New Energizer LED Penlight

thunderlight

Enlightened
I have purchased a new version of the Energizer Penlight. This newer version has a darker gray body than the previous version and the clip is held together where the top connects to the rest of the body.

The LED is extraordinarily bright compared to the previous LED. Both models used Nichia LEDs, but this appears to be a newer Nichia LED. I am impressed by the output and the fit between the top and the body is tighter due to the way the clip is held. The disadvantage, of course, is that essentially you have an extra component that is easily lost.

Nevertheless at under $5, this is a true bargain.

thunderlight

Enlightened
Hi Pellidon,

I purchased it at Walmart. I purchased the previous one, referenced in Flashlight Reviews, at Target. I assume this new model will supplant the older model in all of the stores. The packaging is essentially identical.

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
Many of the Energizer products now have a sticker on the package that says "2X brighter than previous LED". Did yours have this sticker or is it just the change in body color and clip that you mentioned?

thunderlight

Enlightened
Hi RebelXTNC,

This package definitely did not have the "2X" sticker, having seen those stickers in the past. Nevertheless, I expect that it incorporated a newer Nichia LED. The difference in brightness relative to the previous model was significant enough that it was not likely to have been due to a lottery effect or something of that nature.

Flashlike

Enlightened
Thunderlight--
I don't understand what you meant when you said "the clip is held together where the top connects to the rest of the body" and "the body is tighter due to the way the clip is held."

Also, when you said "The disadvantage, of course, is that essentially you have an extra component that is easily lost." were you referring to the clip as the "extra component that is easily lost"?

Could you possibly post a photo of it? Hopefully they will have some of these newer style penlights at my local area WM.

thunderlight

Enlightened
Hi, Flashlike,

I can't provide a picture, but this may provide an explanation.

ROUGH SCHEMATIC OF NEW PENLIGHT CLIP:

|===========>
/ \
| | <<---- HOLE AT TOP OF CLIP.
\ /
v

The threading section at the bottom of the button/switch section goes inside the hole at the top of the clip and threads into the main cylinder containing the batteries and LED. The result is that the clip is held together by pressure between the button/switch section and the main cylinder/body. Therefore, there are 3 parts, the button/switch section, the clip, and the main cylinder/body.

In the earlier model, the clip was a completely external part that could slide up and down the entire cylinder. The button/switch section and the main cylinder/body are otherwise physically identical to the previous model. Only the clip has changed as well as the darker color of the metal exterior.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried finding this light but my local Wal-Mart doesn't have them, as I wanted an easy to grab light for the vehicle placed on the CD visor without having to dig around in my pocket with a seatbelt on.

However, I looked in the fishing section and found a "pen type" light with the Winchester brand name on it. It's actualy more of a sharpie marker size than a pen and around 6 inches (Takes 3 AAA's) but it does the trick. It's marketed as a "Fishing vest light."
I still may grab an Energizer pen if/when they show up.

I do agree that these penlights are packing a bit of punch to them these days. This thing must have a Nichia in it too.

Flashlike

Enlightened
Thunderlight--

Thanks for the "schematic" drawing of the clip. I think I understand your description now.

I'll be checking this weekend to see if I can find one of the later flashlights like that, then report back on my success (or lack thereof)!

Flashlike

Enlightened
I searched at two different Wal-Marts over the weekend, but neither one had any Energizer LED penlights. They had some of the following brands: Garrity, Brinkmann, M@g, Rayovac, Optronix, and Energizer--but none of the LED penlights.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Does this new clip design make the light longer than the previous model? It already seems long enough, but for a 2X Nichia it might be worth it.

Geoff

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I saw them at WalMart tonight. Had I known that they were significantly brighter than the previous ones, I would've grabbed one. They should be mentioning this on their packaging!

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
I've seen the new-clip version (stickerless) at my two local Walmarts, and I know the last time I visited the local Target the penlights did not have a sticker but I didn't know at that point to also study the clip.
I vaguely remember when I visited the Target in a neighboring city that the penlights were one of the Energizer items that had a "Now 2x brighter" sticker, but I could be wrong since they had been recently re-stocked with many different Energizer lights that had the stickers.
When I go back I'll check more closely for the clip type and stickers.

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I also saw this light at Wal-Mart tonight however passed it up....I almost bought it to simply tear it apart and see if it had a boost circuit inside.

If it only runs at 3 volts from 2 alkalines does this mean that it would have to have a boost circuit or is it possible to drive the newer 5mm LEDs with only 3 volts??

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
When I lived in Seattle there was no Target or Wall*Mart anywhere I could get to...same thing here in Sacramento...so if somebody would send me one of these penlights for evaluation purposes I'll gladly reimburse you for the light itself and the postage to send it to zip code 95831.
Thank you ahead of time!!! :thumbsup:

thelightdude

Newly Enlightened
Just bought one for $4.94 at Walmart. It says premium Nichia technology on the package. It is slightly brighter than the silver one and exactly the same size and shape, but a grayish color. It appears to use very slightly more current that the earlier "new" model. The clip drops on - and screws on with the top and does not slide around like the previous model. It does however fall off as you remove the top of the light. Well worth the price.

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Craig, did you ever get one of these? If no let me know and I will put one in the mail to you.

Regards,
Danny

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
revolvergeek said:
Hey Craig, did you ever get one of these? If no let me know and I will put one in the mail to you.

Regards,
Danny
Hi Danny,

You're the first one to step up to the plate here...thank you!!! :thumbsup:
My address is

Craig Johnson
c/o The LED Museum
1090 Lakefront Dr., #618
Sacramento CA. 95831

This address is plastered all over the net, so I do not mind posting it here. :)

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK everybody, here are some pics to shed some light on this thing (pun intended!).

I purchased mine at Target a couple months ago and the newer model at Wal-Mart last weekend.

In the top photo, the original light is on the left and the new style is in the package (it's for a gift otherwise it would be opened!). The packages at my Wal-Mart didn't have a sticker about it being brighter, so I won't be able to tell until the gift is opened.

The second photo is a close-up of the clips. The "old" style just slips on the body and can be slid up and down and rotated. The "new" style is fixed just below the cap held in place by the cap, which IMO is a much more secure and stronger clip since it is also wider and of thicker material.

The last photo is to point out how much lower the LED sits in the end of the body of the newer style. On mine (the old style), it protrudes quite a bit, which I wasn't too happy about as it exposes it to much more damage.

In my opinion, Energizer has improved on the two concerns I had about this light when I got mine a couple of months ago.

DSCF0690acrrs.jpg

DSCF0691acrrs.jpg

DSCF0693acrrs.jpg

Last edited: