Cloned Collimating Optics At A Fraction Of The Cost $$

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
It will have a 35mm diameter at the large end. It will have a 10 degree beam
grin.gif
. It will cost around $1.60. It will be available in small or large quantities, to hobbiests or LS flashlight manufacturers.

Does this sound interesting?
winkie.GIF

I am working in coordination with a large manufacturer to produce and market these collimators, soon to be made available.

Sorry, no pics yet, but I'll try to get more specific dimensions up when I can.

Wayne J.
www.elektrolumens.com

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by ElektroLumens:
It will have a 33mm diameter at the large end. It will have a 10 degree beam
grin.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Wayne, have you seen these? And won't the size pretty much rule out usage in an AA size light?

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Slick:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by ElektroLumens:
It will have a 33mm diameter at the large end. It will have a 10 degree beam
grin.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Wayne, have you seen these? And won't the size pretty much rule out usage in an AA size light?</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Collimators for AA flashlights exist already.

Wayne J.
www.elektrolumens.com

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Tater Rocket:
Does 33 mm happen to corrospond to anything in particular? Did you happen to size it the exact size of a certain flashlight or what?

What degree angle is the current luxeon optics?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The size will actually be 35mm. The size is such that a flashlight head for a larger flashlight can be designed to hold the collimator, thus illiminating the need for a collimator holder. It also illiminates the need for a clear lens.

There are several applications it is designed for, not all of which are flashlights.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the current collimator from lumileds produces a 10 degree beam.

We could design a 6 degree beam, but that seems somewhat too narrow. We also could produce a collimator the same size as the current optics from Lumileds, but opted not to.

Wayne J.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
>>>We could design a 6 degree beam, but that seems somewhat too narrow<<<
If you make it, I will buy it. It sounds nice to me.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Collimators for AA flashlights exist already.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">True, I was asking from the perspective of whether or not this new collimator is intended to be an improvement (hence a replacement) over existing designs (NX05's) or if there was another application that it has been taylored for..

Since it sounds like you're spearheading the production of these, are they being built to address installation in a specific product or flashlight design (like your Blaster)?

EDIT - You posted my answer right before I posted, thanks. The price sonds good. I'll look into them when you get some ready.

Tater Rocket

Enlightened
I sure wouldn't mind a 6 degree or 10 degree the size of current optics (as I can't exactly make my own heads for flashlights). I will take one the size it is now, but I don't have a clue what I would do with it as I don't think I have any LS suitable lights that would fit such an optic.

Spud

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Slick:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by ElektroLumens:
Collimators for AA flashlights exist already.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">True, I was asking from the perspective of whether or not this new collimator is intended to be an improvement (hence a replacement) over existing designs (NX05's) or if there was another application that it has been taylored for..

Since it sounds like you're spearheading the production of these, are they being built to address installation in a specific product or flashlight design (like your Blaster)?

EDIT - You posted my answer right before I posted, thanks. The price sonds good. I'll look into them when you get some ready.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">This optics would fit into the Blaster. It also has some domestic applications which it is being designed for.

It is not intended to be a replacement of the LXHL-NX05 optics. That is possible, though.

The problem with the LXHL-NX05 optics is that you also need the optics holder, unless you use a flashlight like the Brinkmann 3AA, which happens to fit up with the collimator. A lot of added expense here. Or you can purchase the LXHL-NW98, which already has the optics and holder and heat sink.

It's pretty difficult to make a 'one size fits all' collimator.
icon3.gif

I'm already thinking of ways to fit it into the C and D cell Mag Lite head, and the Brinkmann, and others.
grin.gif

Wayne J.
www.elektrolumens.com

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the current collimator from lumileds produces a 15 degree beam. The older optics were 20 degrees. The degree of the beam differs with the new optics, depending on whether you use a batwing or a Lambertian emitter.

Wayne J.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Wayne, I have copies of the Luxeon datasheets from the very beginning. They claimed a beam angle of 10 degrees for both the old and current optics.

Is this new optic designed by the same Italian company that has designed the other Luxeon optics? Also, does it use the same design in the regard that it combines refraction and critical angle internal reflection?

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by dat2zip:
Isn't that +/- 10 degrees beam. I'm looking at the datasheet DS23 figure 9 which shows a +/- 10 degree beam pattern.

I believe the datasheet shows a 20 degree beam or +/- 10 degree. Both mean the same thing.

Wayne
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Wayne, I'm looking at the 07/2002 version of DS23. Page 5 has a table that lists 2theta1/2 as 10 degrees and Note 6 on that page defines theta1/2 in the usual fashion, e.g., the angle off axis that the intensity falls to 1/2. The figure 9 on page 12 shows the angle off axis for 1/2 intensity to be 5 degrees which is in agreement with their table that lists 2theta1/2 [the beam angle] as 10 degrees. Am I behind the times on DS23? Is there a more current one?

CNC Dan

Enlightened
How about a set of 5. From 3 to 45 degrees.

Flood to spot. That would be great for someone designing a light.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i would really like the dcell maglite ones. also, what material will you use? will it have similar output effiencies? i am a big fan of throw, any 4 degrees, is that even possible? what kind of luxeon will it be optimised for, (lambertian, batwing, se?) sounds great wayne, the duplicate would be a nice feature if it is as durable (scratchproof) or more durable than the existing optics, and preferably longerthrowing and more effiecent.

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, how about we come back to the larger optics later. I will be using them in the Blaster one of these days. I'm looking to illiminate the cost of some of the parts, like the lens, lens retaining clip, optics holder, expensive optics, etc. etc. I just wondered how much interest there might be.

I am also looking at purchasing 1,000 collimating optics, the same size, same beam pattern and degree, as we have now. If there is any interest, I can sell some of these. Different prices for different quantities. I can get these right away.

1 - 50 $1.80/ea
50 - 500 $1.50/ea
500 - 1,000 $1.30/ea

And for small orders I can ship them USPS surface letter, with delivery confirmation, for around $1.00 to $1.50. So if you only need one, you don't need to get skinned with shipping costs.

These are identical to the optics we use now.

Any interest?

Wayne J.
www.elektrolumens.com

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doug,

Right you are about 2theta (1/2). But, isn't 80% at 20 degrees more meaningful? For me, I think I'd like to know where most of the light is. Therefore, 80% makes more sense than 50% (IMO). I'm not justifying it one way or another. When I looked at the graph it was convenient to see where it intersected some line. That turned out to be 80% each way at the 10 degree line.

My recollection is that the standard optics has been referred to as 20 degrees. Not sure why it seems to stick in my mind that particular number.