40 year old brass 2-cell light with SMJLED

Gadget_Guru

Newly Enlightened
My Dad made this light on board ship back in the '60s, when he worked for Sea-Land after graduating from the USMMA. It was made from brass bar stock. The reflector/bulb mount, lens, internal switch slide and tail cap spring were scavenged from a commercial flashlight. The rest was made on a lathe.

The reflector is steel, with bright plating on the front side (chrome, nickel?), and a copper wash on the back side, where the switch slide makes contact. The lens is actually laminated safety glass, like an auto windshield.

I last used it about ten years ago, with what I thought was a pretty "high-tech" setup at the time. I had a pair of Radio Shack high capacity (4000mAH) D-cell NiCds, and a Radio Shack 2-cell halogen bulb. Seemed quite bright to me, with good run time.

It's been sitting in pieces for years, so I decided to give it a new lease on life. I threw all the brass parts in my huge Lyman tumbler and ran it 2 or 3 hours to shine the parts up a bit. I put it all back together with Deoxit ProGold, and installed a PR type SMJLED. The LED works very well, with a very broad, smooth spill, and a good hot spot. I haven't tried it at night yet, but I expect it will be pretty good at medium distance. I'm running alkaline Ds in it, as with such huge run-time, rechargeables would be dead from self-discharge long before the Alkys go dead from occasional use.

It's quite a handful at a hair under two pounds loaded. It would make quite a club if needed. Not at all waterproof, though, as the sliding switch is not sealed. I do rather like this old beast, for sentimental reasons and for it's very solid feel.

brass_light_1.jpg

brass_light_2.jpg

brass_light_3.jpg

brass_light_4.jpg

Here is a zip file with a bunch more photos of this light, should you wish to see the innards.

Ganp

Enlightened
Your father did a great job on that light, and you have done him proud on the restoration IMHO. Looks sweet...

As a newbie I am delighted to see that CPF is not just about LED's, li-ion's, and the latest gizmos.

Ganp,

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
VERY NICE - now that's something to keep in the family! Thanks for sharing that with us!! :thumbsup:

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Very cool heirloom! And nice updating job, too! It has priceless sentimental value, and can actually be used as well, what more can you ask for?

Hey Ganp and Rookwood, welcome to CPF, why dontcha stay awhile!

daloosh

JoeBob

Newly Enlightened
Wow, that is cool.
Thanks for sharing your treasure with us.
Your Dad was way ahead of the modding curve!

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats cool .Id buy something like that! A true custom!!Nice job.