Identifying Wolf Eyes Bulbs

wedgehead30

Newly Enlightened
Paul_in_Maryland said:
And make sure that your Wolf Eyes lamp has a short hyphen between the D and the 36, to ensure that it's the 2006 model (higher output, longer throw).

The quote is from a different thread that I didn't want to hijack. I'm confused on this whole short hypen or long hypen subject. I'm not trying to start a fight but I recently recieved two new WE bulbs from Mike at Pacific Tactical. One was a long hypen 6v and the other a short hyphen 9v. The 9v performs great but the 6v was pretty disappointing. I did a little reading on the forum and came across the hyphen identifier. Does this apply only to specific models of WE bulbs and not my D26? I e-mailed Mike about it and asked him if I had received and older model bulb. He response, "The old bulbs were purged from our inventory 7 months ago. The hyphen thing in not true, the difference in the hyphen depends on which printer they used." So now I'm at a loss to explain the poor performance of the 6volt bulb. It is yellow and about equal to my P60. Two fresh Surefire batteries in a G2 Nitrolon. Any ideas ? or did I just get a "Friday" bulb ie a dud???????

Wedge
:huh2:

Mike@PTS

Enlightened
Hey Wedge,
You could have possibly received a dud. We will send another out today with some Energizers so you can compare. I'm going to also send an old bulb (if I can find one) so you can see the difference.

Yes it's about time we get this hyphen thing straitened out. Paul_in_Maryland is a good honest person and he calls it how he sees it. So there must have been a difference in the bulbs he acquired but this was purely coincidental. The only way to tell the difference is by looking at the bulb since there is a big difference between the two.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish Mike had corrected me sooner; I've posted this "how to tell" tip for months.

I have at least one each of Wolf Eyes' 3.7V and 9V, in both D26 and D36 sizes, in both pre-2006 and 2006 generations--eight different lamp assemblies. All long-hyphen lamps have the yellower, broader beam; all short-hyphen lamps deliver the whiter, tighter beam. Based on their predictable beam pattern, I inferred that the short hyphen was a reliable way to know that you received the 2006 version. If it's not, the only way to know for sure that you're getting the 2006 lamp is to buy from Mike!

And I thought only G&P lamp assemblies came in different markings...

Mike@PTS

Enlightened
Originally Posted by Paul_in_Maryland
I wish Mike had corrected me sooner; I've posted this "how to tell" tip for months.
Sorry Paul!

Here are some pictures of the old and new (latest release).

This is the old one, notice the extra glass at the top of the bulb.
6V bulb old.jpg

This is the new one with even bulb wall thickness and its shorter now.
6V bulb new.jpg

This is the original release, first in 2006 (no longer in stock)
6V bulb.jpg

wedgehead30

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys thanks for clearing this up for me and possibly a few others.

After looking at my bulb and your photos, I definitely have the new bulb. I appreciate you sending out another bulb. I'll compare the two and see what difference there is. Hopefully I just got a dud. Either way I'll send one back to you.

I feel a little less "unenlightened" now................................:lolsign:

Thanks again,

Wedge
:goodjob:

Last edited:

wedgehead30

Newly Enlightened
Hi Mike,

I received the replacement bulb, old style bulb and batteries yesterday. Thanks for sending those out. I compared the new replacement bulb to the one I had and it's noticeably brighter. The replacement has a more concentrated center spot whereas the original is more of a flood.

I also tried out the old style bulb. There's a huge difference between the new and old. The old is a weak yellow compared to the bright white light of the new.

I appreciate you sending those items out to me. I can drop whatever you want back in the mail. Let me know what to send back. I did try the batteries with the bulbs so they have a little run time on them.

Thanks again,

Scott
:goodjob: