got my u2

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, i was planning on special ordering a new u2, but it wouldnt have come in time for my camping trip, so i just bought the old one they had there.... A08703

Build:

the first thing i noticed was the very nice grip. It is very tough, and the clip seems very sturdy. Mine is very dark black and has no color mismatch at all. Once you lift the prongs on the switch, it seems to be very reliable.

Beam:

first off, i have a very large donut in my u2 it shows very noticably on all stages.... on the lower stages you can see it from close, but at the higher stages, i would have to stand ten feet from the wall to see it. Low is not low enough, but the runtime is good enough. AS FOR OUTPUT.... TONIGHT WE WILL SEE :)

overall:

The six stages are great. The clicky feels great. It seems to put out a lot of light, but the donut takes a way from throw. It is a great light, and seems very reliable. DONT SEND YOUR SWITCH BACK TO SUREFIRE UNTIL YOU'VE LIFTED THE TABS! It works wonderfully now.

beamshots to come... runtime maybe :)

-David

Last edited:

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Congrats on your U2, David! I know you've been considering one for quite some time!

Call SF to get a new switch - it took less than a week to get it to Chicago when I bought my first U2 (I just got my third last night - the other two have been returned for... well, because they're U2's), and the replacement worked perfectly. And if you really want one faster, I can overnight the replacement one I got for my first U2 (which I returned with the bad clickie), if you pay for the shipping... let me know!

I'd be interested in seeing your runtime too!

My new one has a really noticeable donut as well, but I'm holding onto it to test runtime, and if it pasts that test, I'm keeping it!

greenLED

Flashaholic
lift the metal tabs inside the switch and you're ready to go.

what'd you compare it with that it doesn't seem "that" bright?

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
metal tabs??? Which ones?

OK, PLEASE EXPLAIN WHAT THE PROBLEM IS... I PUT THE U2 TAILCAP ON A G2 WITH KL3 AND IT WORKED PERFECTLY THROUGHOUT AT LEAST 50 CLICKS. Is it a contact issue with the battery tube or what?

it is hard to tell how bright it is considering it is day time, but come tonight, beamshots will tell the tale.

would replacing the LED help with the donut? i am not replacing this light, it is 18650 compatible, and i wont let that opportunity pass.

i will add onto the review later on tonight with addional comments and pictures.

-David

greenLED

Flashaholic
David, take the tailcap off the U2 and look around the spring inside the tailcap. You'll see 3 (or maybe 4) little metal tabs. With a toothpick or a fine-tipped screwdriver, bend those tabs upwards just a *little bit*. If it's a contact problem, that should do it for ya.

For getting rid of the donut, you'll have to open the head and shim the reflector/Lux. Not something I'm eager to do, even with the donut in my U2.

The reason I asked about the brightness of the light is because when I used an L4 during the day I wasn't impressed at all... come night... and... :eek:

Have fun, it is a neat light.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks man, it works PERFECTLY. This is great! You are so right ... testing lights in the day will give you a bad impression of the light. TONIGHT we shall see.... btw, i think i will try to fix the donut by "shimmying" the reflector, because the tint on mine is great.... one of these days.

-David

greenLED

Flashaholic
cheapo said:
... i think i will try to fix the donut by "shimmying" the reflector
You're welcome. Whenever you're ready, this thread has instructions and pics on the U2 anatomy and how to fix other problems. I can't remember how the shimming actually works.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
if i take out the plastic tube, can i put it back in?

-david

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
just a question: how does a Pila 168s differ from a 18650? Which would give better runtime on u2?

-David

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
cheapo said:
just a question: how does a Pila 168s differ from a 18650? Which would give better runtime on u2?

-David

I believe they are physically different sized batteries. I'm 90% positive the 168S will match up with the 17650 sized lithium. The better runtime depends on the "mah" of the batteries.

NAW

Enlightened
cheapo said:
seems very sturdy. Mine is very dark black and has no color mismatch at all.

Actually if you were to shine a incandescent on it then you will see that some parts of the light turn purple. Any way I hope you like your light. I don't have my U2 anymore because I went through 5 tailcaps in 2 months so I had to return it.

Flyhigh

Newly Enlightened
jch79 said:
Congrats on your U2, David! I know you've been considering one for quite some time!

Call SF to get a new switch - it took less than a week to get it to Chicago when I bought my first U2 (I just got my third last night - the other two have been returned for... well, because they're U2's), and the replacement worked perfectly. QUOTE]

jch79: How long did you have to wait for your replacement U2? I'm curious because I've been waiting four weeks now. I live in Sweden so I'll have to wait a bit longer, I'm just wondering how much longer.
:popcorn:

Robban

Enlightened
greenLED said:
The reason I asked about the brightness of the light is because when I used an L4 during the day I wasn't impressed at all... come night... and... :eek:
That was my exact experience. Got it during the day and of course ripped it out of the package, turned it on and... "what, that's all? I payed THAT for THIS!?" Then I went out into the woods at night and ..."holy poop! *big stupid grin on face*"

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
cheapo said:
anyone have a runtime chart on a 18650? the 168s is 1400mah, and it has this runtime:

http://www.obaq.tv/cpf/images/U2_Lv6_Runtime.png

-David

David: check out cones site. Just google cones and U2 and you should find it.
I think it has runtimes with a 2200mAh 18650 on the 3 highest levels.

The good 18650s give better runtimes than cr123s on the higher levels!

Enjoy your U2, and don't let the doughnut spoil your fun. It usually isn't an issue away from the white walls;)

PS! I think 4-sevens is selling LG 2400mAh 18650s very cheaply at the moment. These are the best you can get at the moment.

Last edited:

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
Robban said:
That was my exact experience. Got it during the day and of course ripped it out of the package, turned it on and... "what, that's all? I payed THAT for THIS!?" Then I went out into the woods at night and ..."holy poop! *big stupid grin on face*"

haha, i think LED's tend to have effect because of the band of light they put out. That happened when i first got my elektrolumens pentalux. But then i took it out at night and uh... yea... you get the point.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
cheapo said:
anyone have a runtime chart on a 18650? the 168s is 1400mah, and it has this runtime:

-David
I've done some testing on mine. My results are here:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1469356&postcount=68

Keep in mind my 18650 cells are heavily used, and probably near the end of their servicable life. Even still, I'd say I'm getting about 75 minutes out of some of my better cells, while the chart you showed only gives about 50 minutes for a 168S.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Chris201W said:
I believe the only way to get the plastic tube out is by destroying it.
Nope - people are reporting success at removal by freezing it and/or dissolving the adhesive that keeps it in place.