Is E2L a good constant on light? or too hot?

jtodd939

Newly Enlightened
In the surefire light selection, what is a good light for illuminating a path for travel in pitch black surroundings? I'd like the light to have the following characteristics:

1.) does NOT get too hot to hold when left on for several minutes at a time. I want to be able to hold the light in my hand while navigating with it for like 20 minutes at a time. I want this even at the cost of lumens.

2.) Have about a 1.5 hour or longer runtime.

3.) Be of small size for EDC (so I got it in an emergency).

dragoman

Enlightened
I would say an E2L or a 6P with a KL3/KL1 head. LEDs will not get too hot after running for extended periods, your runtime will be much greater than an incan, and the output is fairly bright.

Plus a 2-cell light like this is pretty small....

dragoman

cobra-ak

Newly Enlightened
E2L is my work light, throws a squarish focused beam pretty far, it does get a little warm but not overly so.

SCblur

Enlightened
E2L does not get hot when left on. A little warm, but never hot. It seems to fit all of your requirements, w/ about 3 hours of regulated output followed by dimming light thereafter. You might also consider an L2, getting the benefit of two stages of output. The light will never get hot, or even warm, on low. You have brightness and runtime available to you in a single light. The L2 is one of my favorite lights to use outside when hiking or camping. The flood beam is very good for that. If you're intent on a tighter beam pattern though, the E2L is a great choice.

P.S. I know you specified Surefire, but if you were wiling to venture a little, an HDS basic 42XR would fit the bill very nicely.

There are many options out there, I have only commented on these as they are lights I own. Good luck in your search.

jtodd939

Newly Enlightened
SCblur said:
If you're intent on a tighter beam pattern though, the E2L is a great choice.

I was actually thinking of getting it with an F03 diffuser so I could have the option of more flood, plus help protect the glass in bezel.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I had a KL1 it got warm but I don't ever recall it getting hot. For the use your describing I personally would use (and do use) a E2O. The MN02 lamp is perfect for navigating dark trails. The KL1 generates to much glare when illuminating the ground directly in front of one's self IMHO.

If your not fixated on Surefire products get a HDS B42 for $95. Much more runtime with a 42 lumen blast if needed. The 2 low settings are very very useful.

The E2L is a great light, but a little to one dimensional for my tastes. I guess you could get a beamfilter to round out its utility.

kelmo

jtodd939

Newly Enlightened
kelmo said:
For the use your describing I personally would use (and do use) a E2O. The MN02 lamp is perfect for navigating dark trails. The KL1 generates to much glare when illuminating the ground directly in front of one's self IMHO.

Thanks a lot for the comment kelmo. The MN02 is a good idea. The glare you described with E2L doesn't appeal to me. So maybe an incan is the way to go. I had discounted it because of the heat. But the MN02 won't get too hot to handle right? It can run for long periods and still be held?

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The MN02 gets warm but not hot. I've used mine for up to an hour constant on with no problem. Plus you get 2+ hours of good output before it starts to sag. You can always get a KL1 ala carte later on. This is a good way to squeeze more use out of your batteries. On "incan leftovers" the KL1 will run about 20-30 minutes in regulation. Of course YMMV.

SCblur's comment on the L2 is spot on. Mine is also a camping favorite.

Enjoy jtodd939!

jtodd939

Newly Enlightened
kelmo said:
The MN02 gets warm but not hot. I've used mine for up to an hour constant on with no problem. Plus you get 2+ hours of good output before it starts to sag. You can always get a KL1 ala carte later on. This is a good way to squeeze more use out of your batteries. On "incan leftovers" the KL1 will run about 20-30 minutes in regulation. Of course YMMV.

SCblur's comment on the L2 is spot on. Mine is also a camping favorite.

Enjoy jtodd939!

Seems like the L2 is awfully big. You recommend the L2 over the E2L?

I also read that putting "less than full" batteries into a light is not advised. I think this might have been on a headlamp that I recently bought (a princeton tech). This apply to surefires?

ATVMan

Newly Enlightened
I have used my E2e for almost an hour straight and it only got warm around the bezel and that was with an MN03

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Using 'less than full' batteries is not a good idea in multiple cel lights, but a single cel light its fine.

My E1L would get a little toasty, but not after 20 minutes. It would have to be on for an hour to get very noticably hot, and it still wasn't too bad. I'd recommend a L1 or E1L, I never had a problem with the tint causing the glare mentioned above.

schiesz

SCblur

Enlightened
the L2 is definitely bigger than the E2L, no debate there. That being said, I PREFER the L2 to the E2L in terms of its fit/feel and balance. It actually feels much better in my hand than the E2L. YMMV, but to me, the L2 just feels more centered in my hands (the E2L feels too heavy in the front to me). I also like the action on the 2-stage switch on the L2, I prefer it to an L4 w/ McE2s. If you are going to EDC it, you need to decide how big of a light you are willing to accept. I WILL edc the L2, but nothing bigger. It's definitely more to carry than the E2L, but you get two-stages of light (never underestimate this one) and a much brighter output level. I also believe the L2 beam is WAAAAYYYY more useful in everyday situations than the lightsaber beam KL1. Yes, you can put an f04 on there, but to me, it just makes the already ackwardly balanced E2L more so by adding more bulk to the bezel. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would get an L2 over an E2L. I grew up using Maglites. Having and using an L2 these past 2 years is heaven. Its not that much bigger than a Minimag.

As for the battery thing I've never had a problem. Just don't mix and match the spent cells.

A beamshaper on the E2L will give you a soft flood for in close use. So if you want small maybe this is the way to go?

Get the E2L and buy a E2e bezel and MN02 lamp and you will have both options on one host.

In response to schiesz's comment, the glare I'm refering to is an intense hot spot of light at your feet that kills your dark adapted eyes. When you shine a KL1 on anything within 5 feet the back scatter is intense IMHO.

Two many cool choices!

Last edited:

SCblur

Enlightened
I would for sure second the vote for an L1. comparable runtime (if you carry an extra batt. considering it only takes one) and the usefulness of two-stages. Better balance than the E2L also. One drawback however, is you can't mix-n-match parts like you can w/ a E2L and E-series components.

jtodd939

Newly Enlightened
SCblur said:
I would for sure second the vote for an L1. comparable runtime (if you carry an extra batt. considering it only takes one) and the usefulness of two-stages. Better balance than the E2L also. One drawback however, is you can't mix-n-match parts like you can w/ a E2L and E-series components.

What do you think, L1 or L2? base the choice solely on my preference for size?

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
kelmo said:
When you shine a KL1 on anything within 5 feet the back scatter is intense IMHO.

I don't have my E1L anymore, but this is probably true, as its pretty darn bright up close. I'd say under 3 feet it would be a problem, and probably more so on a E2L than an E1L.

An L2 on low would be no problem at those short distances, but the L2 on high is going to be a lot worse.

schiesz

SCblur

Enlightened
jtodd939 said:
base the choice solely on my preference for size?
...well, okay. If you're gonna back me into a corner like that, the L1. ;)

SCblur

Enlightened
schiesz said:
I don't have my E1L anymore, but this is probably true, as its pretty darn bright up close. I'd say under 3 feet it would be a problem, and probably more so on a E2L than an E1L.

An L2 on low would be no problem at those short distances, but the L2 on high is going to be a lot worse.

schiesz

Actually, my experience w/ my own lights has been that the E2L has a brighter hotspot than the L2 at anything past about three feet. Simply due to the fact that the KL1 head has all of its 22 lumens compresssed into a tight beam, and the L2 is very floody.

The-David

Flashaholic, Formerly KE7AYF
I finley decided on a KL1-R on my E2E for this use, I like the kl1 with the run time and throw but the square beem made me nuts soo off to be modded. more info Here

Last edited:

jtodd939

Newly Enlightened
Guys, what does McE2S as in L4 w/ McE2S mean? Is this the clicky tailcap?

Which has better balance/feel when held, the L1 or L2?