Ever tear a muscle and get redness?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe I tore the inner thigh muscle (what's it called inner abductor or something like that?) last Tuesday playing softball and sprinting to the base. At the time, immediately after the injury, I couldn't move side to side. Now a week later, quite a bit of the stability has returned but a large portion of the inner thigh is still sore to the touch and what is weird is that, there is a big red spot in the area, like a bad sunburn. Anybody ever experience that? I don't recall seeing redness in the skin when I tore my quad and hamstring a few years ago. I probably won't see the doctor as long as it continues to improve but wondered if somebody knows what all the redness is about.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's inflamed very badly then perhaps. I've torn stuff but never noticed it being red. Of course I'm red all over after going to the gym and tearing stuff on purpose, but that's just because I'm hot. ;)

I'd watch it incase it's something more serious like a torn/snapped ligament.

Nell

Enlightened
If your muscle is really torn, the redness is a result of the blood collecting under your skin.. Of course, that depends on how torn it really is. Sometimes look behind your knee area and you may see alot more redness. Think of all the blood that normally circulates in the muscle with nowhere to go until it mends internally. If you see a little redness, it is likely not too bad. Take it real easy for awhile or else you will rip the mucscle and you will have to under the knife to reattach the muscle.

scuba

Enlightened
I tore a calf muscle badly playing badminton a few months ago and my whole calf filled up with blood and turned quite colorful for a while. I could barely walk for the first 2 weeks and it took almost 2 months before everything came back to normal. Everything is fine now, like nothing ever happened, but it takes a long time to recover. I guess the best remedy is just to wait. I also heard that alternating applying hot and cold on the muscle can help at the beginning.

Good luck!

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
see my fascinating post in this forum "EXTRAY! TTL falls into ravine, sprains ankle.." (actually it turned out I broke it)

you'll laugh you'll cry, you'll never go without your boots again..

btw, talking about the joys of pooling blood in one's extremities;
ever have a hernia operation? The blood pools in your scrotum, swelling it to the size of a grapefruit, and turns it dark blue/black! :party: I am not kidding. Feels kind of good actually, walking around with REALLY big ones, for a couple days, any way..sigh... ;)

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL, your hernia experience may be unique. That "misfortune" certainly didn't happen to me when I had hernia surgery some years ago.

TedTheLed said:
see my fascinating post in this forum "EXTRAY! TTL falls into ravine, sprains ankle.." (actually it turned out I broke it)

you'll laugh you'll cry, you'll never go without your boots again..

btw, talking about the joys of pooling blood in one's extremities;
ever have a hernia operation? The blood pools in your scrotum, swelling it to the size of a grapefruit, and turns it dark blue/black! :party: I am not kidding. Feels kind of good actually, walking around with REALLY big ones, for a couple days, any way..sigh... ;)

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
really g? I had a inguinal hernia, (I knew I shouldn't have lifted all those iguanas) -- what kind did you have? (I never did trust that doctor -- you don't suppose she just accidentally severed something and didn't tell me?)

I don't mean to derail the topic though, maybe we should pm or go down into the underpants, er, I mean, underground..? ;)

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh gosh, my hernia operation was a long time ago when I was a teen. I don't know which type but it was in the intestinal area in the lower right adominal area. I know there are a gazillion different types of hernias and I'm sure each one has it's unique properties.

TedTheLed said:
really g? I had a inguinal hernia, (I knew I shouldn't have lifted all those iguanas) -- what kind did you have? (I never did trust that doctor -- you don't suppose she just accidentally severed something and didn't tell me?)

I don't mean to derail the topic though, maybe we should pm or go down into the underpants, er, I mean, underground..? ;)