Which Flashlight should I buy? Please help me!!!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I am currently using the Mag-lite rechargeable in my car and on my belt I wear the sure-fire 9N. I am looking for a light with more blinding power, that can be used on a daily basis. I am considering the M6 assault light, but I am worried with the cost of bulbs and batteries.
Hope everyone will be willing to share their thoughts!
Thanks a lot

hmmwv

Newly Enlightened
You already have a similar set of equipmet as I do - I keep the mag in the truck (wired in) and take the 9N with me. Since you're looking for more than the 140 lm. output of the 9N, there are just a few directions you can still go (these are two of the highest output lights made)

So one option is to wait for the M10 to come out - which will supposedly be a high power / duty light combination - you could probably eliminate the mag charger with the M10 and have higher lumen output (rumored to be 500 - but not confirmed) - plus maintain rechargability.

If you want something small, bright, and "backup" sized, a 9P with the P91 lamp would povide a 200 lm. beam - really not much more than your 9N, so I'd not likely invest in something so close to what I already own.

I did buy a 12Z a while back - it has a purpose - when you absolutely, positively have to light up everything - it will do the job - but the cost in batteries and runtime makes it a seldom used piece. Even the M6, if used routinely, will eat a feast of duracell batts.

I'm looking forward to the M10 - I just wish they would release the specs on it so we can quit guessing.

Size15's

Flashaholic
It's usually me that hopes the SureFire 10X Dominator will be a 500Lu flashlight. This is my hope based on a long standing assumption that the M2000 will be the rechargeable version of the M6.

This could be complete rubbish though. 500Lu is a lot of light, and I really want a rechargeable flashlight able to output that much for atleast 20-30 minutes.

The M6 is better value than the 12PM/ZM because the 500Lu M6 is brighter and lasts far longer than the 12PM. It's bigger and larger than the 12PM, but the M6 has the MN20 250Lu beam that does indeed last for a whole hour.

If you want to get the 12P/ZM, I would go for the CombatGrip ZM version as it's easier to hold and use. The M4 Lamps can be used in the 12ZM just as the N62 can be used in the M4. This will give the 12ZM/M4 flashlights 3 Lamp Modules to choose from.

There is a very interesting flashlight in a photo posted by Windler on the SureFire.com Forum. The Flashlight below the SureFire 10X looks larger than the 8NX or 8AX, and I'm hoping it's an even brighter rechargeable flashlight...

I can't wait until after the SHOT Show!

Alastair
grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I just went to the shot show. check my web page... thats MY hand on the 10x. unbelievably neat light. 500 lumens for the large beam, 60 lumens for the small beam. push the button 1/2 and the small beam lights (i believe it was 2 hours runtime), push it all the wa and they both light for 20 min or rechargeable runtime!
it comes with a ac/dc rapid charger and spare batteries can be carried(the entire handle is the battery)
it was VERY bright. it will replace my mag-charger, and compliment my 6z and 8nx

D

**DONOTDELETE**

oops, my web page is under my profile... but here.... http://homepage.mac.com/ltalessi/PhotoAlbum4.html
i literally put my life on the line with surefire lights.... i work straight nights and had used a 6z exclusively for 8 months. i use the 8nx for general, and the 6z for high risk encounters, even though it is not as bright... the grip is irreplaceable.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

The answer to your search is the.........

"Streamlight ULTRA STINGER....."

...at 75,000 candle power with rechargeable NiCad batteries.

It uses a 10 watt bulb.

Surefire Laser Products bulb assemblies cost a fortune compared to Streamlight. Don't drop that surefire you may end up with a dead fire.

Streamlights are cheaper & tougher.

The Magcharger puts out 30,000 candle power.

Your 9N puts out no more than 25,000 to 30,000 candle power.

You want to light somebody up?

Go to a Spot light with a flood reflector.

hehehe

kb0rrg

Enlightened
The Streamlight Ultra does not look like a comfortable "belt light", at least for daliy use due to its large reflector. Do you have any experiance or insite as to its "wearability"

D

**DONOTDELETE**

i have been issued the stinger, i dont even keep it on me or in my car. it takes too long to charge (no i will not buy a fast charger, it should have come with one). as i said before i think an adjustible beam is useless in my job,and my style of work. I have NEVER intentionally used the flood beam and cannot think of a single instance that i would. although every time i used it the focus had somehow shifted. i have dropped streamlights, magchargers and surefires, i have used them all as impact devices against doors, windows and such. all of the bulbs have broken, with the mag light breaking the most often. i personally prefer fixed beam lights. yes the sl series is fixed, but carrying the sl's or the magcharger presents another problem of keeping up with the light once you begin to fight/arrest/detain/control or just walk away. my 6z was a direct replacement for the stinger. and the 8nx replaced my magcharger. yes i know the mag charger is brighter. these are only my opinions, and your results may vary. in case anyone wanted to know i have habitually gone 8 to 16 ten hour shifts on a set of 123's. that is using it sparingly, but its possible. also i carry the 6z and the 8nx on my duty belt, and can get in and out of the car, run and jump comfortably. the only thing im considering at this point is a 10x, and i believe i can wear it on my belt.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

i have been issued the stinger, i dont even keep it on me or in my car. it takes too long to charge (no i will not buy a fast charger, it should have come with one). as i said before i think an adjustible beam is useless in my job,and my style of work. I have NEVER intentionally used the flood beam and cannot think of a single instance that i would. although every time i used it the focus had somehow shifted. i have dropped streamlights, magchargers and surefires, i have used them all as impact devices against doors, windows and such. all of the bulbs have broken, with the mag light breaking the most often. i personally prefer fixed beam lights. yes the sl series is fixed, but carrying the sl's or the magcharger presents another problem of keeping up with the light once you begin to fight/arrest/detain/control or just walk away. my 6z was a direct replacement for the stinger. and the 8nx replaced my magcharger. yes i know the mag charger is brighter. these are only my opinions, and your results may vary. in case anyone wanted to know i have habitually gone 8 to 16 ten hour shifts on a set of 123's. that is using it sparingly, but its possible. also i carry the 6z and the 8nx on my duty belt, and can get in and out of the car, run and jump comfortably. the only thing im considering at this point is a 10x, and i believe i can wear it on my belt.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Yes, the Ultra Stinger has a large reflector.

It does not have a rapid charger option.

I'm sure you can buy an "o-belt" ring that the light could slide into hanging off your belt like a Maglite.

I would just slide it "IWB" on the backside, like I carry other long lights.

On the subject of FOCUSABLE lights.

I used to hate focusable lights, now I have changed my mind because they are damn useful. If I am searching a room, I open the focus giving me a wide pattern beam pattern (flood). If I need to check the tree line 40 yards out, I focus the beam nice and tight (spot).

I would rather have a wide beam than a tight beam, anyday.

The sure(dead)fires have tight beams that are fixed. Not for me.

I need a light that is capable of handling different functions. Spot to flood. That is useful light.

...and If I drop it, I don't want to worry if I have a $20.00 replacemnet bulb assembly in my pocket. hehehe