Move over Golston, for the Champion of Champions!

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
As funny as the crazy wattage is, it does have a V bin K2. Has anyone on this site received a K2 of that bin?

FirstDsent

Enlightened
Since Lumileds is dragging their feet on the K2, it is entirely possible that the Chinese have already counterfeited it, perfected it, and released their best bins (unlike Lumileds). It won't surprise me at all if they are making brighter "K2" emitters than Lumileds.

Lumileds: put up or shut up!

Bernie

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I second that, taiji---pls. post your impressions after you try this one out.

I wonder why they tout their 3.0v rechargeable cells in connection with this light, when it appears to be OK with 3.6v rechargeables?

BTW, I can get to the light fine by going through your link, taiji, but when I start at the home page for FifthUnit, I can't find the light. How'd you get there? UPDATE: It's now featured on home page, under "Summer Day Specials".

Thanks for finding what may be a very nice bang-for-the buck torch!

Last edited:

TornadoKat

Newly Enlightened
I think we all would like to know how reliable a dealer this fifthunit is... anyone have feedback on purchasing from them? Or have a missed a thread elsewhere about them?

Did you see that phone line powered LED lamp? LOL

[Edit] I just looked again and must say I am dumbfounded by the honesty of the reviews they give their own products. They admit flaws, shortcomings, quirks, etc...

Last edited:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
taiji said:
I just ordered one similar to this at fifthunit.com. It does not state K2 anywhere in the description but is identical. The price is way better.

http://contents.fifthunit.com/html/products.5th/sku.825.html

The one in the fifthunit link actually states Luxeon III. The lights do appear to be the same except for the ebay K2 light says "Powered by Lumileds" on the light and this one says "Luxeon LED USA".

batvette

Newly Enlightened
Unless I'm missing something here that link to fifthunit isn't the same torch at all, it specifically states it is a "Phillips Lumileds III" with "up to 100 lumens" (entirely possible if you have 6-8.4 volts to feed a top bin luxeon III or so I'm told, looks like Barbolight is getting what looks like 500 honest lumens out of the 4 in his U-15) and our Champion of Champions is clearly claiming K2 emitters....

"enlighten me".....

batvette

Newly Enlightened
Yeah their housings look the same but that doesn't mean a whole lot, they could be independent electronics production houses buying their housings from a common machinist/mfr, or even just ripping each other's housing designs off.

The situation on cloning successful lights reminds me of postwar Japan and binoculars. For awhile I got into collecting vintage binoculars off ebay, specifically generic 7x50's and the little Nikon 6x15 mini knockoffs that were made into 8x20, 10x25 and a multitude of strange combinations by perhaps a dozen or more factories all using what appeared to be the same prism body assembly, but they aren't. They all just ripped off Nikon's 40 year old design in their own way, some were of amazing quality, some lesser.
Buying binocs off ebay is a crapshoot of the worst kind, BTW, with "collimation" being the snake eyes.

Amonra

Enlightened
FirstDsent said:
Since Lumileds is dragging their feet on the K2, it is entirely possible that the Chinese have already counterfeited it, perfected it, and released their best bins (unlike Lumileds). It won't surprise me at all if they are making brighter "K2" emitters than Lumileds.

Lumileds: put up or shut up!

Bernie

Well the Chinese have playing with K2's for quite a while now so it's quite probable that they have already copied them. last February i was at an exhibition in Germany. There was a Chinese manufacturer ( probably the one that makes Nuwai and Aurora lights ) that already had a finished head light with a K2 LED inside. this particular manufacturer does not use copies and he did say that they had supply problems from Lumileds. but now that they have been released we should be expecting Chinese made K2 lights pretty soon.

taiji

Enlightened
AFAustin said:
I second that, taiji---pls. post your impressions after you try this one out.

Will do(?)!
So far response from Fifthunit has been positive. I have two separate orders with them and each one was followed by a very prompt and courteous emails. I will post my impressions of the lights in the reviews thread. Besides this 8 watt light, I have the smaller 6 watt light coming as well.

stjohnh

Newly Enlightened
I've ordered from fifthunit 3 times, no problems w any of the orders.

Holland