Which 5-Watt Mod Is Better?

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
I fully intend to overdrive a white 5-watt Lambertian on 9V (as soon as I get my hands on some), but can't decide between a larger light like a Maglite 2D using 6AAs, or a smaller light like a SureFire/Maglite 2C using 3x123s.

The handiness of a smaller light would be offset by the cost of the lithiums, while the lower operating expense of a light running on AAs would be offset by carrying a bigger light.

If it cost the same to build either, which would be a more desirable mod?

MicroE

Enlightened
Mr. B.----Your personal economics and needs will drive the choice. I built a 9V 5W cyan in a 2D mag and it is TOO BIG. When I get white 5 Watters I will make them smaller. To me size matters more than run cost.---Marc

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like both since they serve different purpose. 6AA NiMH on Mag 2D light and SF 3 cells. Will it be driven by BB700?

Second thought, if regulated, I'd get both. If not, I'll get 6AA NiMH on Mag 2D only.

Alan

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd go with the smaller option, just because I like flashlights that I can carry easily at all times.

That way it's there when I need it and not sitting in a drawer at home.

Stefan

Enlightened
Mr. B....
Something to think about. If you arrange 3x123 into a pyramid (similiar to this):
BP7.jpg

The diameter would be between the size of a C and a D cell, and total length shorter than a C.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
In a case where battery costs can mount up on a light that you'd use frequently, I'd always go for the conventional size batteries (AA, AAA, C, D)... I love the size of the 123s and all, but cell costs in the long run will get to you.

6AA Alkas or NiMHs is the best configuration I'd be looking for. For the most part, my lights are used very frequently (30min-1H each day), so naturally, I'd favor rechargeables...

r2

Enlightened
If the Mag 2D body wasn't so big I'd vote for it, but it seems like a waste of space. If there was something the size of the PT Surge I'd go for that as a general purpose light.

As it is, I think I'd prefer a 3x123 configuration.

- Russ

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems that reflector from 3AA brinkmann couldn't be optimized for 5W LS. However, having Wizard 800 might be good for 3AA to drive 1W LS - regulated LGI.

Alan

trailstoride

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by Alan:
It seems that reflector from 3AA brinkmann couldn't be optimized for 5W LS. However, having Wizard 800 might be good for 3AA to drive 1W LS - regulated LGI.

Alan
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Is the optic collimator for the 5W LS too large for the 3AA Brinkmann?

-Ron

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by trailstoride:
Is the optic collimator for the 5W LS too large for the 3AA Brinkmann?

-Ron[/QB]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I didn't know Lumiled produce optic collimator for 5W LS.

Alan

BeamChucker

Newly Enlightened
I really like the feel of my Maglite 2C with 3 lithiums in it for driving a 9.6V Xenon. It is way cool, fits the hand just right, light in the hand, etc. I'm really going to love it when I can get a stepped up 2C Mag (I hope this is possible, where's dat2zip?) pushing a 5W. But it eats 4 123's in about 45min and the 5W won't be much better. Yes,its fun but expensive and is a special use flashlight for me. It is nowhere's near an EDC.

You want to use 9V so the 6AA option looks pretty good in runtime comparison. But how about a 12AA? Take a 3D shorten it and rethread. It would only be about a 1/2" longer than a 2D and you would have almost the equivalent of 3D's. It would last a long time and would still be a somewhat convenient carry.
You could make a module that would have two banks of 6AA's. It probably wouldn't be too hard to rig. You would need a battery separator and specially rigged end plates one permanently mounted near the head and the other held in place by the tailcap. The plate near the head just needs to combine the two banks of 6AA's and the tailcap plate just needs to connect the strings of 6A's together. Am I dreamin?

StreamChucker

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamchucker:

You are probably significantly underdriving your 9.6V ? Amp bulb with 3 lithiums. I alternate a 9.6 v 1.2 A Carley Xenon bulb in my 2C driven by 4 lithiums with a 6.0 v 1.7 A Krypton Star driven by 3 lithiums.

BeamChucker

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Lemlux. Actually I am using 4 as you originally suggested. I indadvertently wrote 3 and referred to 4 later. I am still waiting for my Carley. It's on its way. This is the best super easy mod going, Lemlux. Thanks for the idea.

StreamChucker

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Being the "conservative" modder, I'll be building the 2D... Why? ..cause I got 15 6AA battery holders on nthe way!
grin.gif