CR2 IONs: head-to-head runtime drag race

liqht

Newly Enlightened
i have 2 CR2 IONs, one aluminum HA (Alu) and the other aluminum bronze (AluBro).

the AluBro is not as bright as the Alu, so i figured i'd probably get longer runtime with it. i got a bunch of brand new CR2 batteries today and decided to have myself a little flashlight drag race.

the batteries are maxell gold, currently 12/$18 at batterystation on the CPF specials page. i opened the package and took out 2 batteries and put one in each flashlight.

i got 2 short fat drinking glasses and put 1" of water in each to act as heatsink, since this is a drag race and i'll be running them on HIGH. i put the glasses across the room so flashlights will shine up the wall and i can keep an eye on them while i'm on the computer.

i turned each light on HIGH and stood each one on its tail in its own glass. Alu got a few seconds head start because i couldn't turn them on at the same time.

here's how it went:

7:07 pm started test
8:04 pm Alu began strobing
8:10 pm Alu stopped strobing and dropped out of HIGH
8:14 pm AluBro dropped out of high without strobing
8:19 pm AluBro began strobing and quickly dropped again

Alu - 57 minutes on HIGH
AluBro - 67 minutes on HIGH

it's now 9:36 pm and both lights are still going, although very very dim (dimmer than LOW mode).

end of test.

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good test! I haven't run any time test with my alum. bronze but I was wondering how long it would run on low?? The CR ION is one of my favorite lights.

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
greenLED said:
I wonder if AluBro has higher resistance

I was thinking better heat dissapation ( but whadda I know???)....why were you thinking higher resistance?

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
The connection to the negative (-) on the battery goes through the body of the flashlight. If al-bronze has more resistance than the aluminum, that'd result in different performance.

StanTeate

Enlightened
Bronze is a more dense metal isn't it. Being more dense, it would provide less resistence, i would think, hence more run time? I may be wrong.