Overall immpresion of Digilight

sean m

Newly Enlightened
The title says it all, what is the overall imppresion you have of the digiglight product line?

Paladin

Enlightened
Since you did ask, IMO the Surefire D3 Defender for $69 with 10 free batteries from LAPoliceGear.com makes buying a Digilight sound pretty lame.

If little things like "o-ring retained bulbs which are not fixed in the ideal position like Surefire lamps" don't bother you, go for it. If little things like "their T series being blatant intellectual theft of Surefire's classic series" doesn't bother you, then go for it. How about contact springs wound BACKWARDS so they dig in and bind when installing the bezel? How about being stuck with a single source for replacement lamps which is often out of stock. How about customer service where when you explain the spring "fell off the lamp after being installed a couple of times" and they offer to SELL you a new one for 2/3's of what the bezel cost? How about a marketing strategy bordering on "snake oil sales" where you promise Greater lumen output with LESS energy consumed in defiance of the laws of physics?

Let's not even get into the gray market topic of consumers NOT knowing which version of a lamp will be received when they order one..."only the one's filled with magic pixie gas" are desireable.

Yes, I DID buy a Digilight 12VHP lamp and RX-12V bezel as an intellectual exercise to see how they performed. I wish I had bought another Surefire D3!

Paladin

mdocod

Flashaholic
o-ring retained bulbs which are not fixed in the ideal position like Surefire lamps

some people call that adjustability- something surefire lacks in it's beam... some people might consider it a feature rather than a problem...

their T series being blatant intellectual theft of Surefire's classic series
the idea of a tube containing batteries with a lamp at one end is no longer a cutting edge new technology... it's previous art, it's common public domain knowledge... many companies sell similar products with similar names and don't care- funny how sometimes only the blind faith follower sees a problem where there isn't..

springs wound BACKWARDS so they dig in and bind
I've used a number of G&P type lamps that are essencially of the same design as the digilight- and have never experienced this problem.... In fact.. my Surefire P91 LA digs and grinds just as much as any other LA I have used..

How about being stuck with a single source for replacement lamps which is often out of stock
actually you can use LAs from surefire, digilight, G&P, wolf eyes.... and many other sources in digilight bodies.. I've seen surefire "out of stock" on LAs before.. it happens to the best of them.... But rest assured- whether you buy the Surefire or the digilight, you have LOTS of sources for lamps that work great.

How about a marketing strategy bordering on "snake oil sales" where you promise Greater lumen output with LESS energy consumed in defiance of the laws of physics?

Let's not even get into the gray market topic of consumers NOT knowing which version of a lamp will be received when they order one..."only the one's filled with magic pixie gas" are desireable.
you're just flat out bashing... it's mostly rude.... but I suppose we could let it slide... the sad thing is that I'll be frowned upon by most people around here for supporting the underdog while still apreciating Surefire... you'll get priased for blowing things way out of proportion and looking at every aspect in a completally single sided manner...

Tends to be that SUrefire lamps are very consistant in quality, power consumption, and output... This is a good thing... but on the other hand- It's nice to know SOME-ONE out there is doing a little work to TRY to bring better lamps to market- WHen Surefire makes a new flashlight or LA- they are praised. When they make a $270 light with more bugs that windows98 they are forgiven by the faithfull followers... when other companies make mistakes- the Surefire fanatics start bashing all over them- why? this isn't fair...

the "because surefire did it first" arguement doesn't work eithor.... the idea of using batteries, regardless of their type, and a bulb, and a reflector, and a tube, and a switch, is all common knowledge. Surefire didn't invent the lightbulb, or the LED, or the battery, or the switch... The same arguement could be made that they are taking advantage of those prior inventions that costed someone else huge R&D to develop..

[edit in] forgot to mention- that Surefires warrenty and service is outstanding in comparison to other manufactures- the fact that they will often send replacement lamps when they blow "prematurly" is a testiment to their good customer relations.. Thet did this for me and I am very pleased... so there is definetally a point to be made there that i DO agree with... just comes at a price..

[edit in again] pointing the "snake oil tactics" finger... while surefire continues to push the use of it's CR123s, in lights that burn through entire sets of them in 20 minuts flat, is kindof hypocritical... It's very obvious to me that Surefire is perposly not encorperating li-ion rechargability into their line to draw out the number of primaries they can sell... Seems like a snake oily battery tactic to me... digilight is actually offering some li-ion versions of their lights..

Last edited:

NAW

Enlightened
Paladin said:
If little things like "o-ring retained bulbs which are not fixed in the ideal position like Surefire lamps" don't bother you

In my opinion this is a good thing. For one my old P60 ( which I no longer have)
had a off centered beam. I just got myself a DRB-9VHP and it is awesome. It burns white compared to my surefire lamp assembly and I can focus the beam. I set it to a very bright hot spot.

I have to say Surefire has some nice products. And Digilight also has nice products. Some surefires are better than Digilights, and some Digilight products are better than Surefires.

I for one had run into problems with Surefire products. I had to give up my U2 because I went through 5 broken tailcaps. So far I never run into any problems with Digilight.

-NAW has spoken

mdocod

Flashaholic
ok... different responce for a different angle...

in more direct regards to the original question: digilight flashlights are essencially rebadged G&P lights that can be bought for less through ebay and other airsoft equipment sellers... If you are in the market for a cheaper-than-surefire alternative, I'd suggest against paying the digilight premium for a china rebadged flashlight....

if you can get ahold of a DRB-HP LA from digilight that has the magical pixy dust in it- then you can use it many other flashlights that support that lamp type, and get outstanding lumen/watt performance... Take the lumen ratings with a grain of salt- there seems to be major variations from one lamp to the next.. some of them perform nearly as well as a Surefire P91 while consuming only a few watts, others perform worse than a Surefire P90 and use just as much power...

spoonrobot

Enlightened
mdocod said:
It's nice to know SOME-ONE out there is doing a little work to TRY to bring better lamps to market-

Wolf-Eyes and Pentagonlight have done a much much better job than Digilight has of bringing better lamps to the market.

Digilight's product line makes me feel all warm and fuzzy, or whatever.

Longbow

Enlightened
Digilight vends an exellent product. Their warrantee far surpasses Surfire. I had a problem with a T6 switch, an e-mail and three days later I recieved two replacent switches, and a new XB1000 flashlight at no charge!!!!

BTW, my T6 (rebadged China light??), is one of the highest quality lights in my collection, surpassing many of my Surefires.:twothumbs

Paladin

Enlightened
Longbow said:
. Their warrantee far surpasses Surfire.
:twothumbs

Only if you can convince yourself that a 5 year limited warranty is superior to a Lifetime one! Surefire even pays for return shipping of repaired items, Digilight says customer pays BOTH ways.

I won't argue that Digilight customer service may treat some customers well. But IME when I called them, I was rebuffed and offered a chance to purchase another lamp AT MY OWN EXPENSE. If you have handled their RX-12V bezel and try claiming it superior to anything Surefire makes you are confused, or their QA varies so wildly we are talking about essentially two different items.:dedhorse:

Paladin

Longbow

Enlightened
Surefire warrantee claims often take 6 weeks to process...........rather have a Digilight warrantee, it is much less stressful!!!:grin2:

ciam

Newly Enlightened
Paladin said:
Surefire even pays for return shipping of repaired items, Digilight says customer pays BOTH ways.

With the obscene premium of a Surefire light over a comparable Digilight light, I suppose it's reasonable.

Paladin

Enlightened
ciam said:
With the obscene premium of a Surefire light over a comparable Digilight light, I suppose it's reasonable.

Since my pet peeve is their knockoff of the Surefire classic 9P, how about explaining what the obscene premium is. A Surfire D3 from LAPoliceGear.com with 10 free batteiries costs $69. I can get 9P's all day long for less. On the Digilight web site their T9 knockoff lists for $74.99. So what thought process led you to conclude that paying $5 extra cost for a knockoff makes the Surefire price "obscene"?

To the original poster, apologies for this topic drifting. Many persons motivated by cheap prices enjoy purchasing and using Digilights. Positive comments are easily found. I was disappointed when the claimed compatibility with Surefire lights turned out to be marginal. I already knew, based on over 30 years electronics experience, that Digilights runtime and lumen output CLAIMS ARE DUBIOUS.

Perhaps some Digilight onwers will post what they like about the specific models they own and use, rather than **** on my boots because I had a negative experience with their favored brand. Dissecting MY comments in a disputive manner does NOT detract from the truths of my observations and comments. I've explained what I do NOT like about Digilight. Please provide input on what is admirable about them to enlighten the original poster.

Paladin

OutdoorIdiot

Enlightened
I own a "Ledwave Z-3 Targeter."

This turns out to be a re-badged G&P flashlight. It is in essence the same as the Digilight X-9 with RX-9V range extender head:

http://www.digilightusa.com/Catalog/product-detail.asp?pid=35

Except the Digilight one seems to have a glass window now. My Ledwave has a plastic window.

While it isn't my most-used light, it is perhaps my favourite. The beam is the best of all my flashlights. Very round, smooth, and white. If I'm exploring caves or mines, it's a great light to use (yes, in addition to head torches, before anyone says!). You can be sure you are seeing patterns in the rock, and not artifacts in the beam. I find the oval beams of certain other flashlights a bit distracting for this kind of thing. All in all, the small bulb (i.e. small filament) combined with the fairly unique reflector shape works well - I think G&P deserve kudos for designing it like that.

In spite of it having a plastic window, everything else makes it a very robust light and very well made. It threads well, and the o-rings are good. It feels a very solid light.

The tailcap button is a pleasure to use - it is by far and away the best momentary button of all my lights. I find some of my other ones, such as the SF G2 or M4, a bit stiff, and the light can flicker a bit unless the button is held very firmly (the contacts are clean, btw). Something about the Z-3 targetter switch just makes it work better, though. The slightest pressure and you get a solid contact and solid output which just makes for a better experience.

My Ledwave Z-3 Targeter claimed a very modest 120 lumen output. I believe it is generally agreed that you get about 170 lumens out the front, however. I certainly feel confident of this, when comparing it to my other lights. And Digilight claim 175 from what I've just seen on the web site, which I have every reason to agree with, especially since the window is now glass.

So in summary, I haven't bought anything from Digilight, but I do have a lamp made by the same manufacturer, and with the same design as one of the lamps they sell. And I think it is excellent.

Longbow

Enlightened
Paladin, if indeed you have 30 years of experience at anything, it should have netted you the realization that hysteria doesn't prove a point. Please try to keep this thread on topic.

horizonseeker

Enlightened
not to mention the LApolicegear deal is a one-time only closeout of discontinued model sale, hardly a good example of surefire's "bang-for-the-buck" worth.

copied text from lapolicegear.com's sales page:

"Get them while they last! Surefire is no longer making this classsic model that used to sell for $105. We have the remaining stock and we are offering it to you at this new lower price. This is a one time deal. No more of these are going to be made. While supplies last."

LAPoliceGear

Newly Enlightened
Wow... I was searching "LAPoliceGear" and found all this heated discussion about a light I know nothing about...

We still have some D3 if anyone cares. about 100 left in stock.

If you are wanting a Surefire and need to lower price you can always email Sean@LAPoliceGear-com and ask for a quote. We will try to beat anyones price. We are required to advertise at full retail on our web site, however I would rather have you get a Surefire than some no-name brand.

IMO Surefire simply rocks!!!

LAPG out

Destroid Monster

Newly Enlightened
LAPoilceGear,
I tried to make a purchase last month for the D3, but was told flatly that you are out of stock....

Care to clarify?

NAW

Enlightened
I have to admit when I first got my DRB-9VHP (175 lumens) I was very

impressed. But when I got my 200 lumen surefire bulb I noticed it put out

almost 3 times the amount of light with more or less the same brightness. I

think I'm getting the impression that the 175 lumens from Digilight is probably

bulb lumens.:candle:

In other words I feel like I wasted $30 on that Digilght bulb.

nzgunnie

Enlightened
I've had good dealings with Digilight, Reggie was very helpful.

And I don't even need to type some of my reply in bold type to somehow add weight to my statement...

Led-Ed

Enlightened
I got the 9v HO head from Cabela's ,I think it is from Digilight.It's quite a bit whiter than my D3's P90-have not campared it to the P91. The window has some smudging from the factory however but overall it was worth the 22.95 + shipping that I paid for it.When it burns out It will make a nice platform for an LED mod,as the reflector is machined from a piece of aluminum and it screws on to standard SF threads.The window was plastic but who cares-it won't shatter if I hit it on a rock ,will it?