Where to get a chunk of copper for heatsinking...:)

moses

Enlightened
Want to burn in some luxeons and need a couple chunk of copper to heatsink. Where do you guys go to get the copper sufficiently large for heatsinking?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Blessings,
Mo

Last edited:

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
if the heatsink is only for testing and is not going to be installed in a flashlight, just mount the star or emitter to a PC processor heatsink you can buy anywhere.

regards.

blahblahblah

Enlightened
If you don't want to go to your local steel/metal suppllier, you could always go to a home improvement store and look in the plumbing section for a cast copper pipe plug. Be careful however, I've seen some which are pretty low quality metal. I believe aluminum may be easier to find and it conducts quite well.

Illum

Flashaholic
moses said:
Want to burn in some luxeons and need a couple chunk of copper to heatsink. Where do you guys go to get the copper sufficiently large for heatsinking?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Blessings,
Mo

My guess is buy a CPU cooling unit with fan, thn tap two holes to mount the star
It would work...if you have two power supplies, my case I tap the fan unit's power right out of my computers power supply

moses

Enlightened
Thanks to all.

As to pennies, my guess is that they are too small to be sufficiently heatsinking high current application....

Mo

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can buy solid copper rod and flat bar from onlinemetals.com. I've had good luck with their service; prices aren't that great, but they have a good selection. One-inch wide flat bar by .125" thick runs $6.52 per foot; cut with a hacksaw and shape with a file.

If you want to get all crazy with the shape of your heatsink I would have to recommend alloy 360 brass since it's easier to work. Copper is gummy as far as metals go and will grab your tools; very difficult to tap too. 360 is a pleasure to work but is leaded so you have to be careful not to generate flying dust.

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
pick up some 2" 1/8" thick aluminium bar stock from Lowes or Home Depot. A 6" long piece will provide sufficient heat sinking for a Lux III at 700mA.

RPM

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are unsuccessful in finding what you want, send me a PM, I have a bunch of scrap copper around the shop.

Illum

Flashaholic
moses said:
Thanks to all.

As to pennies, my guess is that they are too small to be sufficiently heatsinking high current application....

Mo

one pennie will cook your luxeon...

go to a bank and exchange $1 for two rolls of pennies...then stack them in parallel and put the emitter in the middle...make sure you clamp them well...

keep the pennys in the paper roll so clamping doesnt squeeze them all over the place.

edit:
make that three rolls of pennies

Last edited:

leduk

Enlightened
Thermalright SLK-800 heat sink? or SLK-700
It can cope with the 45W of an Athlon so a few watts from a lux should be OK. Should be out there cheap/2nd hand.

I've seen older copper based coolers for Socket 7 CPUs too.

In the UK they're clearing SLK-700s for £5.00 ($8)

Cheers

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an old damaged HIGH power CO2 mirror. It is solid copper, and has a polished surface. I say damaged because it was dropped and has a few dings in it and will NOT work for laser uses. I was thinking of using it myself as a heatsink as the polished side is FLAT and would be perfect for mounting LUX's. It is about 76mm in diameter and about 15mm thick. I would be happy to sent it to you for a few bucks + postage. PM me if interested...

Jeff

moses

Enlightened
THANKS RPM! Much appreciated!!!

Blessings,
Mo

ps: And refusing my repeated offer of payment...:)

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
WildRice said:
I have an old damaged HIGH power CO2 mirror. It is solid copper, and has a polished surface. I say damaged because it was dropped and has a few dings in it and will NOT work for laser uses. I was thinking of using it myself as a heatsink as the polished side is FLAT and would be perfect for mounting LUX's. It is about 76mm in diameter and about 15mm thick. I would be happy to sent it to you for a few bucks + postage. PM me if interested...

Jeff

Rice - I'm also in SE mI - PM me - I'
m interested in using this as a heatsink for a quad lux application......

Luna

Enlightened
You can cheat by crushing some largeer diameter copper tubing. I've even used it as a high current connector in some high current applications.(crush the ends and drill a hole in the flat for use as a lug)

Brocken

Newly Enlightened
the local scrap yards would be a good place to look. the one near me just got in bars of copper 2" thick, 8" wide and 18 to 24" long, solid copper, only $2 per pound. You could machine whole lights out of them. they also had large blocks of aluminum and magnesium for cheap....

Dave

moses

Enlightened
Gosh,

Forgot to Thank RPM. The copper actually arrived last Friday but sat in the car and I totally forgot about them until today when things slowed down a bit.

Anyways, this is the best packed item I've ever received from a CPF member. Individually heavy tissue wrapped and then bubble wrapped and then strapped around the box with industrial strength tape. Then sent via Priority with shipping confirmation. And the copper plates are immaculate and seriously heavy for heatsinking. Took me 5 minutes just to get the box open.

All this and steadfastly refusing payment. TWO thumbs up and sincere gratitude!! These will last me my kids lifetime....:)

Blessings,
Mo