Surefire L4 VS L5 for an outdoor EDC light?

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please help me on deciding what to get for my next "Every Day Wilderness" flashlight.

Please point out the pros and cons of either light. Price or size difference is not an issue. I'm looking for outdoor performance (up to 40 feet distances), I'm not be using it in the city... So, should I get the L5 or L4? Why?

Thanks in advance.:)

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer the beam of the L5 over the beam of the L4 but the size of the L4 makes it a hard light to pass up if I could only bring one out hiking with me.

After some consideration, the weight and size of the L4 would tip the scales in its favor and I would select the L4.

One quick thought. Unless you have the 2 stage switch for the L4, you may want to consider the L2 for its great 2 stage performance.

Additionally, the L4 or the L2 would be my choice every time for distances up to 40 feet. Beyond that, the L5 begins to perform better.

-Goatee

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's EDC, i would go with an L4. The size of the thing is worth is alone and it's regulated. However, many places are backordered now.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's rural EDC. Bear in mind I'm used to pack much larger and heavier lights when I'm patrolling the camp site looking for snakes and spiders. So size is not an issue, both the L4 or the L5 are pretty small for this task. I don't plan to use this light for long hikes, I got proper lights for this. All I want is performance and great regulation, no two stage lights, no B.S, just a lot of power. I'll reiterate that I have plenty of other flashlights to choose when I need low-level of lights. Therefore, for this task, I want a one-stage single clickie 5W device with lots of light, flood is mandatory, and but it would be even better if it had some throw to compliment the flooding.

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
If size isn't an issue and you want flood and also some throw, i'd go with the L5 then. The L5 will throw quite a bit more than the L4. But the L4 will have a much brighter flood.

Luna

Enlightened
:)> said:
Additionally, the L4 or the L2 would be my choice every time for distances up to 40 feet. Beyond that, the L5 begins to perform better.
-Goatee

If you typically need the light over 20yrds, you probably need to pull out the incand light anyways.

Oh yeah, the real question is about size and that is what you really need to decide thispurchase on.

Danintex

Enlightened
I have both and always go for my L5 since I'm partial to the better throw. What you are describing is exactly what the L5 does- lots and lots of light with the best spillbeam besides the McGizmo lites I've seen and you can identify people up to about 75 yds no problem. At close range it lights up EVERYTHING. It also seems to manage heat better presumably because of the larger surface area.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
An alternative with a lot of throw and overall output could be a multiple Luxeon light. For example a modified head on a SF body.

Best regards

____
Tom

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Danintex said:
I have both and always go for my L5 since I'm partial to the better throw. What you are describing is exactly what the L5 does- lots and lots of light with the best spillbeam besides the McGizmo lites I've seen and you can identify people up to about 75 yds no problem. At close range it lights up EVERYTHING. It also seems to manage heat better presumably because of the larger surface area.
Thanks for the heads up!

That's it, I'm definitely getting the L5.

Latest posts