LGI Build Update w/Pictures

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Not wanting those waiting to feel left out, I have attempted to give you a sense of what it's like trying to pump out several dozen LGIs yet maintaining the best QC possible in a one-man shop.

First here is what it looks like when about half the donors are piled up in front of you and you suddenly realize the size of the task ahead, and how little of your life you will have to yourself over the coming days:

fd10c926.jpg

There are hours spent toiling over little parts that will never be seen by the end user. Here is one of the wire contacts removed from the Brinkmann bulb socket in order to facilitate insertion of one of the wire leads going to the Luxeon:

fd10c927.jpg

Here is the same contact after the needlepoint soldering iron has done its duty:

fd10c92b.jpg

Just to put things in perspective:

fd10c92a.jpg

This is the family picnic table on the back porch, the scene of many a happy summer day with my wife and daughter, sipping ice teas and sharing laughs, now overrun by offensively alien hardware:

fd10c93b.jpg

Dedicated to the relentless quest for Luxeon photons, I remain as ever,

grift

Enlightened
hey if you posted all this useful insight then it means you AREN'T making lights!!!!

back to the shop w/ya and make haste
tongue.gif
grin.gif

-Eritt

WayneM

Newly Enlightened
Hey....

I'm pretty sure I saw my name on that one right there - over toward the center right up near the top.

The one destined to be the brightest LGI ever.

Yes! That one.

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somehow, I can relate to this Mr. Bulk.

Haw! You poor devil,,,,,,,,,

WayneM

Newly Enlightened
Sorry. Not to make you feel rushed, Mr. B, but we are like kids just before Christmas, and you are the chief elf.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Grift, I was taking a break, I promise. And now I am typing this from work! Will resume The Task tomorrow.

WayneM, you can pick any one you want. At that stage they were all still incandescents...

Dear Sensei, no wonder you got me into this. Misery loves company!

Signed,

Chief Elf

Zephyr

Enlightened
Mr Bulk and to all you modders out there who wants to share their modding skills with us,

I just want to thank you personally for sharing your skills and dedication for people like me who are just not gifted in modding things like that. I can't even imagine the level of patience and dedication that you put into one of these mods, let alone, a dozen of them or more!! I cannot wait to get my LGI and my Cyclops, but as long as they are in the safe hands of the creator being molded, just gives me a nice feeling that I am going to get one of the best mods out there. So once again, I thank you very much!!

Take care,
ZEPH

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Sheesh, guess I gotta make Zeph's one real careful now, not just throw'em out quick-like, like how I'll be making Grift's and WayneM's... ;^)

WayneM

Newly Enlightened
I'm not worried one bit, given that:

1) Your work always turns out great, and
2) any workmanship deficiencies can easily be corrected by installation of an additional LS.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I'm kind of sensitive...let me wipe my eyes...it's like, like...watching the birth of a child! I can't talk now....

Actually, it's great to see "A Work In Progress!!" Thanks for keeping us in touch!

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Charlie,

You are a true pillar in the mod world and I would hate for you to lose your passion over supply vs. demand vs. time issues. I know the Aloha spirit runs deep in you, but don't let that picnic table turn into a workbench. Family first, mods second. Your hobby will seem less like a job when your family is behind you.

My $.02

Aloha
Brian

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Thanks guys, and to BigHonu: spoken like a man who already has his LGI! But you are right -- I think I'll stop right now, take a week off, and fly myself and my family down to Disney World...

See you guys later.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mr Bulk,

I'll fly my family down and meet you there to pick up my LGI;)

Fun to see the picts of the artist in action! I am eagerly awaiting mine, but don't hurt yourself!

Thanks,
James

PeterM

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by MR Bulk:
I think I'll stop right now, take a week off, and fly myself and my family down to Disney World...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">CHARLIE STOP. TURN BACK NOW!!. Florida's a LIVING HELL!! Sinkholes everywhere, Tornados, Fires, Hail, SNOW!! Besides, DISNEYWORLD IS CLOSED. Yeah, really. BUBONIC PLAQUE
shocked.gif
from all the rodents. The chamber of commerce is keeping it secret, but I got an e-mail here from a guy on the "inside"; (does the name mick ring a bell?) So stay there in Sunny Hawaii where it's nice & safe
smile.gif
Keep the brinkmans handy to ward off any attacking rodents and I'll let you know when the coast is clear, (What's my LGI's ETA again?). Just lookin' out for yer best interests ya know.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Charlie,

I just want to echo Zephyr's and especially BigHonu's thoughts.

I had a creative passion in one area of my life that I thought would never die. "Success" was what killed it, because it consumed more and more of my time and energy and started to become tedious. Eventually I began to resent it and finally I just flat out quit.

Don't let that happen to you Charlie (and I guess this could apply to all our successful modders).

Big Honu's formula rings true: Family first, then hobby

Brightnorm

LoneRebel

Enlightened
Mr. Bulk, I have to agree with the others here. Its great that you are offering us flashaholics a way to fuel our disorder. You never know, I might've died of flashlight envy if it werent for you:)

Dean L

Newly Enlightened
Oh oh, I've been reading about this LGI now most of the afternoon (and morning) and now I'm lusting after one. Is there a list, how do I get my sweaty hands on one of these? I'll send an email just in case there is a list since I know you are slaving away making the ones that have recently been ordered.

I gotta have one, I'm hopeless when I find something that is state of the art.

RickLux

Newly Enlightened
Wow I didn't think about all the pressure thats on you with the list growing every day. And you guys that are pressuring Mr Bulk to turn your mods out faster should be ashamed.
So all you flashaholics
that are in front of me in the waiting list should do the right thing and move yourselves to the end of the list for Mr Bulks sake. You know it's the only right thing to do. Just email him and say you re sorry and if you are in front of me
tell him to move you to the back of the list. You need to stop thinking about yourselves. Think about Mr Bulk.
twak.gif
["Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away." ]

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
As the pile slowly rises

fd0ffeca.jpg

And fat ziplocks are made

fd0ffec7.jpg

They begin shipping Monday

Out to those who first paid.