You win the lottery sometimes...

Luna

Enlightened
And I think I did yesterday. I decided I wanted a KL4 to put the E1L body with a 2-level switch. I went ahead and got an L4 so that I could used the L4 tube for the KL1 (I think that I'm about to boost to about 1A for a really nice throw light :) )

The KL4 I ended up with is brighter than my L2 and a visual ceiling bounce puts it right there with my U2 (sporting a very nice WWOS emitter). The cool thing is this from a single RCR123a. :D

The low second stage is currently set to output a low like that of my gladius (night time sneaking around light) but I now wish for a 3rd stage for a daytime low level :)

It is a cool little setup.

Canuke

Enlightened
I've been wondering about that. I have an L4 from 2003 with what is the greenest Luxeon in my collection so far, and am wondering whether it would be worth picking up a new KL4 to see how much brighter/efficient it might be. Right now it still considerably outperforms any of my single Lux III lights of much more recent vintage for total output.

The alternative is modding it myself, which I've not looked into yet... I'm waiting to move out of this studio apt into a new place with the GF, ideally with room for a workbench. When that happens, I'm going to go to town, starting with all these blue X1's I have.