anybody tried serial to usb convertor`s

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
TinderBox (UK) said:
anybody know if they work.

I want to run a belkin serial ups on usb.

thanks.

On a Mac I've set up a Keyspan converter to get a Mac point-of-sale package to open a serial-based cash drawer. It worked fine. Gotta load the drivers so you can pretend there's a modem (serial) port, of course, so it's not plug & play.

I'd expect the same functionality on the Windows side. This one's probably what you're thinking of?

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
They're certainly more affordable from eBay!!!

I do have one - but haven't tried it yet...it's in my "just in case" adapter kit.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use one for my VX-7R and it worked seamlessly out of the box.
Others have not been so lucky.
My guess is that with the ebay ones there are a lot of failures and that's why the device is a buck and the shipping is $10.00.
I'd ask Belkin first.

gorn

Enlightened
I've had one for several years. I bought it to use one of my GPS units with a mapping program. Since then I've used it for a radio scanner PC interface connection. I have never had a problem with it. I have one scanner program that specifically says they won't work with a converter, but it in fact does.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one... pretty old in computer terms, I think I bought it 4 years ago, a "no name" brand out of Taiwan.

Only used it once, with an even older Lowrance GPS. It worked OK, although I had to install the adapter driver twice to get it to work.... Definitely wasn't plug and play.

Brlux

Enlightened
I have 2 of them. One is an IOGear brand and I use it all the time with my GPS and for programing Basic Stamp modules. The second is a Belkin and I have never been able to get it to work. I think it may be desined to only work with Palm Pilot hot sinc cradels.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one of those old Palm Brand USB/RS232 sync converters too... I can get it to work with my Garmin SPIII GPS (9600 baud IIRC), but I first had to set it up with my old Palm Vx. Once I did that, then it talked with the Garmin.

-Bill

changsn

Newly Enlightened
I got one off ebay also and it works for my gps, but not for my digital camera...

Fortunately, I can download the pics straight off the flash memory.

Sam

was_jlh

Enlightened
i've used a belkin usb->serial adapter for a couple of years, works great