-20 yards away. (excellent backup light)

3.5 million candlepower 100w torch: Creates one small spot of light on your subject which burns a hole in your retinas and destroys your night vision :laughing: weighs a lot and lasts about 15 mins. (just ridiculous really)

photonhoer

Newly Enlightened
Handlobraesing

i could not agree more!!! A headlamp for handsfree work, and a really good reach-out beam from the SL4AALux are a great combination. The latter is so bright and focussed that I have applied diffuser film to the outside of the lens to get some more spill for peripheral vision at night. My only possible addition may be something like the Finix P1, CR2Ion or FF3 - as a really small light that I always have with me under almost any circumstance.

Great value on the SL4AALux - if you loose or (?) break it, you're not out a small fortune [or worse, are reluctant to carry it in the first place.]

John

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had the SL PP 4AA Lux for several weeks, and have used it extensively. It is what I usually grab for use around the house or out in the yard. I agree that this is a superb light: probably the absolute best available for a high value/price ratio.

I like to walk at night, and have taken to carrying it along in a belt holster, because, for me, it is just slightly too big for comfortable pants pocket carry while walking. OK for casual carry in a pocket around the house. But, when walking, I am always aware it's there in my pocket and can feel it rubbing against my body as I walk. Also, the batteries rattle a little when carried in a pocket.

For me, there is one thing that keeps this light from being the perfect outdoors-hiking light: the switch. I like to walk carrying a flashlight in my hand, lens pointing forward, switched off but ready to tap on instantly when needed. Although this light has a great momentary on, the placement of the switch means that when I activate it with my thumb, I have to raise my arm to shoulder height to direct the beam to see anything. I've tried to adapt by carrying it lens forward and using my little finger to tap the momentary on, but it's just too awkward.

I really wish they would make a version of this light with a thumb switch at the front like the UK 4AA lights. As long as I'm wishing for a redesigned light, how about a low setting to conserve batteries during emergencies?

Wish I could merge the best features of this light (throw, beam quality, superb regulation) with the best features of UK 4AA eLed(better switch, low setting.)

photonhoer

Newly Enlightened
I've been trying to figure out if one could incorporate the circuitry from the just released NiteIze IQ switch into this light. It would be AWESOME. Any ideas?