@3AA Brinkmann modders - advice request

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys,

after getting my 3AA Brinkmann body earlier this year and hopefully soon having some LS HD 1W at hand I´m planning on putting one 3AA LS together.

As this is one often-used mod-body I would like to ask the "usual suspects" some questions:

How did you put the LS in place - asking because of heatsinking issues, and centering and such.

How did you connect to the terminals - asking because if you solder/glue the LS in place inside the head and you screw the head on/off whats happening to the wires ...

Any feedback / comment / advice highly appreciated

Just want to safe me some troubles this time - and don´t want to burn / destroy another LS - actually my first LS (self-made Zetek Minimag) did destroy "itself" partly over a short timeframe due to problems in the above mentioned areas.

TIA

Klaus

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Klaus,

A picture is worth a thousand words:

ddpic.jpg

Use thermal epoxy to mount the Luxeon to a small round heatsink. Bond the heat sink to the top of the battery tube with thermal epoxy; wires pass thru holes in heatsink. This way the head can be moved in and out without hurting the wires. For your 3AA mod, consider a 1/8" thick heatsink of aluminum. For best heatsinking, bond the head to the battery tube.

I'll be waiting for your pics of the completed mod.
grin.gif

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thx Lambda,

one question though - would this setup be used with the stock reflector or the collimator - from memory I kind of remember that using the collimator in a Brinkmann head it would leave more room towards the battery tube - meaning that if the board is glued to the battery tube the collimator would sit too high as it can´t get any lower into the head. Confused
confused.gif

Klaus

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is plenty of room for the collamator lens. Just file the lens tab down, pull out the reflector and drop in the lens. You can then screw the above mod into the head. You can get a little focusing effect with a HD Luxeon using the lens by screwing it in/out.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finally found some time ... and want to thank again for the above hints/tips on the 3AA Brinkmann - it actually worked quite well.

With the three nice 1W HD Q3´s I got at hand I modded a dead ARC LS rev 1 head and a KL1 which both now "beam" way better than the original products IMO - plus a 2AA headlamp using 30mm optics and a ZLT+ CCR (thx to René). The original LD 1W which is like most KL1´s I suppose a little on the violet/blue side went into the 3AA Brinkmann and using the advice from the gentlemen above I didn´t screw up this time.

No pics though - while I didn´t screw up this time my work just isn´t "up to spec" compared to the modding masters around here - so I won´t humiliate myself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Klaus

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
come on
BEAM SHOT! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
@shiftd

its plain daylight here and pretty sunny - so those have to wait - I´ll promise to supply beamshots of all the 4 mentioned mods soon ... even when clearly demonstrating my inability to properly allign those dreaded HDs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

Klaus

Off and out now - Father´s Day calling - nono - won´t get horribly drunk as seems to be good german tradition on Father´s Day /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif