Beamspot photos of some lights

Delvance

Enlightened
I've managed to take some beamspot photos of most of the lights i own and hopefully this thread will help people decide on what to get or not to get. The photos emphasise close/medium range target ID and usability of the hotspot (or attempts to anyways ;)). You'll notice the "beamspots" don't really show the sidespill of most of the lights, rather, it attemps to show the intensity of the hotspot that my eyes see in real life. All the groups minus "A" came out fairly well in that looking over them on the computer, i can say they are quite near to what i saw in real life. However, they all do lean slightly to dimmer in photos.

I've done the photos in groups, where a group of similar powered lights all had shots taken at a set shutter speed. I've tried to adjust the shutter speed so that the hotspot of each light comes out accurately, this has however killed sidespill in the photos.

I'll probably do another run tomorrow night but showing sidespill on trees etc instead of hotspot ID like this run.

Hope i posted this in the right place, mods please move to right place if it is inappropriate.

The target in all photos is a chair against a brown metal fence. Distance to camera and torches approximately 10 yards.

Group A @ 0.3s shutter speed. (This group is darker in photos than real life)

"Humvee" Safelight, new battery
PAlight.JPG

Inova X1, new Duracell alkaline
Inova%20X1.JPG

Group B @ 1/6s shutter speed

Fenix L2P head with L1P body, 90% 2400mAh NiMH
L1P.JPG

Fenix L2P, in regulation
L2P.JPG

Inova X0, in regulation
Inova%20X0.JPG

PT Apex 5mm LEDs high, in regulation
PT%20Apex%205mm.JPG

Group C @ 1/8s shutter speed.

Orb Raw 3W T bin, 95% cell
Raw.JPG

Inova T3, in regulation
T3.JPG

Pelican M6 2390, in regulation
PM6%203W.JPG

Emil MB3W, 95% cell
MB3W.JPG

PT Apex 3W LED high, in regulation
PT%20Apex.JPG

Group D @ 1/10 shutter speed

Surefire A2 (with modded 40K LEDs, sanded), in regulation
A2.JPG

Pelican M6 lithium with green tined UCL, ~65% cells =/
PM6%20lith.JPG

Surefire G2 with G&P G90 low pressure, blue tinted UCL and 2 R123s, 100% cells
G2.JPG

Surefire 6P with DRB-9V HP (@1.2A), green tinted UCL and 2 R123s, 100% cells
6P.JPG

Elektrolumens Tri Star Phazer with 4 Titanium 4500mAh C NiMHs, 85% cells
TSP.JPG

Group E @ 1/20s shutter speed

2D ROP, CBP1650s, Modamag holder, fixed switch, Litho123 LOP, Hi bulb, green tinted UCL, 95% cells
2D%20ROP.JPG

3D ROP, 2S2P 18650 LIons, fixed switch, Litho123 LOP, Hi bulb, green tinted UCL, 80% cells
3D%20ROP.JPG

Group F @ 1/40s shutter speed

RS623, 13 GP2000, Osram 64623, LOP, KIU bipin, 95% cells
RS623.JPG

Amondotech Illuminator 35W HID, in regulation
AI.JPG

Amondotech Illuminator 35W HID @ 1/80s shutter speed to show hotspot better, in regulation
AI%20Beamshow.JPG

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the most enjoyable beamshot presentations I've seen.

Almost like a progression of the anatomy of a lumen junkie.

That optimized 2D ROP is an attention getter then that 3D 2S2P LIon ROP roars. SuperROP?

Mag623 makes the automatic Mr. Coffee maker start dripping because it thinks it's sunrise.

And just to bring it all home a focused 35 watt HID speaks up.

Excellent, just excellent, Delvance.

Delvance

Enlightened
Thanks alot peeps :). Had fun doing that last night!

Icebreak,
You're quite right, i am a bit of a lumen/throw junkie lol. Most of my purchases/builds have progressed from higher to higher output and throw lol.

iNDiGLo,
You're going to have to get your hands dirty and build it ;). Really though, it's quite a simple build and takes little time. BTW, good job on sanding the LEDs on the A2, very smooth beam...it's my new EDC.

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the tinting on the UCL lenses (blue and/or green) provide any benefits?

Curtis

Delvance

Enlightened
Older style UCLs had the green tinting. All the new UCLs are now blue tinting and provide slightly higher light transmittance. I think it's 0.5%-1% more...it's nothing to be worried about but i thought i'd just include what components the light was built with.

Actually...well the blue tinting does look nicer lol.

Haz

Enlightened
Great beamshots Delvance, the RS623, 13 GP2000, Osram 64623, LOP, KIU bipin really help paint the picture of the surrounding environment.

missionaryman

Enlightened
excellent work Delvance, the more beamshots the merrier!
I was trying to remember the bulb I used when I was building a test mule basically the same as the RS623 - it's a Sylvania 90w 12v 4000hr with an axial filament, 1850 lumens. The lumens were lower but you could easily drive it where the 64623 is with probably even another cell. I gotit for $10 from a Mitre 10 store: it's the Sylvania 58684 or the Osram 64458S I think they are the same as the IRC. When I tested these after the 64623 the small definate hot spot and increased throw were really nice. I couldn't tell a difference in brightness really

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
I know this one is old, but I just have to give props to delvance for this thread!! Also, Opeth kicks ***.

Lol, that last picture--you KNOW a light is bright when it throws a reflection off of CLOTH.

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the pics DV. Long time no post. How you been doin?

Love the output of the RS623, 13 GP2000, Osram 64623, LOP, KIU bipin.
Don't suppose you could post a pic of all of the lights together named? I am not familiar with all of them.

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
Indiglo, you could try sending ccmaclel or Mad_Maxabeam a PM - they make some pretty stunning 100w lights. ccmaclel's is called "The Torch" and MadMax's is called the Mag623. Both are incredible lights. =)

Delvance, this is a *great set of beamshots - thanks! You've got me drooling over the G&P 90 amd DRB-9V HP bulbs now. I can already feel my wallet getting lighter...

- FITP