New 6AA Holders -- THEY'RE HERE

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
New 6AA Holders -- THEY\'RE HERE

PLEASE SEE LATEST POST REGARDING PAYMENT AND SHIPPING
Received this in the mail today, holds six AA batteries in triangular format similar to SureFire M6's 6 x 123 holder. Slim enough that it literally drops into a D-sized Maglite with rattle room to boot. And just touching the end cap to the back of the Mag's tube causes the stock spring to already make contact with the end of this AA holder, even before tightening, so internal contact length will not be an issue.

It was sent as a sample from Memory Protection Devices, Inc. and could not only be used in 5W mods, but also for running a 5- or 6-cell Mag bulb in a 2D-sized flamethrower of a light on cheap AA batteries.

They are 98 cents each in minimum orders of 100. I only need a dozen (or two at the most). Any interest in a group buy?

fd149f45.jpg

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: New 6AA Holders -- THEY\'RE HERE

Charlie:

I probably will want ten of them after you tell me how you intend to make reliable positive and negative terminal contacts in a Mag when both holder terminals are at separate corners of the same end of the holder.

How do you get positive teminal nipple contact with the center of the Mag switch assembly, and how do you get negative contact with the spring at the other end?

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast

This sounds good. I'd be interested in a couple. Right now I'm working on 4AA holder thats the size of a D cell. It'll squeeze into a D cell mag, but requires some force. I guess this means it would fit just fine in one of the Mag clones since their clearance is looser...

Wait. Both battery terminals are on the same end? I'm not so sure I like this...

Mark

Brock

Flashaholic

What I am really looking for is a 3 AA to D cell converter. I mean it would hold 3 AA cells in a similar triangle configuration, but had all three in parallel so you still get 1.5v, and it would fit in place on a standard "D" cell. I have some of the single AA to D cell adapters, but they just don't last long.

In any case I am in for at least 2 if you can figure out how to get the normal positive and neg contacts so you can just drop them in any 2 D cell light.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast

Brock:

Do you want your 3AA parallel D cell converter in order to pull 1.65 amps or so out of 3 AA alkalines (0.55 A per cell) as compared to the 1.20 amps you can get with a single pushed alkaline D cell?

The maximum capacity of 3 @ AA NiMH's is no more than 2/3 the maximum capacity of a D NiMH so a rechargeable configuration seems unlikely to be your objective.

Or do you simply have better access to cheap alkaline AA's than to alkaline D's?

Tater Rocket

Enlightened

He said that it rattles, so I bet you could CA a copper contact on one end with a wire soldered to it and the positive terminal. Then make a plate for the bottom negative, insulte it from the positive one, and there ya go. It would also work with two as the plate and the copper disk from the other would touch.

I am guessing it would end up being around $6-8 by the time it is shipped to you then to me.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast

Tater:

Are you proposing to augment your allowance by modding these adapters up to full 2D length with a negative plate on the bottom that doesn't touch the sides and a centered raised positive nipple on the top?

If so, I would be willing to pay you the suggested $6 to $8 each for 4 sturdy, reliable mods. (It would be cheaper and more flexible than the $10 per pack I've paid to have a hobby shop make 5 @ slightly smaller than D-sized 3.6 V 3AA 1800 mAh NiMH battery packs.)

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

You only need an alum. plate on each end, with a wire running from the + or - contact (your choice) to the other end plate. A layer of elecrical tape or similar between the one plate and the + or - contact (depending on your previous choice) and you're set -- or, simply cut off the corner of one plate so it only contacts the chosen lead for that end. Remember, the length of the pack is already long enough that the endcap spring is slightly compressed before tightening.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast

Charlie:

Are those two depressed terminals threaded so you can screw a wire to them? If not, how is the wire to the depressed terminal connected?

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Solder, although in the past I have used 1/16th" aluminum as the endplate, and bent one of its edges over onto a wire to create the contact instead of soldering.

TOB9595

Enlightened

I'd sign up for four adapters
smile.gif

Flamethrower in 2d package

Tater Rocket

Enlightened

We need a lot more people at 4 each to reach 100. Lol, how about if we get close, everybody spend an extra $4 or so (because we'd have already paid shipping on the previous 4 and I bet there'd be room in there for another 4) and make it easier to reach 100. Come on people, I really want some of these.

Spud

PsycoBob[Q2]

Enlightened

I'm working on modding 3 4AA holders for my 3D 5w conversion, or I'd want a few of these. If I happen to find a 2D mag, I'll be interested.

Brock

Flashaholic

lemlux, it is for a bunch of reasons, most of which you figured out. I have a bunch of NiMH AA's and chargers, but no NiMH D's and no D charger. I have one CF lantern that I really like and uses a lot that uses 4 D cells I really like. I don't know if I want to get 4 Ni-MH D cells and a good charger. Also the size of a D cell charger is much larger for camping or traveling. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and get the D size Ni-MH's. In any case I have been using the single AA to D cell converter and it works pretty well, but it only last about 2.5 hours. I just have to keep another set of AA ready to go, it is much lighter using the AA/D cells
wink.gif

I also have access to used AA's and this would also be a good way to use a bunch at once.

Tater Rocket

Enlightened

If you can mod those holders easily, I'd rather have yours (but I AM buying Mr. Bulk's regardless). Come one people, with your help I'll put an MR 16 in a 2 or 3 cell mag without soldering the batteries yet.

Spud

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by MR Bulk:
They are 98 cents each in minimum orders of 100. I only need a dozen (or two at the most). Any interest in a group buy?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Charlie, I'd like 15 of them please.
cool.gif

Deviant

Enlightened

MR Bulk

I would like to have 10 of that batt adapter but would you sent to singapore?