i think i'm addicted to buying...

frank828

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, found this place after deciding i wanted a nice flashlight.

This place is killing me. in the past few days of reading all sorts of things on this forum, i bought a few things.

first i ordered a surefire 6P but after learning it wasnt a LED, i canceled that order. I then impulsively bought a Surefire U2 off ebay(hopefully i dont get a bad one).

After that purchase i decided i'll probably need some batteries to go with it.
So my uneducated self decided that rechargeable batteries sound good so i purchased 6 RCR123's(yeah i know...) and about 50 cr123's with a pelican case. Then after reading about the crazy exploding batteries, i also bought ZFT(or something) tester.

Luckily(if u wanna call it that), i continued reading and found out the RCR123s are gonna give me way too many volts and wont be able to work on the U2. I kept going through the forum and saw the dummy 123 cells that i believe will let me use one RCR123 in the U2.

Through continued boredom, i continued going through these forums and figured i needed a more compact light to replace my worn out inova keychain light. I found that the Fenix L0P looked adequate as a replacement(i dont mind the slight added bulk). During the L0P discovery i also saw how great the Fenix P1 is also and realized i could use all those RCR123 cells i bought in the thing. Then through checking out the fenix-store site, i figured i really like how the L1R looked(i also like the jet-i) so i went ahead and added the L2R+L1R kit.

BTW, u guys will probably think im crazy but i havent even recieved any of the lights yet as i had just recently purchased ALL of this online in the last couple days. HAHAHA

U guys might wanna keep an eye out in the B/S/T forum for me if i decide this hobby isnt for me hahaha.

Damn....am i the only crazy one here? :whistle:

leeleefocus

Newly Enlightened
That is some pretty crazy buying but i think you may find that quite a few CPFers have gone through the same so welcome to the party :naughty:

tdurand

Enlightened
My word of advice is to try to buy lights that have ever-so-slightly longer lengths. That way when you take a "group photo" of them they have that nice (*****sweeps supine hand across body in smooth motion*******) gentle gradient that looks so nice.

T

frank828

Newly Enlightened
tdurand said:
My word of advice is to try to buy lights that have ever-so-slightly longer lengths. That way when you take a "group photo" of them they have that nice (*****sweeps supine hand across body in smooth motion*******) gentle gradient that looks so nice.

T

lol, kinda like cell phone bars?

i cant wait till my FIRST light come in! haha

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lights' arrival will calm the itch for a while (..you'll be carrying one in your hand while walking around in broad daylight...), but of course, then the itch will come back.

Tell yourself (wife?) that it's better than owning a boat...

frank828

Newly Enlightened
luckily no wife yet i supposed(after reading all your stories).

All these lights(and a knife i bought) hopefully will motivate me to get out and do more hiking and bungee jumping(u should all try it, its great).

cd-card-biz

Enlightened
nerdgineer said:
(..you'll be carrying one in your hand while walking around in broad daylight...),.

That would be totally funny...except that I have really been doing it! And, I have been leaving most of the house lights off at night, just so I can use my latest light. My wife thinks this is "interesting".

I think I'm in the final stages....so young too.

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi frank828, and welcome to the wild wild CPF. First of all, you came out of the gate way too fast. You need to start off slow and learn as you go. If you don't, you could burn out your bank account in a hurry.

There is so much information on this forum that it boggles the mind. Just about anything you can think of has been tried or done by someone here.

So feel free to browse around and ask away, and try to pace yourself.:)

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a few months ago I was happy to be playing in the woods after dark with an LEDBeam. Then I got the Wolf Eyes M90X. Then the M100X turbo head. Then the 13v extender. Then my first Surefire. Then...

Oh gawd.

I think I am set now for a few months... But I know this disease is terminal. My wife and her handbags, me and my cars and lights. Sigh.

:dedhorse:

hburner

Enlightened
Yes, this "hobby" only gets better, or worse, just depends on how you look at it!! But it sure enough does not get cheaper!

dragoman

Enlightened
Its okay, take a deep breath........looks like you haven't gotten it too bad yet.

After all, I didn't see any McLux's or anything in that list.......you probably haven't spent over 300 on a light yet....there may still be hope.

Of course, you must stay away from Lasers.....I can see what a Spyder would do to you right now, and you really don't care if you can be visible a 100 miles away anyway, right?

Just calm down, you will get through it.....unless you decide to start collecting. That is the real sign that you are doomed.

Cancel your paypal account, cut up your credit cards, burn your computer right now if you don't want to continue......trust me. :)

dragoman

:paypal: damn, how did that happen again ;)

Tightgroup

Newly Enlightened
My advice would be to get a 2nd job, this will help you pay for your upcoming titanium habit, which we all seem to develop within a few months of finding CPF!:naughty:

frank828

Newly Enlightened
oh man u guys are killin me. i dont even know what that Mcstuff is! And collecting stuff sounds fun too....

This place is horrible!

and what the heck is this Indium thing i keep seeing on the top of the page!

oh man, that new mil-spec Surefire with all the different color LEDs looks really cool too....

ok...i gotta stop reading till i get my lights.

KDOG3, nope i havent received the U2 yet, i expect it any day now tho.

Big Bob

Newly Enlightened
Welcome! No wife yet is a real bonus. When you eventually do marry, make sure that she knows up-front that she's getting a flashaholic for a husband. As the lights keep rolling in (as they inevitably will), you simply say "You knew what I was when you married me." Jeez, I wish I could that.

Illum

Flashaholic
look around in the forum...you;ll soon realize all of us were infected by this epidemic...we're once just like you...

welcome to...the real world

heres an example
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/124064

there is no excape, resistance is futile [except >1 ohm]

best advice...watch the lights as would watching stocks...you dont go by whats hot but go by which has its rates the highest after an extended period of time...

as your spending progresses, the money pressure will eventually cut into your emotional stress leading to psychological fatigue...

Buy lights that suits your needs, if everyone says the U2 is the best, that just gives you an open option to fit into your needs.

if you buy every single light thats rated best on this forum...your collection will be somewhere between Quickbeam's and The_led_museums..

Quickbeam: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews_index/reviews_by_mfgrs.htm

the LED Museum: http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/ledleft.htm

Last edited:

aryntha

Newly Enlightened
frank828 said:
oh man, that new mil-spec Surefire with all the different color LEDs looks really cool too....

There's a mil spec surefire with different color LEDs?? Where??