LED MiniMags coming out in fall.

squirrel

Newly Enlightened
Are these suppose to be "re-engineered" unlike there D Cell plop in upgrade modules?

im debating upgrading my current incand minimag with a TLE5 or wait to see if minimag has some sort of better upgrade in the fall?

also debating if I should grab another minimag LED when it comes out or get a fenix L2P/T and upgrade my minimag with the TLE5 and say to heck with the fall line up up LED MiniMags?

I upgraded my D cell maglites with these modules and I dont see me buying another D cell maglite ever. I had 4 of them. that was a 80$ upgrade.
after reading around on here I came to 2 conclusions:

1. I wonder if I can send these LED upgrades back to mag lite and get my money back and if I could, now I would have incand bulbs that I would not want anymore.

2. eat it and be happy knowing it will work, batts will last longer, LED wont break like incand., its still a good flashlight to have around.

I think option 2 is ok since I dont have a bunches of them.

Last edited:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
This seems to be one of the popular internet misconceptions about returning products to the manufacturer for a refund. If you purchased them from a store, just return it back to the store for the refund. There's no reason for a manufacturer to be processing a refund unless you purchased it directly from the manufacturer and they do indeed have a refund policy.

squirrel said:
1. I wonder if I can send these LED upgrades back to mag lite and get my money back and if I could, now I would have incand bulbs that I would not want anymore.

ginaz

Enlightened
i believe the minimags will be totally redesigned, no simple drop in like the current ones. so, mod away and then compare to the new ones when they finally arrive!

Empath

Flashaholic
The last I heard, according to the scheduled release, they should be available this month or next. Where did you get your information?

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
It may have been from the MEI (action-lights.com) web site. They have the 2AA versions listed with a "Summer 2006" availability date, but the 3AA versions are listed for a "Fall 2006" availability.

Empath said:
The last I heard, according to the scheduled release, they should be available this month or next. Where did you get your information?

Mr_Light

Enlightened
I have both a TLE5 upgraded MM and several of the 2AA Ultrafires (from DAE), and the Ultrafires are WAAAAAY brighter and cheaper than the TLE5. If you need something now I would recommend the 2AA Ultrafire, otherwise wait for the redesigned MM.

squirrel

Newly Enlightened
no hurry at all.
wheres DAE?

I called maglite and they said early fall for the 2AA led lights.

brighteyez,
walmart is where I got the modules.
I wonder if they would take them back since its been about a month.

secondly, what the heck would I do the maglites cause they would then be incand.?

Last edited:

Rando

Enlightened
DAE is a CPF member. I don't know if this is the 2xAA Ultrafire mentioned above, but you can get one here. You can always make a ROP or Mag85 from the Mags. How many cells?

rider

Newly Enlightened
squirrel said:

I suppose if there's anything at all good about shopping at Walmart, it's their 90-day almost-no-questions asked return policy.

If you're not satisfied with the merchandise, they'll happily take it back.

squirrel

Newly Enlightened
2 2D cells
1 3D cell
1 4D cell

anyone have a run time on them ultrafires?
rando, them ultrafires look like fenix light spin offs.

Last edited:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
It should be on your receipt, but if it isn't, you'll find Wal*Mart's return policy prominently posted at their returns desk. You have 90 days to return them; if you don't have a receipt, they will only issue you a credit on one of their cards.

I'm not sure I understand about the incandescent Mags. Last I heard, the use of incandecent bulbs has not been outlawed. If you want some decent output from a Mag though, the first thing that you should do is discard the Krypton bulbs that they come with and replace them with the Xenon Magnum Star bulbs (Home Depot has these for less than $3 each.)

squirrel said:
brighteyez,

secondly, what the heck would I do the maglites cause they would then be incand.?

greenLED

Flashaholic
squirrel said:
Are these suppose to be "re-engineered" unlike there D Cell plop in upgrade modules?
Yup, completely, from the ground up. They are keeping the design lines, but other than that, they're a completely new animal. We had a very serious discussion about the patent behind their LED designs a while back. The actual patent submission has all the details - very interesting to read (for many reasons).

TornadoKat

Newly Enlightened
Mr_Light said:
I have both a TLE5 upgraded MM and several of the 2AA Ultrafires (from DAE), and the Ultrafires are WAAAAAY brighter and cheaper than the TLE5. If you need something now I would recommend the 2AA Ultrafire, otherwise wait for the redesigned MM.

Mr_Light
I see you have Fenix L1P, L2P, Ultrafire 1AA and 2AA... how would you compare each against the other three?

Last edited:

squirrel

Newly Enlightened
greenled,

is it safe to assume that there will not be a upgrade kit for the minimags from maglite.

EDIT: I just got off the phone with maglite and they said no drop in modules for older minimags that she was aware of.

time to upgrade my my minimag to the TLE5.

Last edited:

TornadoKat

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure what all the excitement about MagLED is. Maglite is the last one out of the gate with LED, stating they took so long so they could make sure it was up to their quality, and it turns out to have a significant design flaw- overheating and dimming. Talk about a major fumble!

So when the AA comes out will it suck too? Will people start talking about how to mod it just to make it run like it should have in the first place? Will it already be beaten by these new single AA lights that companies are coming out with?

My hope is that, because they are cheaper and more readily available than the other LED drop-ins, it will cause the others to drop their prices.

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
TornadoKat said:
I'm not sure what all the excitement about MagLED is. Maglite is the last one out of the gate with LED, stating they took so long so they could make sure it was up to their quality, and it turns out to have a significant design flaw- overheating and dimming. Talk about a major fumble!

So when the AA comes out will it suck too?

Some of us really like the MiniMag form factor, me being one of those who do. I'm interested to see what Mag will come up with. It could possibly be better than some of the lights which are very popular at present.

The MagLed module does not, "...have a significant design flaw...". It was designed as it is purposely, and IMHO it's a good design. Do you know of any other light able to run ruler flat for 29 hours at a very good level of brightness on 2 D cells?

Empath

Flashaholic
TornadoKat said:
....it turns out to have a significant design flaw- overheating and dimming. Talk about a major fumble!

Then you should be prepared to explain what all the other drop-ins did to address overheating. It looks like Mag was one of the only, if not the only one, to address the heat problem.

In the Maglite, it looks like there are two ways to address the heat issue. One would be to cut the power as it heats up, and the other to use a heatsink by modifying the Maglite. If you modify the light, then it's more than a drop-in.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't you think your bashing would have more credibility if you were to actually try one of these modules? I mean one that is of the correct circuitry for whatever Mag body you might have.

Insofar as overheating, isn't that an issue with other drop-in replacements as well? Seems that the niche web vendors having been doing this for years without criticism, and often with praise. Why is it fashionable to bash Mag for doing something that addresses the heat issue when other manufacturers are praised for ignoring it? But you are right, there is a major fumble here someplace.

TornadoKat said:

So when the AA comes out will it suck too? Will people start talking about how to mod it just to make it run like it should have in the first place? Will it already be beaten by these new single AA lights that companies are coming out with?

My hope is that, because they are cheaper and more readily available than the other LED drop-ins, it will cause the others to drop their prices.

filibuster

Enlightened
I've been seeing MiniMag LED AA lights advertised for sale on various shopping sites for the past week yet I've heard no one on CPF mention they've actually bought one. [size=-1]Are these the long awaited LED version of the MiniMag or something else? They are being priced between $21 and $32 dollars. Some sites do say they are back ordered or even out of stock.

Here's what the description generally says:
[/size][font=arial, helvetica] Minimag LED AA [/font][font=arial, helvetica]Features a 6.60 in. aluminum alloy body 3 Watt LED bulb and 2 AA alkaline batteries. Comes complete with a nylon belt holster.[/font]
[size=-1]
On eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180001502138&category=16037

Other sites:
http://www.jaggerswholesale.com/servlet/the-411226/Minimag-LED-AA,-Gray/Detail

http://dadsknifeshop.com/pd_maglite_minimag_led_aa_silver.cfm

http://www.palmettoshopper.com/outlet/minimag-led-aa-red-p-5306.html
[/size]

Latest posts