10mm keychain light I made

iced_theater

Enlightened
I just made a very rough keychain light. It uses a 10mm led with a orange/red color, uses two lr44 batteries and this particular light has a Zebrawood body. I'd like to buy some high quality white 10 mm instead. Here are a few pictures, the comparison keychain light is one you can get from www.lighthound.com though it's not really as bright as it appears in the picture, but it is brighter than the one I made.

P7110006.jpg

P7110028.jpg

P7110029.jpg

Last edited:

vortechs

Enlightened
Looks nice.

I've never tried the 10mm LED's.

Have you checked the current draw and the voltage when the LED is running?

The two LR44's voltage probably sags under the load from the LED. Most of these type of keychain lights that I can think of seem to use 3 or 4 of these cells. It might be brighter with an additional cell. Just a thought.

iced_theater

Enlightened
I have no idea how to check the draw and voltage, nor do I have the meter to test it anyway. I'll see if I can stuff in another cell, well I tried one and two extra cells and it made very little if any visual difference.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
White leds will have a forward voltage of around 3.3~3.6 volts so you would need 3 of those LR44 1.55 volt cells to power it.

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am powering a smjled streamlght keymate with 4 lr44 so far so good, really bright for its size. I made another keychain light with 3 lr44 and smjled,ok but nowhere near as bright as the 4 lr44.It seems like there is a lot of voltage drop on these little batteries.