Yet another 9 volt clip light

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Folks,

Just uploaded some pictures of my entry into the "build LED's into a 9 volt battery clip" category
wink.gif

clip3.jpg

http://www.sentman.com/led/clip9v/

This one has 2 3mm LEd's and is resistered (?!) to use up the last bit of remaining power from the 9volts that I use up in my other 6LED 9volt homemade light.

With the LED's ground down flat, this really makes a very good area light.

phil_ais

Newly Enlightened
Wow! I like it! what was the resistor size you used? are you using a depleted 9 volt that you were using with the larger array?

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks
wink.gif
I just re-took some of the pictures, and I forgot entirely to post the picts of it wearing it's reflector. So the webpage is updated now.

nclip5.jpg

The resister is custom setup to use the 9volts as they come out of my other 6 led light. I believe it was a 58 ohm? I mentioned on the site that I built an additional resister into another 9v clip so that with that installed between it and the battery you can use it on a fresh battery, and when the new one runs down you just remove it and get more good light.

Thanks,
James

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i have seen similar products at radioshack, can't remember the cost though.

Saaby

Flashaholic
I've just not had a thought. Some universal adaptors have an adaptor on them for use in a product that takes a 9V battery. Use one of these clip-style lights with it (Like the one in the C Crane Catalogue) and Voila! Instant, but ugly, 110V powered LED light.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Saaby,

Yes, that would work perfectly, you might have to adjust the resister to get the most light without overdriving them though. There wouldn't be any battery resistance to take into account, which with a 6 cell 9v is significant. But it could certainly be done.

But if you're going to do that then you could just as easily build some LED's into a regular DC power adaptor plug from radio shack and set it up specifically to be plugged into any 9v adaptor. Or better yet a 12v adaptor. You could run several chains of 3 in series from even a small wall wort...

I'll add it to the end of my already long list of mods to work on;)

Thanks,
James