Fun with TL3 1499

Wrangler

Enlightened
Last weekend my wife, some friends and myself did a bicycle ride to a "beergarden" and watched the FIFA world cup matches.
On our way back, it was midnight already, we had to take a trail through a forest. It was really dark and the way was poorly lit by the bikelights. I was last of the group and pulled out my TL3 with 17500`s and a Carley 1499.
When I fired it up, I heard something like: "where the hell`s that damn car coming from", "what the hell happens here", and so on.
My friends were more than happy that it was only me (and my torch) who lit up the whole area with that very bright light! They wondered where I suddenly got that light from because they expected kind of bulky searchlight.
Nobody knew that I had a flashlight with me because I carry it clipped inside my pants at the back and it`s (almost) invisible that way.
The rest of the way home we did securely lit by my TL3.
No need to mention that the guys asked me where to get such a small lumenmonster. Also needless to mention that their desire for the flashlight shrunk incredibly fast, when they heard the price for all the ingredients.
In their eyes a 2D Mag is way too expensive already.

Last edited:

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good story! I will have the same setup before long and can't wait!!

mega_lumens

Enlightened
I never got to test my TL3 in a really dark open field yet, but I'm always exited about the light.

want to ask you how much did the 1499 cost you, I got AW's cells, and I don't know why I'm not getting the 1499. Can you tell me on a scale or percent wise, how brighter is the 1499 compared to the stock bulb?

Thanks

Wrangler

Enlightened
The 1499`s I got from litho123`s group buy. Price was ~ 10.- USD if I remember correctly.
The stock TL3 is a pretty good and bright flashlight but with the 17500 + 1499 combo it`s a real pleasure to use! Hard to tell the increase of output but I`d roughly guess ~ 25% !? (May be more?)
In my opinion throw might be the same but flood increases a lot.
Liked the stock TL3 a lot and love the modded one!

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to see a picture of a TL3 next to say a Mag 2C so I can get a solid idea of the size.

also, how much runtime do you get on the TL3/1499 combo?

Is the 1499 potted or bi-pin?

Curtis

Wrangler

Enlightened
cue003 said:
I would like to see a picture of a TL3 next to say a Mag 2C so I can get a solid idea of the size.

also, how much runtime do you get on the TL3/1499 combo?

Is the 1499 potted or bi-pin?

Curtis

Hi Curtis,

The TL3 is much smaller than a Mag 2C. It`s only 6.18" (15,7 cm).
The 1499 is bi-pin. Runtime not yet tested but have ~ 30 min on it and still pretty bright!

Cheers,
Wolfgang