Help/advice with K2 Luxeons

funkazoid

Newly Enlightened
Currently on my bike I'm running 4 1w Luxeons for my rear indicators (2 on each side) and I'm planning in the next few months to finally convert the front indicators to LED too. I've noticed that on Farnell here in the UK are listing the K2's and seem to be slightly cheaper than the 1w Luxeons. I am now considering removing the Luxeons that I've currently got and replacing them with the K2's - although Farnell list them they do state that they are waiting on stock, but I'm not in a great hurry just yet.

After reading the K2 datasheet it appears that the amber K2 appears to be recommended to be run at 350mA but can be driven at upto 700mA. Obviously if I drive them at 700mA I'll get more brightness as opposed to driving them at 350mA but I couldn't find what the typical brightness is on an amber K2 driven at 700mA is. If I drive them at 350mA the typical output is reportedly 60 lumens each - which is still a minimum of 20 lumens more than my current lux1's ( I'm not sure the ones I have are the newer 42 lumen versions or not) I'm trying to get the indicators to be a bit brighter mainly due to the 8 red lux 1w I have as stop/tail lights ( they are dimmed as tail lights but on full power as stop lights)

Currently I'm driving the indicators with Luxdrives BuckToots of which I have a spare so to convert the front to LED I only need to get one more...That's if I run the K2's at 350mA. I'm leaning more towards running them at 350mA as it will be cheaper but I'm curious about the brightness at 700mA!

Many thanks :)

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
are you VERY sure that the luxeon k2 is amber and not Red/Orange?
coz they have diff lumen rating.

for the amber, highest lumens bin R, 350ma-45 lumens, 700ma-75 lumens

for highest R/O, highest lumens bin S, 350ma-60 lumens, 700ma-100 lumens

funkazoid

Newly Enlightened
Ooops! I must've read that datasheet with my eyes shut!

Oh well, it looks like I'm going to have to spend more cash to get the extra lumens! It's a shame Farnell doesn't list the R00 bin, they only list the P00 and Q00.

Probably a stupid question - Would a 20 lumen increase be noticeable? I'm just trying to justify spending the money to myself!

funkazoid

Newly Enlightened
Just realised that the Lux 1w I used were only of the common garden batwing variety so it's only be be a fairly big jump from 25lm to 70lm - Just wish I knew how long it will take for the K2's to be in stock...