Princeton Tec EOS optic vs IMS reflector *beamshots*

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beamshot of my moms unmodded EOS vs the one I just built for addirondackdestroyer with SX0H LuxI and IMS S017XA reflector.

The LED swap alone increased my measured throw (keep in mind my meter exagerates) from 980 to 1280 which is a 30.6% increase in output. The IMS S017XA reflector adds a tremendous amount of spill to the light, but decreases throw. It is now about 900 for throw instead of 1280, but the spillbeam is fantastic.

Princeton%20Tec%20EOS%20optic%20vs%20reflector.jpg

beam color is not accurately represented because i had my camera set to "indoor" color balance

Last edited:

Pila_Power

Enlightened
Cookski! :p

Since a headlamp isn't really designed to be a huuuuge thrower a tradeoff for more spill over throw is acceptable.

With a diffuser of some sort it'll change again a bit I think.

I'm going to try to get some comparison shots soon too with diffuser.

Nell

Enlightened
The extra width of the beam even without the star upgrade is worth it. Any photos of what was done to fit the reflector ?

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The reflector drops right into the optic holder with the optic removed. You need to make sure the legs of the reflector touch the star, so you'll have to turn it so they clear wires and the plastic of the optic holder. I may put a tiny dot of epoxy on each leg just to help secure it to the star.

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone tried this with a McR-18? It looks pretty good with the IMS17.

Pila_Power

Enlightened
The optic is removed by lifting it - it's not attached with any adhesive or pressure - just a nice fit drop-in.

I have only tried with an IMS reflector.

ktronik

Enlightened
Bogus1 said:

The McR-18 does not fit...sorry I have already tried...stick with a IMS 17mm or a Cut down IMS 20...

Ktronik

Cypher

Enlightened
As a point of reference could you tell us what bin was in the unmodified light in the top picture? I'd like to know if you got the jump in performance going from an R bin to an S bin or if it had a Q or something in it. Thanks.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cypher said:
As a point of reference could you tell us what bin was in the unmodified light in the top picture? I'd like to know if you got the jump in performance going from an R bin to an S bin or if it had a Q or something in it. Thanks.

The top light has not been taken apart, but its lux measurement is actually exactly the same as the modified one before the mods were done.

All of the EOS's that I've worked on and have measured have been within about 5% of each other for brightness and all had R**H bins in them.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bogus1 said:

the mcr18 is too high... unless you have a weird EOS or you trim it down... i doubt you'll see much of an improvement though...

mcr9yo.jpg

(not my photo, credit goes to initial poster, McR18 on the right, IMS 17mm on the left)