Nite Ize Minimag meltdown

gorn

Enlightened
Last night I was using my minimag with the nite ize led and switch. After it had been running for about 20 minutes it made a thump sound. I didn't think anything of it (I should know better). About 15 minutes later I turned the light off using the nite ize button. The light kept on working at a real dim level. I removed the switch tailcap and the light still stayed on. When I looked inside I saw battery acid bubbling away. I pulled the head and LED module off the light and then removed the batteries. There was no visible damage to either battery.

The batteries were new Energizers. I hope this is a case of a bad factory battery and not a design flaw in the Nite Ize. I am thinking one of the batteries came from the factory in a low charge state and caused the other one to work it's self to death.

The worst part of this whole thing is the minimag is one i've had for 15 -20 years. It was from the first woodland camo batch that was sold. The inside of the tube is corroded and real ugly at this point.

Anybody else had this type of thing happen using a Nite Ize?

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your experience is most likely not related to the use of the Nite Ize module but rather just an unfortunate circumstance that is an inherent risk in using any battery. While Energizer will pay for a replacement light to replace the one that was ruined, it is not likely that they would take into account any sentimental value that you may have in your particular light.

yekim

Enlightened
I have been having the most horrible luck with energizer alkalines lately, one of them leaking in a minimag/nite ize of all things, another leaking in a dorcy super 1 wat 2-AA. The dorcy came packaged with them, the minimag batts came from a 36 pack I bought at the home depot. I also noticed that they did not last very long in my digital camera, and that even cheap rayovac alkies lasted noticably longer.

I was thinking it was just me.